Governments and Politics III

To the Administration of Shanghai

We summon Lord Hong Qing and Master Rhee Syngman to speak before council and the Lord of All China to explain the irregular transition of power that has occurred in Shanghai and renew the bond of fealty rightly owed to the Lord of China by the Lord of Shanghai.

sincerely

Lord Shu Wei.

-

Public Speech (Shu Wei)

People of Beijing, although unworthy, Heaven and council have seen fit to appoint me to the position of Lord of China and ruler of Beijing. I shall endeavour to the utmost to ensure the future prosperity of the generations in my actions, and to build China up as a strong and content country rightly envied by all under heaven. This may necessitate changes to the way things have heretofore been done, yet at the same time as moving forward I shall endeavour to ensure that all that is done shall conform and build upon the great and worthy tradition which has been passed down to us by our ancestors, which has to this day served well in maintaining harmony amongst the great Chinese family.

China faces many outside foes and challenges, from the Zulu to the north, to the expansion of our rivals in the east, to the dissension in Shanghai and the acts of unworthy men who neglect the path of wisdom and self-cultivation in conformity to the ethical teachings, and the illumination of the gods. Yet with our gaze firmly resolved and fixed upon that place of excellence to which we as a people should aspire, we can overcome these challenges and ascend to the peak of civilisation and power. Yet it is not by the acts of one man that this can be done, but through the cumulative acts of the people. Hence I ask all of you who love China and lover your people and your families to in the utmost aspire to personal excellence, to service to virtue, and to do the best one can in all your works. Insodoing all can contribute to the good of China and play a part in building a civilisation worthy of our children.

Top Bottom