1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Governments and Politics III

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by Civleader, Aug 16, 2015.

1. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

Discussion

As the suggestion of a shrine has rather overwhelmed the discussion it would be easy to miss the less controversial matters. There is already a broad consensus in place for exactly what you propose. Nevertheless it is always to the good for another voice to be raised in support so the council know that the people of China take a keen interest in these matters.

2. Civleader

Civleader King

Session 1 Turn 2 is now over

I apologize for the delay, I've been occupied with Brazilian bureaucratic processes. Should have orders results by tomorrow.

3. Civleader

Civleader King

Session Report

There was commotion and a certain degree of excitement as the sun rose from the horizon. A small caravan approached from the west and woke everyone up as it passed through the city. They were men with bare torsos. They had markings on their bodies, some going from their shoulders to their arms. They rode their tired horses past the huddled huts an houses of the lower district, reached the small plateau of the poor district, and crossed the market. Here they slowed down. Security Forces stopped them. One man approached the guards and gave them a letter. Security Forces sent to call for an emissary, which did not take long to arrive. The word of these visitors was spreading like wildfire. The emissary bowed to them and motioned for them to continue. He led them to the main square where the visitors dismounted. Only one man continued towards the palace. The rest stood with their clubs next to their horses. People began to gather to see whom these foreigners were. They shared similar traits, unlike the Zulus who were dark skin and had curly hair, or the Jerusilites who had round eyes and brownish skin. They were also large and well built, which intimidated some. The foreigner who led the group went into the palace, to speak to Lord Wong we suppose. People could only wonder now what they were to speak of, and hope the Zulu incident would not repeat itself with these visitors.

Lord Wong of Beijing, the time approaches to announce to China your decisions.

What shall we produce in Beijing?
    What shall we research?
    What shall our Social Policy be?
    What shall our workers do?
    What shall our warriors do?

Lord Hong Li of Shanghai, your task would be the same.
    What shall we produce in Shanghai?

Session 1 Turn 3 has now begun.

City maps are now up:

Spoiler Beijing :
    " align="" border="0" />

Spoiler Shanghai :
    " align="" border="0" />

4. Civleader

Civleader King

In addition, you should now choose what to spend on food and where to live for the transition time (now that most of you have an income).

5. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

Three points

1. Do we have approximate costs for food and accomodation
    2. Those city maps are awesome
    3. There are only two points

6. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: 0.08 for meat or fish, 0.06 for general food in other categories. Houses are 0.06 to build and maintain for middle class dwellings, and 0.02 nets you above average clothes.

7. Civleader

Civleader King

The average prices for items are in the Quick Reference Charts (second sheet labeled economics)

8. Wyverncraft

Wyverncraft ¡Viva la Revolución!

So how do game turns equate to game years? Is it one to one? Or is one turn more like five or ten years?

9. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: One session of 10 turns = 5 years of time in our setting.

10. Civleader

Civleader King

Jehoshua is correct.

24 hours left to submit orders for Session 1 Turn 3

11. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

I'm gonna join this as Zhao Junxiang, male.

Give me time, I've got to read everything first. :p

(by which I mean, don't put me on the update just yet)

12. dot80

dot80 Emperor

Wong Ju Jian [Lord of China]

The time has finally come for me to make my decisions regarding the issues before us. I have been patient. I have sat and listened to all parties put forth their plans for how China should move forward. Every man from the lowest of paupers to the richest of lords has been free to voice their opinions. Now, having listened and contemplated all of these, I will make my decision. I will refrain from giving reasoning for each of these, as it would only be a rehash of what has already been said in this square. Once we finish a granary in Beijing, we will produce a Shrine, followed after by an Archer. If both of these are completed in the intervening years until the next council, we shall begin construction on a Water Mill. We shall research Bronze Working then Trapping. We will adopt Legalism as a social policy. Our workers shall build a quarry east of Beijing, then a mine on the desert hill southeast of Beijing. Finally, the warriors shall continue to push north and explore the lands surround Ur and the Zulu.

In addition, I will add that our citizens shall be reallocated to reach the optimal production/growth balance, as described previously bu Shu Wei. Lord Hong Li of Shanghai has agreed to Shu Wei’s proposal as well.

Spoiler :

Being the lord of a large and numerous people, it is impossible for me to make everyone happy. Inevitably some will disagree with my decisions, that is just the nature of living in a large group. I will ask, however, that each and every man and woman realize that I have long meditated and considered these issues. My decisions are the result of a long and cautious process of listening and weighing the arguments that have been presented. I truly believe the orders I have chosen are not only wise, but reflect the general consensus come to by the great men of China.

Hong Li [Lord of Shanghai]

Once we complete our current production in Shanghai, we shall start on an Archer.

13. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Shu Wei - Discussion

I believe that Lord Wong's decisions made after due consideration make a fair allowance for the differing thoughts of the citizens and mark a good way forward for China. Additionally I wholeheartedly approve of Lord Hong's decision to train an archer after the completion of the monument. While originally I thought that a granary would be best due to the poor fertility of Shanghai and the need for food supply there, and argued for such. Given the Zulu threat and the arguments of others my thinking on this matter has changed. This being particularly since if Shanghai needs food it is possible to make up the supply through sending caravans north from Beijing, taking advantage of the capitals ample surplus meaning the necessity for a granary is of a lower order than the potential military menace from the Northern Devils (Zulu).

14. Tambien

Tambien Theseus, Duke of Athens

Tán Qiáng - Discussion

I bow to the wisdom of our Lord Wong in his decision. May it serve China well.

15. Civleader

Civleader King

Session 1 Turn 3 is now closed Conclusion Update and order results shall be up soon.

16. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

In case you can't tell, I'm going to have to drop this for now. May reappear later.

17. Civleader

Civleader King

No problem, feel free to come back any time.

18. Civleader

Civleader King

Conclusion Update

The Lord pronounced the awaited words containing the orders for the future years of Beijing. Many were disappointed. Some may have had hope; others may have feared this was coming. This feeling however did not manifest publicly. People left the public square, some not caring anymore, others feeling resentment towards the lord, cursing him and his weak and malleable mind as they left to their homes. Others felt a sentiment of panic; would they survive a surprise attack from the Zulus? Would they be able to feed their family any longer without employment and a role in society? To the few satisfied citizens they left feeling good things awaited for the future, but for the rest, the years ahead were full of uncertainty. Thus China plunged ahead into the relative darkness.

Orders summary:

Beijing Production
    Finish granary -> Shrine -> Archer -> Water Mill

Research
    Bronze Working -> Trapping

Social Policy
    Legalism

Shanghai Production
    Archer

Workers orders
    Quarry east of Beijing -> Mine on desert hill southeast of Beijing

Military orders
    Warriors are to explore northern lands surrounding Ur and Zulu

Population Relocation Special Decree
    Beijing: settlements on farmlands to relocate to future quarry and desert hill mine
    Shanghai: settlement on tundra to be relocated to silver hill at edge of city.

Session 1 is now over
    I will give a grace period of about 24 hours to queue any actions for transition time. Then its processing time and Session 2!

19. Warriorman

Warriorman Chieftain

I'm also leaving as well.

20. Civleader

Civleader King

News Report

T61 (1560 BC)
    A worker unit in Beijing begins construction of a quarry.
    Spoiler :
    " align="" border="0" />

T62 (1520 BC)
    Settlement relocation programs finished, as the populations of the farmlands were moved to the salt mines and desert hills.
    A worker unit in Shanghai finished a farm and is now moving to Beijing Desert hills.

T63 (1480 BC)
    A granary is completed in Beijing. Work now begins on a shrine.
    Chinese Scouts meet their counterparts of previously unknown people: the Russian and the French. They also find the Greek city of Sparta.
    Spoiler :
    " align="" border="0" />

" align="" border="0" />

T65 (1400 BC)
    An emissary from Ur tells China they are looking for new trade opportunities. They have heard of a distant empire named “Russia”. If you are able to find territory belonging to Russia Ur promises to reward China.
    The Zulus have entered a new era of technological advancements and thought, calling it the classical era.
    Scouts visit Beijing from a land called Venice.
    Spoiler :
    " align="" border="0" />

Zulu warriors have been seen crossing by northern and southern borders of China.
    A worker unit in Beijing begins construction of a mine in the desert hills.
    Chinese scouts find the fabled city of Jakarta, and scouts from a land called Japan.
    Spoiler :

" align="" border="0" />
    " align="" border="0" />

T66 (1360 BC)
    Chinese scouts meet scouts from the land of Portugal.

T67 (1320 BC)
    The wise men of China in coordination with craftsmen find the secrets of working bronze. The wise men now look to work with rural dwellers on the techniques of animal trapping.
    Workers in Beijing finish building a quarry. They now travel north to the silver hills of Shanghai.
    Warriors exploring in the north, after a journey through the white, freezing and barren lands, find a northern sea.
    Spoiler :
    " align="" border="0" />

T68 (1280 BC)
    Warriors, after more exploration, find habitants of these freezing lands. They find barbaric people with white and red flags, clothed in white and brown furs with axes and clubs. Warriors turn south to avoid their camp and an expeditionary force roaming their lands.
    Spoiler :
    " align="" border="0" />

In Beijing, Lord Wong Ju Jian proclaims the basic principles of “legalism,” expressing the concept in a written document.
    Stories reach China of a new era of advancement in the lands of Greece.
    A monument to the settlement of Shanghai and end to the Crimson Wars is finished in Shanghai. Work begins on training a new division of archers to defend Chinese lands.

T69 (1240 BC)
    Polish scouts from the south meet us. Chinese Scouts in the east find the city of Athens, capital of the Greek.
    Spoiler :
    " align="" border="0" />

T70 (1200 BC)
    News reaches China of a revolt in the Zulu capital Ulundi. The stories of a bloody political coup that cost the life of the Zulu chief and his supporters as military captains ad influential members of Zulu society stormed their palace, captured and executed their chiefs to applauding crowds.
    News also reaches Beijing that Indonesia has also entered the termed Classical era.
    Meanwhile in Beijing, an archer division is ready for deployment. Workers outside Beijing finish building a mine on the desert hills.

Session 2

Drums rolled in the main square. The gates of the palace, its front, and the perimeter of the square were lined with Security Forces. From the gates came a guard of Wong militiamen, carrying the body of their lord who had perished to the sands of time, followed by servants, scribes and the Wong family. Everyone had an eye on Wong Zan Guo as he solemnly accompanied the procession. Other notable characters were Shu Wei and Han Bo, who walked along the procession of scribes and servants. The procession would continue under the cloudy skies towards the river, where the Wong usually buried their dead. Other merchant and counselor families attended in respect. Hou Yu Yi had also passed away recently, and the new head of the Hou looked on the burial with serenity. All the merchant families eyed each other, while other families waited for the new council seats to be filled.

News also reached Beijing of the death of Hong Li, first lord of Shanghai. The city was still small, and transition had never happened before. The question of succession had no clear answer. Names circulated of the possible successor, from the son of Hong Li, Hong Qing, to his closest advisor and right hand man Rhee Syngman. It seemed many chairs were vacant, and many wanting a seat at the table.

Deaths
    Wong Ju Jian
    Hou Yu Yi
    Cheung Ha
    Wong Da
    Hong Li

In-game Issues:
    What shall we research?
    What Social Policy shall we decide?
    What shall we produce in Beijing?
    What shall we produce in Shanghai?
    Shall our warriors keep exploring the lands around Ur and Ulundi?
    What shall our Archers do?
    What shall our workers do?

Issues:
    Who shall be the new lord of Beijing?
    Who shall be the new lord of Shanghai?
    Who shall fill the three vacant councilmember positions?

Note on precedence: Traditionally, the merchant families, with council of the councilmembers, meet and discuss whom the new lord of Beijing should be, considering experience, wealth, and popularity. If there is no change this will occur.

In Shanghai, there is no precedent, and there is truly no clear way to handle succession. Hong Li became lord by volunteering to lead the daring expedition north to finish off the Crimson Wars, under approval of Lord Wong.

Session 2 Turn 1 has now begun

(more screenshots next page because I had too many)