1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Governments and Politics

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by Civleader, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Normal

Your ignorance in the ways of science is perhaps excusable, but allow me to correct you. The study of optics permits Persia to embark units in unwieldy barges safely in coastal waters, thanks to the ability to pre-empt dangerous rocks and so forth. But Persia does not yet have the ability to navigate the deep oceans where there is no geographical reference point for a travelling ship. If you wish to engage in such a foolhardy endeavour as attempting to cross the great ocean with our current knowledge you will end up floating in circles and dying a painful death of starvation and scurvy without so much as a single sight of new land.

Furthermore I might add that you are a minister of Persia, and you have as such duties to Persia to fulfil. Forsaking such duties in the name of adventure is a gross discharge of office and does disservice to the King who has put so much trust in you, by giving you a position of power. I suggest you focus on your job instead of on fanciful dreams.

2. Tambien

Tambien Theseus, Duke of Athens

It was just a suggestion.

3. Civleader

Civleader King

Just had an idea. Would you guys be fine with me making your stats on google documents? I would give you the link, and you would be able to check your stats at any time you would like. it would also save from making a lot of PM's with just your new current balance. What do you think?

4. Civleader

Civleader King

Here is the Power's List the most accurate and detailed list ever released! now, you'll be able to check it and see real time results... sort of :D

5. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: I approve of that list completely :goodjob:, in more ways than one I might add. :lol: and I approve of the idea of putting stats on a google document, less work for you as well

anyways a rant on the power list in the spoiler.

Spoiler :
    It shows the benefits of reputation and popularity I suppose. Afterall Im not even King or High Priest and I am still more powerful, presumably because Artaparsa is relatively devoid of problems thanks to hard effort on my part (and thus I have very few negative points to my name). Oh and I make sure I keep tabs with the people and have religious backing so thats more kudos and people power to me :lol:. On another thing, perhaps the books and the intellectual influence also have a role (swaying public opinion, and public visibility?), I mean Tambiens character has very little land and positional power and he's near the top. Either way we can;t discount the fact I own lots of land either.

One thing though, God how the Church must be powerful considering the High Priest (governor of Noctusan) is third on the list above the King (who is satrap of the capital in addition).

Dear, considering all that its fairly clear that power isn't singular in this game and is multifaceted with different strands of influence working to determine 'power'. Thats a good thing kudo's Civleader :goodjob:

6. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Public Speech: "On the Problem of Banditry"

-

Lords of Persia, Citizens of the Empire, Gracious King. It has come to my attention that the authority of the governance of Persia barely extends beyond the walls of our cities! Every satrapy, every rural district faces the same problem of uninhibited banditry. The security forces guard the cities well but they simply don't have the numbers to police the rural areas effectively. This is a disgrace, Persia is becoming a laughingstock because it can;t even control its rural lands.

Thus I make a proposition.

It is time for Persia to establish universally in every satrapy throughout the empire a parallell rural security force, distinct from the good men who serve in the cities but run under the same protocols (under satrapial and governor authority, money for upkeep can only come from appropriate authority, money is limited by how much gold a city earns), to keep order in the rural districts and supress banditry.

I humbly implore our greak King to accept this proposition and provide his seal of approval for this endeavour for the good of all the empire. I ask as a brother satrap, that my associates implement such measures to bring about the peace of Ahura Mazda in the lands under their governance. This measure is most vital, it is our duty as rulers most especially ti the farmers and villagers who provide the strengh and muscle of our great empire to keep order and surpress crime. We can no longer take half measures, or engage in temporary crack downs which don't address the core of the issue in addressing this problem, we must do all we can to excise this cancer in our society before it does irreparable harm

- Jehangir Artaparsi, Satrap of Artaparsa

7. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

ooc: I've ordered the establishment of a rural constabulary and training of rural citizens in Sayehabad in PM for the last three sessions and it's been overlooked every time.

IC:
    As tax revenues are not as high as I'd hoped they would be and as at current rates the treasury will be empty within 20 turns I must restructure the government finances somewhat.
    Government Finances Act
    Responsibility for the salary of satrapial officials (satrap, governors and advisors) now lies with the relevant satrapy with the exception of Persepolis satrapy. In addition advisors and ambassadors salaries will be paid out of the budgets of the relevant ministries, not by the national government.

8. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: Thus the public support of the idea ;) by the King and the establishment of a decree giving indisputable royal assent for the satrapies to establish such constabularies.

As to the your decree, I agree with it completely. As to taxes, the problem may be resolved by MORE PEOPLE GETTING INTO BUSINESS, and land development ofc :p. The creation of financial infrastructure like markets and mints (in the capital and sayehabad) would also somewhat repair government finances since we are currently in the red.

addendum: we do need happiness though, the circus in Artaparsa will bring us to neutral and the inevitable retrade of our second gold will provide more happiness. However we should still consider constructing a building for happiness somewhere (Colloseum in Persepolis after the market and Angkor Wat?) to give us some leeway. I mean we will get a second city up north soon which will just mean we will go right back to the happiness problem soon enough if we don't cushion ourselves a bit.

9. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

With the loss of the PlyPlay I have been forced to reconsider the attack on Helsinki. Arsalan II prematurely giving the attack order has caused great loss of Persian life. The original plan called for the attack to wait until the iron in Noctusan was mined and all our warriors were upgraded to swordsmen and a catapult was constructed in Persepolis. As war was declared before we were ready I attempted to make the best of a bad situation. However as it appears the current situation is untenable I am ordering all units to pull out of range of Finnish defences. Warriors are to pull back to Persian territory to be upgraded to swordsmen, archers are to engage any units leaving Helsinki and the immortals are to defend the archers. Units are to fortify until they are healed.

10. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: You need to finish the Finnish :p

Anyways, I agree with a tactical withdrawal (phony war) to regroup and upgrade our units.

-

IC: I would request that His Majesty permits the Artaparsa guard to be upgraded to swordsman (ooc: since it has a promotion) for the good of the empire. (ooc: and I would send it down if you asked for assistance)

11. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

I agree with the suggestion and the assistance of the Artaparsan swordsmen would be invaluable.

12. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

I thank His Majesty for acceding to my request for the modernisation of the Artaparsa Guard. In lieu of this gracious acceptance of my request i will bow to yours, and out of solemn duty to the crown, and in spite of my personal opinion of the war, order the guard sent to the field of battle once the upgrade in armaments is complete.

13. Tambien

OOC: That would be great!

OOC: I love it! Might I assume my 6th place is due to my influence as an author and my MInisterial position?

EDIT: BTW, can you post the links on the OP?

14. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: yes you can assume.

-

addendum: you owe me a book I have paid for btw.

15. Tambien

OOC: thought so, and I know. I was just about to send it.

16. Tambien

NEW! Book by Darius Chgrogers Tambien

-

Possibilities: Dissolution

Possibilities: Dissolution by Darius Chgrogers Tambien has been released! It esplores the question of What if the Coup people had won? It is the first in a series of these books. To get this great work of modern literature, all you have to do is buy a copy for 3 gold! To buy a book fill out the order form below and send it to Tambien and Civleader.

Name: (character's name)
    Book Title: (Possibilities: Dissolution)
    Quantity: (The number of copies you are ordering)

If you do order a book, I reccomend that you paste the book into Word or any document making software and create a GaP Library Folder, in which you place the book.

Thanks!

PS- Please see my thread in the SG for some notes on my books.

17. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

Can I join?

18. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Indeed you can :goodjob:

-

Just pick a name for your house and if you want a personal name change and proceed as if you were always here. I will also invite you to the social group.

19. Tambien

OOC: Always! Now, you need to pick a house name. It can be as uncreative as House Celticempire or as creative as you want it to be.
    Then, you pick a personal name for your character (basically their first name).

After that, you have a house and you are a noble of PErsia.

20. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Well he wouldn't be a noble per se until he gets a government position. Then he is entitled to the hereditary noble title of Lord, ergo the lower nobility as compared to say the Satraps and their families.