1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Governments and Politics

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by Civleader, Jun 30, 2011.

1. swimandciv

swimandciv Warlord

The Order of the Merciful Lord has been extremely successful in Persepolis. I am now calling for hierarchs to appoint local church leaders to run their chapter of the Order.

2. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

ooc: Is there a Cadastre of some sorts? if not is it possible for someone to create it?
    I'm currently trying to buy a plot of land but for every plot I'm interested I would have to post have to post and stuff to find out who owns it...
    that said: Can anyone tell me who owns plot 12A of Persepolis?

3. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

5char

4. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

ooc: There is a list but only the King and Satraps have general access to it. What you need to remember is that land is incredibly valuable in this game and most players attitude towards parting with their holdings involves crowbars and their cold, dead hands. If you're still wanting to build you guildhouse you'll probably have better luck asking for someone to extend you a type 2 lease.

5. swimandciv

swimandciv Warlord

It is my belief that education is the best long term investment we can make towards Persia's future. We should expand libraries to all of our cities. Oh wise Satrap of Artaparsa, I am sure you will not ignore the call of our Minister of Education.

6. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Of course I will not ignore the call for a public library in Artaparsa and it is on the list of things I want built in Artaparsa. But that does not mean I will order one built immediately post haste.

There are multiple considerations and priorities to take into account in regards to public works in the satrapy. Happiness, the economic crisis, the lack of production in Artaparsa and the religious desires of the people under my charge, must all be considered in my equations. Rushing full forward into a public library without a second thought to these other factors would be the height of foolishness. Most particularly I will not construct a library while Persia remains unhappy and in the red. I would much rather my people (and the people of the empire in general) be prosperous and content than poor and unhappy, even if that means the conveniences of a public library as distinct from an education at one of Artaparsa's schools must wait.

7. Civleader

Civleader King

I had forgotten to post the Tech Tree with the Quarter Session event, so here it is:

Spoiler Tech Tree :

One last thing, Mayor, you inquired that how was it possible to have schools and universities when we hadn't researched education...

Schools have always existed in humanity, though they had always taken different forms. From groups of people who listened and thought with a teacher, to small academic sessions in a library, schools have always existed. In Persia, rulers have innovated with the building of schools where Persia's youth may study with better equipment, in a conditioned building, with a teacher. However, these schools still lack correct methods of teaching, and other knowledge. For this reason, until those techs are researched, the current schools have a decreased effect on population, and do not have an overall impact in the empire.
    Just wanted to explain how this was possible :D

Conclusion update will be up once a tech is chosen (how could I forget to show you the techs!)

Civleader

8. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

On Technology

-

I would advise civil service > metal casting > engineering > Education.

-

Civil service opens the door for education and banking, both important technologies that would greatly improve our empire, and more immediately allows access to pikemen vastly improving our military potential, and it improves efficiency on riverside farms perhaps helping when it comes to the calls for an increase in agriculture by the citizenry.

Metal casting would allow for forges and workshops which would greatly improve production and aid most especially in military output thus increasing our relative hard power potential and staying power in war. On a more personal note it would allow a workshop in Artaparsa which would enable much greater efficiency in the city, which is somewhat lacking in regards to production which greatly hampers the construction of public works.

Engineering following these techs would be useful mainly because it allows lumbermills, this would improve production particularly in Persepolis where there are many forests this being of great utility in enabling our capital (and other forested cities) greater capacity for the public construcctions, perhaps of wonders and important public services such as libraries.

Education would enable universities greatly improving scientific output, in addition to this also it would permit the construction of several important wonders to take advantage of increased production capacity (thanks to engineering and metal casting), the porcelain tower which would do quite nicely in the capital and give us a great scientist, and Notre Dame which would quite help greatly in regards to our happiness woes.

-

ooc: addendum: I would also add that researching these earlier techs increases overall efficiency of research over beelining. It also would ensure we get a higher tech should we engage in a research agreement (something I highly recommend considering I have heard rumours of roman knights) and give us greater adaptability in tech prioritisation.

9. swimandciv

swimandciv Warlord

ooc: is it possible for a list of all of the current characters' names to be posted? I don't want to be a hassle but I have very little idea of people's names.

ic: Jehoshua(ooc: sorry I don't know your IC name), of course you must prioritize your production, but that does not diminish the ability of the central government to request certain buildings for the national good. It has come to the attention of the Domestic Ministry that if certain steps are taken, then there will be massive improvement. Artaparsa is where steps can be taken and improvements made. Seeing as production is a problem I completely support your research plan especially Metal Casting. I recognize the difficulties you are under, and do not which to aggrevate them in any way. I just want you to recognize that the building of a library would be beneficial to Persia. If there is any way the Ministry of Domestic Affairs can help feel free to ask.

10. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: there is a list of characters in the empire thing on page 115 (the link to a google document). My current characters name is Jehangir Artaparsi.

-

The domestic ministry can help by actually looking at the national good and dealing with the imminent problems that afflict our people and doing its job rather than ruminating on the findings of the education ministry. Perhaps the minister can get to work on the current economic difficulties, the problem of unhappiness, and the problem of public disorder in the Sayehabad Satrapy considering these are relevant and imminent problems to the domestic ministry. I suggest to the ministry that it gets its priorities in order and works on those priorities, rather than seeking to lecture me on matters to which it lacks contextual understanding and which are marginal if not beyond its jurisdiction.

That said I thank the minister for his support for my research proposals, let us hope that the Minister responsible for such technological matters accedes to my suggestions and to the utility of the efficient research protocols that guide my suggestions. Also on other matters I would like to inform you that I will appoint a head for the Artaparsa chapter of the order of the merciful lord at the soonest possible opportunity. It truly is a great endeavour and indeed you have done great work in masterminding its establishment, I could not do anything less but support the order to the utmost to ensure the pastoral needs of the faithful are met to the greatest possible degree that is within the power of the Church to provide.

~Jehangir Artaparsi

11. swimandciv

swimandciv Warlord

OOC: passive agressive much?

Esteemed satrap,

I do not wish to quarrel with you. I simply believe there is room for growth in our empire and that you reacted to the education ministry's report too dismissively. The domestic ministry is taking steps to help the economic woes we currently face. I believe that in addition to shortterm measures we should attempt to improve future prospects through education. The manner in which these improvements are made is obviously up to local satraps. I do not wish to give the impression that I am attempting to usurp your power.

I thank you for your continued support of the order. You have been a great friend in it's formation.

12. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

OOC: Would you rather I be outwardly aggressive? :p [I would rather not since your not a liberal and I would rather work with and co-operate with you, but if you insist :lol:]

-

I think I will follow the path my father and his father before him followed in regards to the development of Artaparsa. That is to hold to the virtues of patience and prioritisation rather than focussing on pet projects and on concerns secondary to the imminent challenges of the day. It appears to me that they were rather successful by holding to this strategy. As to you usurping my power, this discussion has nothing to do with power, but rather with the virtues of proper prioritisation of affairs and due prudence in governing for the welfare of the people. Fortunately these are areas where I and my family have experience and where the House of Rudaki, for the time being at least, must defer to the experience and publicly acknowledged competency of my House.

~ Jehangir Artaparsi

13. swimandciv

swimandciv Warlord

Jehangir, I have never had any intention of insulting you or your house. I certainly recognize your experience and tendency towards sound judgement. I do not question your house's skill at ruling especially in Artaparsa. My one point is that as minister of Domestic Affairs it is my duty to promote policy I believe will be beneficial for Persia. In this situation I decided to promote common knowledge. Certainly you would admit that this is a noble goal? I mean no insult but only to do my duty as I see it. I was merely trying to call your attention to a possible way to do good for Persia. I was not by any means trying to tell you how to do your job.

14. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

It is good that you did not intend to insult me. Now you can go and do your job which is not as you put it to promote policy that you think will be beneficial to Persia, but rather to keep and maintain order and peace within the Empire. To that end ensuring the contentedness of the population and resolving the financial crisisare within your purview as they affect public order, advocating a library in Artaparsa however is not, and indeed falls squarely within the rightful domain of the Education minister who is responsible for advocating and monitoring such things.

One last thing, rather than 'requesting' I change my position on constructing a library now (rather than after other priorities are dealt with) perhaps you could learn how to suggest things in a manner that is appropriate. I am all for listening to what people have to say, so long as they respect my authority in how they suggest it. The House of Artaparsi does not take kindly to ministers lecturing it in areas of its competency.

15. Civleader

Civleader King

Conclusion Update

The heralds of Persia tell the news to the crowds.

“The Atharvan's words during his public speech, and at the Public Yasna have calmed down the faithful, and have called for a reaffirmation into our faith. Swimciv Rudaki's interpretation of the purple banners as Rome have made people, the majority Babylonians, to think about war with Rome. They do not think it is safe to deal with those people, and it is better to convert them, or eliminate them.

In the Ottoman Empire, similar reactions occurred. Many have lost trust, the little they already had, towards Rome. Some even call for war openly in the streets. The Sultan has rejected the idea for the moment.

Christos has been captured after a big brawl with Security Forces and the king's bodyguards. Many civilians witnessed the battle, including the king of kings himself. Four Security Forces and one fugitive lost their lives in the fight. Christos, a woman, and a skilled fighter traveling with Christos, were captured by authorities.

These are the orders from the government:

Jehoshua:
    Filli Noctus:
    Eminent Atharvan Jehangir of the bold house of Artaparsi has died of natural causes at age of 36. His son Ardeshir II will soon take the throne of the satrap at age 18. The people mourn the liked satrap. Some people fear this was Mazda's act, since he was among the first to speak of the prophecy. Was he wrong? Is his death a meaning to something?

The people are displeased at their High Priest's silence after the prophecy was given.

Deaths:
    Jehangir Artaparsi
    Jermain DefoesrightBoot
    Kaveh Mahburzin
    Steel Knight II

Session 14 is now over

(I will commence updating to next session once a tech has been decided.)

16. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: looks like someones assasin succeeded. I am quite skeptical that a truly natural "natural death" occured on the concluding update at the age it did. Although I suppose an actual natural death is possible it would be terrible luck at extremely suspicious timing (considering potential reactions to the prophecy in particular)

17. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

On Regency

-

The House of Artaparsi would like to express its sadness at the death of its patriarch, Jehangir. It would also like to announce that it has established a regency council for the satrapy of Artaparsa to be held in place until the majority of Ardeshir II.

The Heads of the security forces, the civil courts, and the local head of the House Mahvash shall administer everyday governance over the city ensuring that the late satraps orders are fulfilled, and that life proceeds as normal. The satraps orders pass long into the future, and as such minimal disruption to satrapy life should occur during this time of regency. This regency council is furthermore to be under the direct oversight of the King of Kings until said majority of Ardeshir II when normal satrapial rule shall resume.

18. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

It is a great sadness for Persia that the Noble Jehangir Artaparsi, Satrap of Artaparsa, has passed away.
    Right before he died he saw fit to do a proposition for the researchpath we, as a nation, are to take.
    This proposal is well thought out and will benefit Persia greatly is my believe. In honour of Jehangir Artaparsi I hereby ratify this proposal as the official researchpolicy of Persia in the coming period.

19. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

Public Speech
    People of Persia, today is a day of great joy for the rebel and traitor christos has been captured in Persepolis! It is also a day of great sorrow as four good men of the Persepolis security forces gave their lives to apprehend him and the entire empire joins the satrapy of Artaparsa in mourning the passing of the satrap and atharvan Jehangir Artaparsi.
    Today we shall celebrate the apprehension of the fugitive, I am personally financing celebrations in all cities, and tomorrow we shall mourn those who have passed. The names of the fallen security agents shall be inscribed on the monument of Persepolis and a day of mourning shall be observed in Artaparsa in memory of Jehangir.
    But let us not forget other great Persians who have passed recently. Jermain DefoesrightBoot, Kaveh Mahburzin and former minister Steel Knight II. All will be missed.

Normal
    Our research progression shall be as suggested by the late Jehangir, with one small modification:
    civil service > metal casting > engineering > education > compass

Public Speech
    I urge those who seek war with Rome to have patience and await High Priest Artaparsi-Sayeh to issue the church's interpretation of the revelation of Babyloparsa. Only the most learned men in the church can begin to comprehend the meaning of the Wise Lords' words. Current reports indicate that Lord Augustus is more tolerant than his predecessor and he may be willing to allow our missionaries into Rome.

20. swimandciv

swimandciv Warlord

Your majesty, may I suggest that inquiries be made into the recent deaths, specifically Jehangir Artaparsi so we can insure there was no foul play.

Public Speech
    The great enemy of Persia has been defeated, but we cannot become complacent in our actions. We must remain vigilant in eliminating the evil in ourselves and our society that will lead to the end as described in the prophecy. I would like to add that I personally mourn the death of the great Jehangir Artaparsi whom I considered a great friend despite recent debates we may have had.