Governments and Politics

News Report
T117-T125

T117 (50 AD)
The Noctusan Desert Corps garrison in Noctusan to help fight crime in the city.
Noctusan begins earning gold after a citizen relocation program.

T118 (75 AD)
Our Household Cavalry Division has cleared the Nord's camp. We gain the friendship of Almaty and Sidon.
Spoiler :

A work boat has been built in Noctusan. They begin work on a worker.
Spoiler :

The iron mine in Noctusan has been completed! We now have 6 iron!
The Finnish workers move to 5D to build a pasture for the horses.
The famous Artaparsan Guard has been upgraded with new weapons, armor, and supplies!
The Noctusan Desert Corps and the First Sayehabadian Division have also been upgraded to swordsmen.
Spoiler :

Deal accepted by the Ottoman of 300g for Persian Gold.

T119 (100 AD)
The Household Cavalry Division has been promoted! It received special training in rough terrain combat (Drill I)
They obliterate the remaining Nordic Brutes.
The Artaparsan Guard begins to travel to Helsinki.
A worker's division has been created in Persepolis. They are called the Third Worker Unit and they travel to 10E to build a plantation.
The Finnish workers begin building a pasture.
All Swordsmen and Immortals advance to Helsinki's borders.
Persepolis begins construction of a Mint.

T120 (125 AD)
The Household Division fortifies to heal.
The Second Worker begins building the Joined Crown Roads between Persepolis and Babyloparsa.
The Royal Immortal Guard pillaged the pastures of Finnish horses as ordered by the king.
Spoiler :

The rest of the army is ready to siege Helsinki and begin engaging next turn.
Spoiler :

Artaparsa has finished building a circus. They begin building a market.

T121 (150 AD)
Helsinki has been bombarded by our archer divisions. They cause minimal damage.
Spoiler :

A Great Person, born in Persepolis, has become notorious after the campaign in Helsinki. It is a Great General that soldiers call El Cid.

T122 (175 AD)
A trade route has been established between Artaparsa and Persepolis after the completion of the Artaparsa Victory road. This has helped ease economic troubles.
The Third Worker Unit begin building a plantation on 10E
All archer divisions, the Noctusan Desert Corps, and the First Sayehabadian Division attacked Helsinki, greatly weakening the city's defenses. The unnamed Immortals were bombarded by Finnish archers. They have retreated from Helsinki's range and fortified. They spot barbarian spearmen to the south.
Spoiler :

T123 (200 AD)
Almaty has gifted us a unit of spearmen, thanking us for clearing the Nordic camp.
Spoiler :

Our First Scout Division has found a barbarian camp!It is the Sahaaids.
Helsinki almost fell to our army's might. Unfortunately, the First Sayehabadian Division could not attack due to heavy damage from bombardment and had to retreat to safety.
Spoiler :

T124 (225 AD)
The Household Division is ready to return to Persia.
The First Sayehabadian Division fortifies to heal.
The Royal Immortal Guard was destroyed after being bombarded by Finnish Archers.
The Noctusan Desert Corps has been promoted! They learn to fight in open terrain. (Shock I)
The Sayehabadian Guard has been promoted and trained in the art of sieges,
The Noctusan Desert Corps pillaged and captured Helsinki! Helsinki is now our puppet.
Spoiler :

The Artaparsan Guard does what it does best and destroys a barbarian spearmen.
Spoiler :

T125 (250 AD)
Babyloparsa has finished a trireme. It attacks a barbarian's trireme.
The Great Barrier Reef was discovered by the new trireme.
The First Persian Militia has been promoted! It learned Barrage I
Quebec thanks us for eliminating Helsinki. We are now Quebec's ally.
The city of Babyloparsa has grown! It now houses 6000 people.
Spoiler :

Deaths:
  • Emmanuel DefoesRightBoot
  • Maria DefoesRightBoot
  • Christos
  • Hesam Noctus
  • Abadi Behbud
  • Ishvad Jahan
  • Black Knight
  • Kerbad Farid

Session 15
T125 (250 AD)

Persepolis:

In-game Issues:
What shall we do with the newly acquired Helsinki workers?
What shall our military units do?

Decisions:
Who shall be the new Prime Minister?
Who shall be the new Almaty spearmen be called? To who will they belong, city militia or Persian Army?
What shall the unnamed Immortals be called?
Who shall be the new Minister of the People?
Who shall be the Prime Minister?
Who shall be the new Ambassador to the Ottoman empire?
Who will be governor of Babyloparsa?
Shall the old king of Helsinki be puppets, or shall a new governor control Helsinki? Who shall be its puppet?
What will happen to the aristocracy of Helsinki?

Issues:
Domestic: Revival of religion in city.
Foreign: Nationalism and celebrations of victory in Helsinki.
Economic: Empire loosing money, economic recession.

Artaparsa:

Issues:
Domestic: Bandits roam the rural areas of Artaparsa.

Sayehabad:

Issues:
Domestic: Unhappy population.
Increase in organized crime
Bandits roam the rural areas of the city.

Noctusan:

Issues:
Injustice and outlaw in city.

Babyloparsa:

In-game Issues:
What shall be built in Babyloparsa?

Decisions:
What shall the new Trireme be called?

Issues:
Religious fervor among Babylonians

Spoiler Tech Tree :

Spoiler Persepolis :

Spoiler Sayehabad :

Spoiler Artaparsa :

Spoiler Noctusan :

Spoiler Babyloparsa :

Spoiler Helsinki :

Spoiler Strategic Views :

Power's List
Governments and Politic's Quick reference Charts
Empire/City Info

Persian Periodical

News:

Tragic news from Persepolis. The entire DefoesRightBoot family was found dead in the same room. A note was also found, saying "A warning to all who dare to challenge our might." With these deaths, the oldest house in Persia is now, unfortunately, extinct.
The will of Emmanuel and Maria DefoesRightBoot were read. All their belongings are to be passed to the Artaparsi family.

Celebrations were seen throughout the empire after Christos was captured. City squares were decorated and entertainers were hired, food was brought and drinks were served. The population was soon celebrating for a reason they had already forgotten.
Christos was killed after a rumored escape attempt. He and his companions body were dragged through the streets of Persepolis by a cart while the celebrations were being held.

Persepolis is still holding the “We love the King” celebrations. The main square is a carnival filled with food, culture, art, and joy. Scattered celebrations are held through the various districts of the city, with the lower district being the gloomiest of all.

The economy has hit some businesses and families, making them go bankrupt. Sayehabad is the new victim with the most cases this time, while Noctusan and Babyloparsa remain the same, if not slightly better.

Babylonians in Babyloparsa demand a temple to be built in the city. They want their old temple to be renovated and expanded in size.
Persians in the city want a granary or a market.

Helsinki's Fall

As most of the empire knows, our army has defeated the city-state of Helsinki. Not everyone knows however, the details, the experiences, and the destruction that occurred during these campaigns.

I am a reporter with the First Sayehabadian Division, and I have been with them since the second campaign. I have seen these men cheer, fight, cry and die.

Sayehabad; 13C, T118 (75AD). The First Sayehabadian Division is, like all warrior divisions in the empire, upgraded to swordsmen. They now carry strong shields and armor made out of the newly mined Noctusan Iron. They now have sharp, powerful swords only captains would carry before. The new red and gold banners fly over the division. These men look ready to fight and defeat the Finnish defenses in Helsinki. Their morale, however, may not look the same.

The empire's overall unhappiness is affecting our troops mind. Problems at home, families suffering economic hardships, and unrest causes the men to feel pressured, nervous, and causes their fighting ability to decrease. Before they leave once more to Helsinki, the captain of the division gives a motivational speech, which energizes the men for a couple of days.

Helsinki's border, T119 (100AD). The voyage wasn't long, but it felt like an eternity marching through the open grassland, hearing nothing but the stomp of the men' boots and the occasional bird or insect humming by. We camp outside the enemy's border, where we can see pastures, horses roaming through the open grassland, houses spread through the landscape, and people living their ordinary lives. They would soon be running, for the Royal Immortal Guard was ready to carry out the king's orders.

Helsinki's border, T120 (125AD). The Royal Immortal Guard pillaged the pastures of Helsinki. A large mass of men, spears shining in the sky, ran through the land, burning down houses, pastures, and grass. We soon saw black smoke coming up, and we knew the Immortals had completed their mission. Soon it would be time for the First Sayehabadian Division, and all the others behind us, to siege Helsinki.

Helsinki, T122 (175 AD). The siege has begun. The Archer divisions in the north bombard the city. To our disappointment, their attacks only cause minimal damage. The division waits for the signal of El Cid to attack. The men grow restless with fear and stress as they wait for the signal. Suddenly, a horn is blown, and our captain barks for us to advance. The men instantly switch to automatic mode, and they charge to the city. Several men are pinned down by the enemy catapults. One stops thinking as you charge, hoping a boulder doesn't land on you. We reach the city and eliminate several catapult and defense positions. Civilians run farther into the city as we destroy what is in our path. Some civilians even try defending their homes, but they are utterly destroyed. The Finnish Archers only retreat and hide in their city, as the outside districts burn. By the time we are stopped by stronger enemy fortifications, we have taken half of the Finnish city (counting what the Noctusan Desert Corps took over). The men sleep with celebration, with the cheers of the Persian armies and the enemy city burning in the background.

Helsinki, T123 (200 AD). We were waked up in the middle of the night by an enemy surprise. The finnish Archers began bombarding us. Many died as they walked out of their tents. May were hit as they slept. Those awake blocked the archers with the new iron shields. By the end of the enemy bombardment (which also included boulders from inner catapults) we had lost half the division. Our captain had no choice but to retreat. After all, the king did not want any division to be destroyed.
As we retreat we hear on the background the battle the Noctusan Desert Corps and the Royal Immortal Guard are having. By the look of the fire, I can feel we are winning.

Helsinki, T124 (225 AD). The news of the death of the Royal Immortal Guard were shadowed by the victory of the Noctusan Desert Corps. The city had finally fallen to our might. I traveled to the city as soon as I could to report the great accomplishment. As I entered the city, my joy faded. Fire burned everywhere, bodies lay in the streets, survivors scavenged for anything useful they could find, the destruction and death was indescribable. Some say over 80,000 people died during the siege. As I reached downtown Helsinki, I saw the Noctusan Desert Corps, transporting Finnish prisoners away from the city, and looting the place. Some soldiers were knocking down the doors to the palace, where the aristocracy of the family was taking refuge. It wasn't long before the doors were opened. The remaining bodyguards were killed, and the captain of the Noctusan Desert Corps entered the palace to take the Finnish king prisoner. Soldiers pulled me back, stopping me from witnessing the event.

The city today is still a dangerous place. Many natives are still fighting our troops. Anarchy still prevails, and the Noctusan Desert Corps are working hard to put down the insurgents. How will life go on in this city? I shall stay and see...

Kuala Lumpur, The Religious Battleground

The eastern part of the continent has gone through a period of religious revival and enforcement, with Rome being the most extreme. Persia has gone through a similar period, where we have seen an increasingly zealous population. The three dominant religions, Mazdaeism, Buddhism, and the Roman Pantheon, have been occupied spreading the truth to the world. In many city-states, the religions compete to achieve dominant conversion and gain more followers. Mazdaeism, it appears to me, is being the most successful.

Buddhism has fallen behind and has proven to be ineffective since the Siamese empire went through a civil war. The Roman Pantheon, however, is not far behind Mazdaeism. This Roman religion is practiced in Almaty, Genoa, Warsaw, and Kuala Lumpur in great numbers. Mazdaism controls Hanoi, Quebec, and has influence in Warsaw, Almaty, Kuala Lumpur, and slightly in Genoa.

Kuala Lumpur is the focus of this article for one reason: It is equally divided between the Roman Pantheon, Buddhism, and Mazdaeism. It is a constant struggle to gain superiority over the other religions, and Rome's leaders pressure the government to convert to the Roman faith and make it an official religion of the state.

A day in Kuala Lumpur, and in a simple walk around the city you see separate communities of one religion. The streets are filled with Roman propaganda, Buddhist statues are common throughout the city, and Mazdaean missionaries stand at many corners, preaching to crowds.

Currently, Buddhism has lost many people to both Mazdaeism and Roman Pantheon. The battle, however, is not yet over, and it may never be while three dominant religions exist in such close quarters.

---------------

Pictures I forgot to put:

Spoiler :

ooc: as should be obvious economic concerns should be our main focus. To that affect we are doing ok, namely we have economic constructions going up in three of our cities. But I would suggest that Persepolis queues a market after the mint (and before Angkor Wat) just for good measure. Babyloparsa, well a temple costs 2g maintanence so im afraid such a construction would be unfeasible considering the circumstances, unfortunately as well Babyloparsa has production problems so anything there will take time to build... we will have to think about what to do there.

In addition I would also advise that our new trireme continues to explore down the western coast, the great barrier reef covers more than one tile and from the images we only have seen a portion of it (and thus we could get more happiness from it, once again making our happiness neutral), not to mention finally seeing what we have in the south western wilds would be good considering that for some odd reason no persian has ever set foot down there.

ORDERS FOR ARTAPARSA

-

The population growth of Artaparsa has stagnated, and this is quite unfortunate in that it hinders our potential production capacity and precludes the efficient production of projects that all the people and myself as well would greatly desire. Without production a great and worthy temple to Mazda cannot be built in time enough to ensure the greater good is achieved!

To this end I must order a temporary economic sacrifice for the greater long term good. We must focus our efforts on attaining food to ensure population growth. (ooc: transfer citizen from 9B to 13B), To this end I order our fishing efforts doubled to ensure enough food is available to encourage and support population growth. After this growth we can then return to focussing on cash crops (the new citizen when born is to go to the dyes, the transferred citizen is to remain on the fish) in order to ensure that the economic cost is minimised. Please be assured that our nations gold reserves, and the soon to be completed mint will ensure that the effect of this order will be minimal on the national economic situation as it stands.

On other matters I order the return of the Artaparsa Guard to Artaparsa, they served well in the war in Helsinki ensuring that a barbarian force seeking to take advantage of the chaos of the recent conquest was obliterated before it even entered Persian land. Upon their return they shall be honoured for their service. However that is not to say they shall not be put to work in doing good deeds, for upon their return to the Satrapy they shall once again take to the field in the perennial task of uprooting bandits. (upon their return they are to scour rural Artaparsa of bandits)

-

Summary

Ordered transfer of citizen from 9B to 13B (dye to fish) (to take effect upon the whales being worked)
Ordered new citizen (upon birth) to work 9B
Ordered return of Artaparsa Guard
Ordered Artaparsa Guard upon their return to purge bandits from Artaparsa's rural land

-

other orders

Ordered missionary to Almaty, in perpetuity, 125g

Public Speech
People of Persia it is a great day. The Finnish War is over and Helsinki is ours. I have summoned the Finnish King to the palace to discuss the integration of Helsinki and her people into the Empire and if he will assist or hinder us. Once the situation in Helsinki has settled down decisions will be taken as to how the city will be governed. Its' environs will be administered by the satrapy of Sayehabad, already a workboat travels from Noctusan to Helsinki to capture the whales off the coast.
Although I have managed to rebalance the governments budget our economy is still poor, although Helsinki is not yet contributing to the Empire. I have discussed the issue with the satrap of Sayehabad and we have agreed that all cities in Persepolis and Sayehabad satrapies are to begin work on markets as soon as they have completed their current constructions.
The Noctusan Desert Corp will remain in Helsinki, our other forces will rest until they are healed then head south to clear the barbarians from the area before returning to garrison the cities of Persia. The new trireme shall be christened the HIMV Jehashuthra and will continue to explore south.

ooc: Jehoshua, you should add a rider to the citizen moving order to the effect that it will take effect once the whales are worked.

ooc: if you insist on staying in Persepolis to talk with the Finnish King and deal with internal issues, could you at least send a member of your family to Artaparsa for the Congress going on there. (With apologies for your absence). It would be most unfortunate to leave the Sovereigns of all the major empires known to Persia hanging.

On that matter it would be expedient to reappoint me to the position of foreign minister if you haven't already. Im dealing with them solely as an envoy, but with no official capacity over treaties or foreign relations atm.

EDIT: and it would ensure you are able to see the social group and the talks going on there ;)

ooc: I've made the movement, it'll take a while for the Finnish king to make the trek whereas I have this snazzy new road so I can get there and back in no time at all.

IC: I appoint Ardeshir II Artaparsi to the role of foreign minister and relinquish the satrapy of Artaparsa to his jurisdiction. I also announce that Filli Noctus V has come of age and become satrap of Sayehabad.

excellent.

Now there are some issues that we would do well to discuss publicly amongst the nobility (players) namely what measures should be taken by the state to restore order in Helsinki, and perhaps of more relevance to the wider noble community of Persia, what shall be done about the Finnish Aristocracy and whether they shall be disposessed or gradually incorporated into the broader nobility. I am sure the various notables of the empire have their opinions about how we should deal with thsi new challenge.

I intend to donate 500g towards the rebuilding of Helsinki and providing support to its' citizens.
As to the aristocracy, that depends how talks with their King go. I am inclined to allow those whose families were not involved in the machinations against Quebec to retain their privileges.

ooc: Civleader can you add courthouse to the list of available buildings (and if anything else has become available and isn't on the list can they be added)

Ah but there remains the thorny issue of integrating a conquered peoples aristocracy into that of the victors. There of course must be consideration of the interests of our own nobility and prospective nobility in the equations, not to mention that the common folk could potentially find issue with a lenient arrangement. Of course though it depends entirely on the talks with the King of the Finns, which beggars another question, the eventual fate of that institution.

-

LEGAL CHALLENGE

Anyways on other matters after searching through my families archives I have discovered that the Satrap of Sayehabad during the time of my grandfather the High Priest Ardeshir Artaparsi promised the incense fields in Noctusan to him in lieu of using the funds from the fields to provide a service to the people (as part of the general terms of hte land dealign there where one had to say what they would do with the land). However unfortunately this seems to have been forgotten when under the reign of Arsalan II the land was granted to the former Kings family.

Therefore under the following provision for land allocation

3. If the grant was made in error and a prior grant of the tile had been made the initial owner, or their heir, has precedence - the satrapy will be required to refund any payment made by the person to receive the subsequent grant

I request the reappropriation of land that rightfully belongs to me as the heir of High Priest Ardeshir to my rightful ownership.

Now I am not a greedy man, and I do not wish for the current occupants distress and thus I am perfectly willing to pay a consolation sum and to offer land in Artaparsa once it becomes available to said occupant as a sign of my benevolent intent. I have also rendered my service to Noctusan and to Mazda by establishing a school in the city, this I suppose should fulfil the terms of the original agreement. But the fact remains it is unnacceptable that land belonging rightfully to me is owned illegitimately by others, I cannot in this knowledge violate my families honour and allow this travesty to stand uncontested.

- Ardeshir II Artaparsi

With regards to the King of the Finns there is precedent for the continued existence for the crown of a population once they have joined the Empire, as evidenced by my secondary title as King of Babylon. Integrating the native aristocracy will be a challenge but one that I'm sure can be accomplished.

As to the legal matter, while it appears your challenge meets the required criteria I must pass the matter to the Minister of Law to avoid the possibility of partiality due to our houses long history of mutual cooperation.

Indeed, let us hope that the matter of Helsinki is resolved with a minimum of distress. I think we can all recall from our histories the problems of the initial integration of Sumerian community, and this integration would be far more extensive than that!

As to the legal matter, naturally it is within the ministers competency. I am sure though that you can corroborate the terms of the original agreement by your ancestor, unfortunately as is natural to such matters the agreements were confidential. Indeed this is the case with all the other original land agreements for Noctusan, with the terms of their transfer to private ownership being to this day undisclosed to the general public.

excellent. Than I await the legal ministers adjudication of this case and trust that he will fulfil his duties according to the letter of the law in full knowledge of the rightness of my cause.

(you might like to send a PM to aforementioned legal minister)

-

ON OTHER MATTERS

-

Public Speech

Considering that his Majesty has seen fit to appoint me to the position of foreign minister as a first call of duty I would like to consummate an agreement made with Almaty that in return for obliterating the Nords for them they would in turn permit the freedom of the Mazdaean religion, in spite of the attempts of Rome to enforce the Pantheon as the sole permitted religion in the lands of our ally through their diplomatic overtures and propoganda. Therefore in this light I will fund the following as a personal initiative, and encourage others to support similar efforts both in regards to Almaty, and also other city states where truth contests with the error of the Pantheon, indeed my father shortly before his death sent missionaries to Kuala Lumpur to wage spiritual war in that land for the elightenment and salvation of its citizens, and to liberate them from the tyranny of error.

-

missionary initiative

Duration: In Perpetuity
Cost: 125g

-

ON DEFOESRIGHTBOOT

Tragic news from Persepolis. The entire DefoesRightBoot family was found dead in the same room. A note was also found, saying "A warning to all who dare to challenge our might." With these deaths, the oldest house in Persia is now, unfortunately, extinct.
The will of Emmanuel and Maria DefoesRightBoot were read. All their belongings are to be passed to the Artaparsi family.

Public Speech

Since I have only recently entered politics (considering I was a minor at my fathers death) I must say I am deeply shocked at this turn of events, and utterly surprised. Yes the House of Defoesrightboot and mine have had disagreement in the distant past, but for many generations now we have lived in a mutual co-existence, indeed my own view of House Defoesrightboot was that although they played a role in the coup, they were in the present day mostly harmless. The fact that as a note suggests their deaths were conducted as a warning deeply disturbs me and I call for a full investigation of the deaths by the crown and the ministry of law.

Now since the House of Defoesrightboot has seen fit to grant me their assets, I have decided to, considering the not insubstantial assets my family already owns, to transfer all properties and moneys formerly owned by House Defoesrightboot to the Church of Mazda. It is in the service of Ahura Mazda and his Church that these lands surely will be of the greatest good.

- Satrap Ardeshir II Artaparsi

:transfer House Defoesrightboot assets to the Church of Mazda

ooc: I have got to say this was a serious surprise to me, I go back to look over the news and see the likely suicide of DFRB from the game done in a dramatic fashion. And then to boot he gives his stuff to me! Now sure perhaps he wanted to discredit me, whom is looked at erroneously as the iron fisted shadow ruler of Persia, but I still cannot fathom him giving me his land.

The Order of the Merciful Lord shall expand operations into Helsinki. They will take part in the rebuilding and assimilation efforts. I also plan to expand to city-states where Mazdaenism is in competition with other religions.

Though it is outside of my jurisdiction might I suggest that we issue a statement to the world that should Rome use force to attempt to convert a city-state, we will come to their defence. While this threatens our future neutrality, it seems vital to me that Rome not be allowed to trample over the world.

ooc: sorry I am still somewhat new to this game, What are the uses of land?

OOC: They give you money each turn, so in other words, GIMME MAI MUNY!

IC:

This murder concerns me, and I suggest a full investigation.

I would also like to volunteer for the position of Ambassador to the Ottomans.

Thirdly, I would like to announce the end of my series on the cities of the empire and speculative alternatives[1]. I feel that the records are not complete enough to write reliable reference books on the subject (OOC: In other words, I do not feel like going through 100+ pages for that, I just don't have the time.

Fourthly, I would like to announce that I am planning on a new publication that will be made available to all the lords of Persia that would like a copy. (OOC: In other words Civ, I am going to post it here as free for the PCs, but make the NPCs pay for it. Is that acceptable?)

Thanl you, and good day.

~Darius Chgrogers Tambien

[1] Alternate History

ooc: Civleader can you add courthouse to the list of available buildings (and if anything else has become available and isn't on the list can they be added)

I checked through the available buildings and units, and they all matched the list of available buildings. I checked the tech tree and indeed the courthouse should be available (thanks to mathematics) but it does not appear. Does anyone know why?

I attached the screenshot.

@Tambien: That plan is acceptable.

Attachments

• Courthouse problems.jpg
    Courthouse problems.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom