1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Governments

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Callonia, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Callonia

Callonia Deity

I was pondering during a long war. Then it suddenly came to me on what Civ 5 been missing..

Its the Governments!

Social Policies don't really replace them at all, they're more of an guidelines, principles, legislation and activities that affect the living conditions conducive to human welfare.

Social Policies is excellent idea but, not proper replacement for governments, we need them back.

Because Nations in civ 5 don't feel like nations at all, just an ethnicity having an disagreement with a certain ethnicity.

Please consider it seriously, thank you.

2. helpless_writer

helpless_writer Warlord

Well, the thing is, even with governments, it's not like the people make the decisions, it's still the leader.

CivIV never made it where if it's a democracy or w/e that the country had to support the war (though there was weariness) it was basically, I declare war and begin to conquer. There isn't much of a difference now, but there isn't a clear definition of what type of government you are running, though in some ways it is implied.

3. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I would disagree that social policies do not represent governments. They do, just not necessarily as explicitly as civics did in Civ4.

What would you suggest as a way of rectifying the problem as you see it? How should governments be implemented above and beyond social policies?

4. mj31311

mj31311 Chieftain

I love the idea that governments are tied to the cultural part of the game because thats actually much more realistic; however i agree with you that there has to be some form of diplomatic distinction between types of governments to yield diplomatic differences like all the other games did. Autocracies will have a worse reputation with democracies etc.

5. Colonel

Colonel Sandbox

I would support the return of government types in conjunction with some changes in the types of civics there are. As it would not make sense to be a Democracy and institute a permanent police state. The other thing I would advocate with this re-introduction of governments would be to have for the various types of governments some oversight by the AI. I got this idea from Galactic Civilizations. I want a form of congress for Republics, a citizen's quorum for democracies, for a monarchy a Nobles voting system, etc etc. Now with that being said I would say that these voting groups should extend beyond just choices to go to war as in earlier versions of Civ. They should have oversight over tax rates (need to actually have a tax rate) then oversight on allocation of funds. Further they should have oversight over war\peace declarations, a civics choices. To expand on this you should have blocks of voters on your side and against (ala political parties (many or a few depending on form of government)).

You could chase this rabbit hole down even further and have political assassinations to further political goals. Also you would need to base the number of voters for you or against you based on popularity with the masses. Once again you could take this even further with larger civilizations have distinctly different geographical locations and ethnic groups (think a newly conquered city) into predominantly opposition movements (Think red vs blue in the US New England blue, South Red).

This may all be a pipe dream but it was a nice indulgence.

6. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I think perhaps one way to work that indulgence into the system of absolute rule by you the player would be to have public approval, or something similar. Your people (in a democracy) or your lords (in a feudal society) could make requests and demands, and whilst you wouldn't be forced to abide by them, leaving control ultimately in your hands, there would be consequences for failing to acquiesce to multiple demands.

7. Tavelon

Tavelon Chieftain

What if when someone completes a certain Social Policy Tree, they become that government? And when they complete another, they switch. That would promote keeping your SPs realistically similar rather than having little bits of everything. Example governments:

Tradition-Monarchy
    Liberty-Republic
    Honor-Empire
    Piety-Theocracy
    Patronage- Feudalism? Confederation?
    Commerce-?
    Rationalism-?
    Freedom-Democracy
    Autocracy-Fascist State
    Order-Communist State

8. JWAT44

JWAT44 Prince

actually freedom is more a republic because most republics (especially modern) have constitutions largely based off of the U.S. constitution and constitutions protect the rights of the people from the government (freedom) liberty could be a more roman/greek style republic with a senate and you being the consul and then coupled with freedom becomes an american type constitutionally limited democratic-republic

9. Dryhad

Dryhad Prince

I think it would be great to see social policies along side governments (or civics). Social policies to me feel more like technologies; they open up the possibility of having two parallel tech trees, one for scientific advances fueled by research points and one for social advances fueled by culture points. Governments/civics would then have their requirements based on social policies.