Governor; upgrade or add new one?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Kin, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Kin

Kin Chieftain

Is is better to have a few upgraded governors or to appoint many governors?

2. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Early game, depending on your strategy and game play, usually I start with Magnus and Liang to help develop cities, go one promotion deeper for them if u want no-pop-cost settler or faster government building. If u have a city state u desperately want, get Amani.

Later in the game, Pingala and Reyna once cities are more developed and specialized.

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Liang, Magnus is a good early combo.
    One I would choose above them is amani. Early culture has been nerfed and getting that +2 culture can be really useful so it’s situational. For example you have no faith but there is a faith CS you have found, amani willngetbyou a pantheon pretty fast. Settled a place with good production but bad gold and there is a Merchant CS you have found, same thing. Amani is about filling your gaps, but is situational.
    Finding yourself with 3 Mercury amd you may choose Pingala but 20% of 3 is not as good as +2 science from a science CS with amani.
    She also allows for early Suze.

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Later in the game you'll be at war, taking cities. It's good to have a governor to put in them for the +8 loyalty points they give you. So I like to get at least four or five governors before I start upgrading them.

5. Victoria

From my experiences you need a couple on the front line at most, last game I never used any. In my first coiuple of games I did out of not knowing but now I understand loyalty more I'll often just leave them without flashing red for a bit. I think is there is a big risk of flipping I just tend not to even consider that attack vector unless I am happy to raze cities
    My advantage is taking a week off with the partner away to play continously.

6. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Usually I find the benefits from upgrading governors not to be significant enough to go for them. There’s a lot of upgrades that don’t provide much use for me. And I’m mostly a warmonger so I always need the governors for maintaining enemy cities before I’m able to get their capital. The faith one is almost always the last one I get. I might play a religious game next so maybe it’ll be more useful then.

Zike likes this.
  7. stefanos85

stefanos85 Chieftain

Isn't Amani a gamble when the Deity AI loves to capture every single CS it has nearby.
    How do you deal with that?

Edit: I can't believe I've been lurking for over 10 years and this is my first post. :lol:

whylom, Olleus and SammyKhalifa like this.
  8. Victoria

Some people just like to watch.
    The reason for getting Amani first is +2 from a CS early when you need it and you have found one meaning it is fairly close by. Even if she only lasts a few turns as governor it will have helped, it’s not like she risks death. The first governors come at a time you often are too busy to be building builders but the extra charge Liang or the super chop Magnus are options.
    I guess you also have to consider you get 2 governors fairly close together.
    On Deity even Victor could be helpful early so it’s not a solid rule, it’s all situational.

9. myclan

myclan Prince

I want to know why governor is useful for conquesting cities? They need 5 turns to establish in a city and loyalty just fall in a speed at about -20 that governer seems to be no that useful?

10. isau

isau Deity

Amani is good for grabbing golden age points too. You get points for becoming the first suzerain. Sink 1 token into each city state or send her to ones you were first to meet; cycle her around and you can boost your era score each time you control that CS.

stefanos85 and myclan like this.
  11. Victoria

Governor loyalty is immediate, well at the end of the turn. The rest of the abilities take time.
    Playing deity today, Korea attacked early, was fighting them off when the zulu’s Flanked me and I ended up getting Victor for the first time, and he was in fact quite handy.

myclan likes this.
  12. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

By the end of my current game I'll have five, but not all of them fully promoted. I grabbed Reyna and left her at her base level; I don't actually want to upgrade her it's just handy to have an extra governor to deal with loyalty problems. Also took Pingala early on (going for a science victory) and Liang to get faster workers and districts. Only grabbed Magnus after that once I realized how good he was, and started chopping away. I also had to take Amani and promote her due to an ongoing pissing match between America and myself over control of Toronto. (Doubled my emissary count from 20 to 40!)

The new Casa de Contratacion wonder is great; even if you don't have a lot of cities on foreign continents, the three governor promotions are worth the build cost.

myclan likes this.
  13. Timodelphia

Timodelphia Chieftain

I grab Magnus first and promote to no pop loss on settler before grabbing someone else. It has completely revolutionized my early game, allowing to settle 2 and 3 times as many early cities. His chop bonus is just "cherry on top."

stefanos85 and bonafide11 like this.
  14. myclan

myclan Prince

But Casa de Contratacion is a bit expensive so it normally will be finished in about early industrial era? And I just found the promotion of governer not so appealing that I didn't know hwo to spent the 3 promotion