1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Governor: What do you use? What Titles do you take?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Aurelesk, Aug 9, 2018.

?

What is/are your favorite Governor(s)?

1. Reyna (the Financier)

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Victor (the Castellan)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Amani (the Diplomat)

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Magnus (the Steward)

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. Moksha (the Cardinal)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Liang (the Surveyor)

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  7. Pingala (the Educator)

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aurelesk

Aurelesk Chieftain

First of all: I don't master the english language, so I'm sorry if I say something that doesn't make sense.

Civilization VI is all about micromanaging a lot of stuff that drive me crazy. Governor is one of those things. And I don't realise yet how gamechanging they can be. I ask you those questions:
    • What are the Governors do you use more often? Why?
    • What is the first you take? Why?
    • How gamechanging is this mechanic feel to you?

Let's talk about the Governor and their title:

Reyna the Financier

I think she's a really good late Governor. She basicly has 3 uses for me:
    Money making: Best in a populous coastal city with a City Center / CH / Harbor triangle with the titles Tax Collector and Harbormaster, the bonus gold can be higher with adjacency's cards and can give extra Science with the dedication Free Inquiry.
    Tourism: Just put her in a city with a lot of Great Work, so with a lot of wonder that have slots. A city with Apanada, Great Library, and the 2-slots Banks and you have 8 Writings with 32 Tourism each, so a lot of early Tourism (8 (base) × 2 (Printing Press) × 2 (Curator) = 32).
    Instant District: In the endgame, I just have to much money (I propably use it badly). You can basicly settle a endgame city in the middle of the forest, put Reyna there, buy a Spaceport, put Magnus, chop all the wood.

Foreign Exchange and Land Acquisition are pretty bad to me. The first one is dependent to enemy willing to send you a Trader to you (so: almost never), and I don't see a difference with Land Acquisition. But I think I just hate how land grabbing work in Civiliation VI. In Civilization V, if there is a ressource in at 3 tiles away from the city, the game doesn't wait that all the tiles in the 2-tiles rings are grabbed.

Basicly, I go for Harbormaster and Tax Collector and use her as a passive money maker. I take Curator if I go for a Tourism Victory, or Contractor if I need to instant-build district in the late game.

Victor the Castellan

I never use him. Only maybe I need a quick Era Score or for the +8 Loyalty. It's a defensive Governors. But if I need him to defend my territory, it's already too late

Amani the Diplomat

I use her for the +2 Envoy just to have quickly a City-State under my control, or at least, use her as a Loyalty token for my cities. The others titles are pretty bad for me. The level 1 promotions is about loyalty mechanics. If I really need to flip city, I will use Spy to kill Governors and reduce Loyalty, and build EC and go Bread and Circus. But war is a more efficient way. And if I need to protect my city against Loyalty pressure, well I really played bad to need that Title from Amani to protect against that (I can just put her in the city in question). The level 2 Titles are nonsense. Most of the time, I will have her to take control of a City State. So +4 Amenity for my City isn't useful (only if my city is going to flip to have the ecstatic Loyalty?). And if I'm in control of the City-State, I already have a copy of it's Luxury ressources.
    Puppeteer can be really helpfull to take control of a city-state, but I'm not wasting 2 Titles for it.

Magnus the Steward

Early gamebreaking Governor, if I want to abuse the chopping mechanics. Groundbreaker allow to have quickly everything and has a really good synergy with the Pantheon Goddess of the Harvest. I usually go for Surplus Logistics and make my Capital a powerful internal trade with Government Plaza (+1 Food/Production). Provision allow to quickly produce Settlers. It's probably powerful but I usually don't go for this, because I don't like to go wide. And conquering is often a good way to go wide.
    The 3 others titles are pretty bad for me: I almost never have a Industrial Zone so having 2-more of them that overlap on 1 city is uncommon; a city with many Strategic ressources is uncommon and Black Marketeer is garbage: if I don't have the ressource, I have units that can't heal; and I have only 1 ressource, well the city with Encampment is here, or I upgrade the units that I have already built.

Moksha the Cardinal

What's the point? Even for a Religion Victory, he's bad. Religious pressure take too much time! A Holy city with +50% pressure from Scripture is +6 Pressure, make it 12 with Moksha. You need 200 to convert 1 Population. So a 10 Population city in 10 tiles of the Holy City, Scripture and Moksha will need at least 1000 Pressure to convert, so 83 turns (I must be wrong, because I manage to convert city in less time). Most of the titles are used to defend your religion and not to spread it. And Inquisition is a really powerful unit to protect your religion anyway (make it impossible to win a religion victory with real players).
    Patron Saint is the only really good one, but, like Amani, I'm not wasting 2 Titles for it.

Liang the Surveyor

I like her. Not as gamebreaking as Magnus, but has useful tools. +1 charge for Builder is extremly useful, and Aquaculture allow to have a populous coastal city, making a really synergy with Reyna. The City Park isn't that bad in fact. Well, it's a not a tile you will work: it's a selfworking tile! It's useful for Tourism victory for making National Park and Seaside Resort more easily (new growth wood give 1 Appeal only and come late). +1 Amenity is granted automaticly if next to river, and the +1 Culture give +1 Tourism with the adequate technology. Well, you have to 'waste' 1 Title for it (Zoning Commissioner for my, usualy).

Pingala the Educator

He's basicly a stay-at-home Governor that bost yield of Culture and Science by 15%. I usually go for Grants for double GP points. In the late game, you can use it to make Science victory faster. But that's it. A good and simple Governor.

There is a lot of +XX% Production towards buildings. Most of the time, it's not worth to move the Governor for it, and so: waste a Title there. Why lose +15% Culture/Science for 5/10 turns just to save 1 or 2 turns of Production for a building? In fact, only Liang (for Districts) can be useful, because she don't have a passive bonus that will go away.

Of course, that's my point of view. I may be wrong (well: I'm pretty sure that I miss some mechanics and you're already screaming at your screen). I'm glad to hear what's your point of view!

So basicly, I'm going for:
    1. Magnus (Groundbreaker) : Allow to abuse chopping mechanics
    2. Magnus (Provision): Allow to have a bunch of Settlers without loosing any Population. I'm not a fan to have a lot of cities, but if I go for it, I will time this Title here.
    3. Magnus (Surplus Logistic) : Allow to have powerful internal Trade and make Capital grow quicker.
    4. Liang (Surveyor): +1 charge build
    5. Amani (Messenger): +2 Envoy, allow to have a city-state under control. May be choosen earlier or later in function of the need of city-state bonuses or not.
    6. Pingala (Librarian): Often go to the Capital when I don't need to feed my cities with Trade routes, or a city that I plan to go for Campus/Theatre Square (Capital often has Government Plaza and Commercial Hubs, so not readily suitable for Librarian bonuses).
    7. Liang (Aquaculture): Allow to have a really populous coastal city, and for Reyna to show here power in that city. Title only usefull if I can go for a coastal city.
    8. Pingala (Connoisseur or Researcher): One "wasted" Title. Depend of what you need.
    9. Pingala (Grants): Double the GPP. A really nice passive bonus.
    10. Reyna (Land Acquisition): No use of this Title. She tends to go in small city just to maybe make use of her ablity.
    11. Reyna (Harbormaster): Go to a Coastal city with the Harbor / CH / City Center triangle, with a lot of Fishery thanks to Liang. May be choosen sooner if Free Inquiry and the city is already there.
    12. Reyna (Tax Collector): Free gold, more gold from populous city.
    Then:
    • Cultural: Reyna (Curator) and Liang (Zoning Commissioner and Parks and Recreation). Reyna (Contractor) is useful too.
    • Science: Pingala (Space Initiative) and Reyna (Contractor). Liang (Zoning Commissioner) can be useful.
    • Religion: Moksha (Bishop, probably Grand Inquisitor, probably Citadel of God, and Patron Saint). Reyna (Contactor) is useful too. Liang (Zoning Commissioner) can be useful.
    • Domination: Reyna (Curator) and recruit Victor and Moksha for Loyalty. Liang (Zoning Commissioner) can be useful.
    After that: whatever you want. Most of the time, I go for Amani (Puppeteer).

Is that a good strategy? What is yours?

Even if I think Magnus and Liang more useful, Reyna is my favorite Governor. Mostly because she's a passive Governor that you move around for only 1 thing: buy a district (if you're ready to loose the money or the Tourism). Magnus and Liang, you have to move them so often to optimise the yield of chopping, not loose a population from settler, add +1 charge to a builder, the yield of coastal city, or the appeal of tiles, that in the end, I tend to not move them anymore.

2. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Generally ill get provision on Magnus before anything. Then Liang and I'll drop her in my biggest hammer city and crank out workers from there. After that it's Pingala for a couple titles to get the bonus percent towards building science buildings. He'll travel around developing campuses and I move him nearly as much as I move Magnus.

Beyond that it depends heavily on my needs. If I'm conquering Victor is nice because he's quicker to establish, he takes care of loyalty issues. Amani is good for that too along with gaining suzerainty from dangerous opponents.

Reyna tends to be underrated. She's great late game but her border expansion does help new cities establish. So if I'm peaceful I often take her before Amani or Victor.

3. ezysquire

ezysquire Chieftain

Magnus first every time for maximum chopping benefit. My second governor title is always his population for settler nullifier.

4. Aurelesk

Aurelesk Chieftain

I may be wrong but I have always thought that the +8 Loyalty work instantly, but the Governor need to be fullly in a city to have his Titles working (so: 5 turns except for Victor who need only 3 turns). If I'm correct, why use Victor? Isn't a waste of Titles?

Victor have some use. You can put him in cities you conquered for Loyalty issues, and strengthen your units during war. Redoubt allow to shoot them from your city (only work if the conquered city have wall) and Garrison Commander reinforce the units in the newly conquered city. But I don't really have the use of him: Victor is a defeatist. He doesn't allow you to progress farther in your victory, just to reduce the likeliness to lose against an agressive civilization. That's why he doesn't have my love.

I have some questions for Magnus and Settlers :
    • Do you start building Settler before or after Magnus have the Title 'Provision'? (Or do you prepare your Settler until 1 turn left?)
    • Do you rush to the 'State Workforce' policy, and build the Government Plaza? Both give you 1 Title each, allowing to quickly have Provision before unlocking Early Empire?
    • What Tier 1 building from Government Plaza do you use? Does Ancestral Hall (+50% Production toward Settlers / free Builder) come too late? Or do you wait to have it before settling just for the free Builder?
    Except the Roman with the Pantheon that give +1 Culture from Pasture, I think Ancestral Hall came too late for to make use of it.

I made some mistake in my first message. I'm correcting them.

5. GeorgeF

GeorgeF Chieftain

If I can get Goddess of the Harvest, I'll only settle 2 cities, 3 max, before unleashing the Magnus/Ancestral Hall/Monumentality spam. This means finding a good city to chop out Government hall and Ancestral Hall right at the start of Monumentality (to maximize the faith gain). Then, rotate Magnus to a few different cities to repeat this, you can quickly get more settlers than you know what to do with. I don't like Government Plaza in the capital because thats usually the best production and later in the game you don't want it to waste turns on the higher level government building (almost always the buy units with faith one if you've got Goddess of the Harvest).

6. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

@Aurelisk unless they changed it with R&F you do not get the loyalty until they're established. I normally only dump one point into him and it's only because he establishes more quickly.

7. GeorgeF

GeorgeF Chieftain

Actually you do get loyalty immediately - this is very important. The 3-turn establishment for Victor is nice for the +2 loyalty card which can tip the balance and also if you're expecting a counter attack. On occasion I've done Victor first when facing a very aggressive neighbor and it has saved my bacon.

acluewithout likes this.
  8. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Well Magnus is the biggest one, though I usually like Pingala the most to boost science and culture early.

1.) Magnus (Groundbreaker)
    2.) Liang (Surveyor)

Note that if I can get both fast enough, I would do Liang first to get a 4 charge builder to do Magnus chops. I also often get Liang to deal with loyalty issues too.

3.) Pingala (Librarian)
    4.) Pingala (Connoisseur or Researcher)
    5.) Pingala (Grants)
    6.) Magnus (Provision)*
    * Magnus's promotion really depends on need. Sometimes I get it before Pingala, other times I don't get it at all. If there's plenty of food and it'll grow back anyways. I don't take it.

7.) Amani (Messenger):
    8.) Reyna (Land Acquisition):
    9.) Reyna (Tax Collector)
    10.) Reyna (Curator) -- Only for culture Victory.
    11 .) Amani (Emissary)
    12.) Amani (Affluence)
    13.) Amani (Puppeteer)
    14. Pingala (Space Initiative-- only for space of course)
    Amani may be skipped depending on how CS's are going, or if I think I can win without her.
    14.) Victo Redoubt. Mostly to take advantage of governor related bonuses, may just skip
    15.) Liang (Infrastructure)
    16. Reyna (Harbormaster)
    17.) Reyna (Contractor)

These are sorta whatever, depends on endgame.