[R&F] Governor's breaking my immersion

nzcamel

Nahtanoj the Magnificent
I find the governor's still irk me in terms of breaking me out of the theme of being Civilization "X" during the game. I looked through the mod's and it seems that no one has modded them to being nameless faceless individuals yet...

I found this picture on Scarlet Nossna's reddit page; and it's the kind of thing that I'd love to see. Ideally with the names removed too, and just the title remaining.
Is anyone aware of mods that are in the works to do something like this?

Thanks

Spoiler :

d729307ef6ccba687b1a9761fb6f79d5.jpg

Honestly, replacing their names with just "Castellon", "Diplomat", etc on top of replacing their faces with those sweet icons would be awesome, too.

Side note: Does anyone else have a weird bug since the spring patch where sometimes the governor screen loads funny (like one governor off-center) and then the save loads that way for that game no matter if you save and exit?

Agree, they break immersion. They are rather silly in their art style, and historically rather ridiculous (unless you were the Mongol Empire I guess, but the industrialist hat on Magnus from ancient times is still silly). If Firaxis wants cartoon characters like that in a game, it's fine, but using the historical backdrop should mean stupid things like this don't appear in a Civ game.

[But then again, we also have bad Civilopedia entries that don't tell the full story (Seondeok's entry skips out on the rebellion against her even though that was in the Rise and Fall trailer), Civilopedia entries that don't explain the game (for example, how tourism is generated), and ridiculous quotes (air conditioning led to the fall of Rome), all set with a plastic UI, plastic leaders (except maybe Cyrus and some others), and plastic graphics (main menu, intro screen, etc).]

Civ VI lacks the majesty of V or the quirky mix of enlightened and humorous of IV. That the Civ VI governors look bad and fit in oddly shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

I probably would have rather seen then as a generic image like the above, and given a name from the spy list when you recruit one. But I find it's only a minor piece in the grand scheme of things to worry about.

I think governors should be drawn from a potential list of 20 or more and unlocked based on activity, tree unlocks or other special circumstances. Sort of like great people.

I think governors should be drawn from a potential list of 20 or more and unlocked based on activity, tree unlocks or other special circumstances. Sort of like great people.

Or like spies. (Remember in Civ V diplomats were kind of similar to spies).

Historically there have been many famous governors and/or mayors of civs that could be used:

Lord Mountbatten
Harvey Milk
Inalchuq
Johannes de Graaff
Arnold Schwarzenegger ("The Governator") :D
Etc.

I see them as my employees. They reward me with loyalty and I grant them promotions if I think they're valuable. If I didn't know what my employees' faces looked like and what their names were I'd be a horrible boss. If they all had names from my civilization it would feel like racial discrimination.

I’ve suggested this elsewhere: perhaps FXS could keep the current Governor “classes”, but for each class, there are a pool of historical identies that your particular Governor would be chosen from. That individual would still have a little headshot picture, and would still be your governor “forever”, but it would at least introduce some variety.

Some other advantages to doing that:

- There could be one (or sometimes two) historical figure(s) for each Civ. A bit of extra flavour, but also maybe if you randomnly get your Civ’s related Governor you could get a +Era score as a reward.

- Having a pool of indentites for each Govenor class would also open up the possibility of maybe letting Civs recruit more than one of a particular Governor class - maybe you could get a max of 3 of the same class, with a overall max of 7 governors total.

If I didn't know what my employees' faces looked like and what their names were I'd be a horrible boss. If they all had names from my civilization it would feel like racial discrimination.

1) They are governors, not mere employees working with you day in day out! They live, say, 500km away from you and for most the time your empire exists there are no telephones to talk over, no camera's to see pictures on. You forgot what they looked like years ago, and as long as they serve you faithfully you're happy to leave it that way!

2) Your empire is largely an ethnostate for most of its history... though no doubt if you go on a conquering spree then you will get foreigners among you; and if you're smart like the Mongols then you won't hold their foreignness against them. Bygones thou - it's no more discriminatory for them to reflect your civilisation than it is for your spies and whisperers to reflect your civilisation!

Of course I'm not asking for anyone to make the governors match each and every Civ (though that'd be nice if someone is dedicated enough :thumbsup:); I just want them to be generic. No name, no picture. Nameless faceless bureaucrats would be a beautiful thing :love:

I like the governor system but I wish they weren't the same in every game. I like the idea of a bit of randomness, like great people or apostles have. But not TOO much.

Of course, if I was doing a total governor "rethink and overhaul" I would rebalance them hugely, combine Reyna and Liang, nerf the hell out of Magnus, boost Victor and Moksha, and allow you to recruit more than 1 of each type so that governors had actual strategy to them.

"Do I recruit another Steward or promote the Steward in this city?", etc.

I think the Governor system was poorly thought out by making them very powerful to the point where some of them are SUPER overpowered instead of making them less powerful and more plentiful with more strategic uses.

Imagine being able to choose between several "mini-Magnus" that (at promotion level 2, say) had a +33% chop vs. mini-Amanis that allowed interlocking regional loyalty boosts or city-state lockdowns? Depending on who you were playing you could have a field day with it.

It's my one real complaint with R+F is that they were SO VERY CLOSE to having an awesome system... and missed it by that much.

Maybe have it so once you fully promote a governor, you can get a new one of that type, but every promotion costs 2 titles.

But also put more titles in the civics tree to make up for it.

Imagine being able to choose between several "mini-Magnus" that (at promotion level 2, say) had a +33% chop vs. mini-Amanis that allowed interlocking regional loyalty boosts or city-state lockdowns? Depending on who you were playing you could have a field day with it.

Yes!!

If governors were generic like spies, you could give them any promotion (title) you choose. So depending on your map+game, you could have more than 1 Magnus ("Groundbreaker") or more than one Amani ("Diplomat"), etc. :D

Rarely ever do I not choose Magnus to start. If I don't it's Liang cos I've a coastal desert/snow/tundra cap (with nothing to chop). The current Governors system is unnecessarily pimped out IMO :p

Last edited:
+1

"Keep It Simple Stupid" - Steve Jobs
Why not extend this logic to the civilization leaders? No animation, no voice, no native gear, just a generic picture.
The capital generates loyalty because my palace is there. In the same way Governors generate loyalty because they are my subordinate rulers. I will have to see them at council meetings to find out what's happening in my kingdom and at performance reviews so there is plenty of facetime. If I have an Audience Chamber, that gives special consideration to cities with Governors because they have access to me personally more easily. My civilization is an ethnostate up until Early Empire at the latest but every barbarian, city state, or tribal village I meet is a different ethnicity, so there are plenty of people to recruit from.

I find the governor's still irk me in terms of breaking me out of the theme of being Civilization "X" during the game. I looked through the mod's and it seems that no one has modded them to being nameless faceless individuals yet...

I found this picture on Scarlet Nossna's reddit page; and it's the kind of thing that I'd love to see. Ideally with the names removed too, and just the title remaining.
Is anyone aware of mods that are in the works to do something like this?

Thanks

Wouldn't it be great to have Isaac Newton run your city? Napoleon defending it? Ghandi as Ambassador? Honestly, why can't I just take a great person & place it in a city as governor?

Yeah I would insta-download a mod like that.

Current graphic design is just awful, not only for governors, but for every single character in the game. From all the things of CIV VI which I don't like, this is the only one that trully get on my nerves. I have yet to understand what was thinking the genius who decided to include such models in a game like this.

Reactions: Xur
The governor system reminds me a little bit of the governors/heroes in Master of Magic / Master of Orion 2. However in that games you could hire your heroes from a much bigger pool, have more than one of a type and they became more powerfull over time. It has been decades since I last played these games, but I think the number of heroes/governors was limited, too, to 6 heroes in MoM and 4 colonial Leaders and 4 ship leaders in MoO2.

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion_II:_Battle_at_Antares/Hiring_Leaders
https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion_II:_Battle_at_Antares/Colony_Leaders
https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion_II:_Battle_at_Antares/Ship_Leaders

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Master_of_Magic/Heroes

The Civ 6 system features the same 7 governors in every game and the way to get governor points is predictable. All civs have the same 7 governors, so in a game with N civs there are N Amanis!

Last edited:
The only flaw with picking governors like great people is that now you either need a unique promo tree for each of them, or else they need something unique about them, and that can be tough. I do think the notion of being able to recruit multiple stewarts would make sense - as long as they're balanced between each other.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing would be to change each governor to give them a direct benefit for each promotion level, on top of their other bonuses. So, for example, Pingala would be "+5% science/culture per promotion level", and then the rest of his promotions would stay the same, for example. Maybe Liang instead of the builder charge would be "+10% production to builders (or maybe all non-combat units) per promotion level", with the +1 charge per builder tacked on as one of the promotions. Magnus could simply be +10% extra chop bonus per promotion.

That way, each governor would start very weak, but would grow stronger the more promoted they become. And I would definitely like some later promotions on the governors to truly alter bits of the game. For example, if a later Victor promotion allowed him to instantly set up in a new city (once per turn), then suddenly some abilities become more interesting. I mean, to instantly teleport him to a new city to give them +5 strength, an extra city strike, and not being able to be put under siege may actually be a useful skill, instead of now by the time I move him to a city and he takes 3 turns to set up, I've probably either cleared out the threat or lost the city. Combine that with other improvements (instead of only getting +5 on defense, give it on offense too), and then suddenly you now basically have a new great general that you can move along your front line.

Although in defense, I actually just recently used Victor and I think he saved a city for me. Gilgabro declared a surprise war on me and started taking down my city, but just got a governor title and rushed Victor to the city. They got it down to red, but between his +5 extra strength and upgrading to my first swordsman, I just barely held on to get my troops back to push them away. I think without that +5, there's a decent chance he may have captured the city. But this was the very rare time that Victor helped.

Top Bottom