[R&F] Governors

Victoria

Regina
Supporter
Summarized nicely here http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_riseandfall.html

Now we know all the detail on them just how good are they and how can we best use them?

Their +8 loyalty is pretty strong, it seems stronger than their other values in some ways so I am wondering if its better to have more governors or higher promoted ones? Its a lot of investment in one governor to get it to the top.

Moving them around. So it takes 5 turns to establish themselves in a city which is not encouraging you to move them much. Ideally much more static in a larger city. This leads me to the question, are these encouraging larger cities?

Groundbreaker is an OP 1st level ability but only limited to 1 city at a time with 5 turns to move waters it down a bit. I can see Magnus being useful just as a first level governor.. in fact apart from Victor and Reyna they all have fairly strong first level abilities. It just seems to me at the moment governors should be kept at level 1 and have more of them to manage (and push) loyalty.

Any other thoughts

Well, the last/ultimate abilities obviously help a lot with certain victory conditions - space race, tourism etc. So, if you aim for them, you should probably try to maximize the governor in question.

Groundbreaker seems to be useful in general, so 1 level in that governor is maybe a must.

The surveyor could be moved around a lot to build parks & stuff everywhere.

I can't think so far ahead yet. The only thing I want to do is to pick Qin Shi Huang, recruit Liang, build the pyramids and run the extra charges to workers policy.

Is the 5 turns on all game speeds? I play on epic, but this would have a huge impact on online or quick speed.

I'll have to check out that link, but honestly, I'll just find out for myself as I play. More fun that way. I want at least 4 governors I think, that much I do know. All of them are unnecessary especially Victor.

I'll definitely recrute all of them (I like a wide playstyle), move them around for the loyalty gain & promote them as needed (Liang for city improvements!).

Has somebody counted the maximal achievable govenor points (tree + wonders) already? I could do this myself, of course, but I am pretty sure this was already done (this are the Civfanatics, after all ... ;) ).
How much can those Governors level up? (How many can be maxed out, if the whole bunch are recruted and how many promotions will the not-completely-promoted govenor be able to gain?)

Last edited:
Their +8 loyalty is pretty strong, it seems stronger than their other values in some ways so I am wondering if its better to have more governors or higher promoted ones? Its a lot of investment in one governor to get it to the top.

In the interest of being precise, it's +8 loyalty per turn.

I do think having the same number of governors as you have cities, will be very useful in keeping your cities loyal. That way, all your cities get +8 loyalty per turn which will make their loyalty pretty strong. It would be a good way of protecting your cities from a loyalty flip in a Dark Age.

Plus having all the governors, also gives you the flexibility of moving them around to where they are most useful. Also, some of the top tier promotions may not be needed right away so you can recruit a new governor before you need to promote an existing one.

Like some of you, I want to work with them all and just get a feel of their abilities. I think it will be interesting to play Korea with them as well. And yes, having the same number of cities as governors will be great, specially with Korea. About promoting them. I think I'll have a better idea once I get them all and play that way first. I wonder what tweaks they'll have by release time.

The governors should start with +1 loyalty and should only increase the longer they are used, up to max of +8.
+8 is not super strong offensively, more a defensive thing. At 5 tiles its only +4.
Of course placing 3 new cities with 3 governors in jungle and chopping the trees to soup up population may be a way of invading the enemy territory that is not near their capital. Big investment though when just a few tin men will do the same trick.

Has somebody counted the maximal achievable govenor points (tree + wonders) already? I could do this myself, of course, but I am pretty sure this was already done (this are the Civfanatics, after all ... ;) ).
I believe the number from the civics tree is between 20-25. Enough to get all the governors for sure, but not to get all to full promotions.

How much can those Governors level up? (How many can be maxed out, if the whole bunch are recruted and how many promotions will be the not-completely-promoted govenor be able to gain?)
I haven't worked it out exactly, but I think there are 13 titles in the civics tree. In addition, there are 4 to be gained from the Government Plaza, and the last civic is repeatable, and gives a title each time. So I would guess 17-20 titles are not unrealistic. I don't know/recall if there are other sources of titles.

I am not sure at all how to best use governors, it will be interesting to figure it out. My guess is that you might not want to level them equally, but have a mix of high and low level governors, depending on which specific abilities you want. The total cost for getting a governor and accessing one of it's top tier abilities will be 4 titles.

I am also not sure how important the governor loyalty boost is compared to the other abilities. +8 sounds like a lot, but it only matters if you actually need more loyalty.

I haven't worked it out exactly, but I think there are 13 titles in the civics tree. In addition, there are 4 to be gained from the Government Plaza, and the last civic is repeatable, and gives a title each time. So I would guess 17-20 titles are not unrealistic. I don't know/recall if there are other sources of titles.

I believe the number from the civics tree is between 20-25. Enough to get all the governors for sure, but not to get all to full promotions.

Thx I was wondering about this specifically...

To get back to the OP, I'm HOPING that this will add flavour and decisions to the early-mid-game... get them all first, or choose 1 or2 first according to victory aim ? I'm guessing that mid to late game will become more standard through each game though, with this many titles available without even counting wonders, as a lot of the governor's high level abilities seem to me very situational...

I think this will be fun to get acquainted with ;-) And I,m hoping that the AI learns to use Victor well too ;-)

At first glance, Victor seems decidedly not as good as the other ones (though all are interesting). It seems like there should be more to him.

Now, obviously I have not played with any of them and there might be something I'm missing here.

The governors should start with +1 loyalty and should only increase the longer they are used, up to max of +8.

Agree each turn they are in a city the loyalty for that city is increased this means that having lots of cities is a problem because oyu won't have many governors to protect them

so bassicly stopping infinitive city spam.

No, that would not work at all. +1 loyalty per turn is way too small. Other factors could easily overpower the bonus and still cause your city to lose loyalty. Also, loyalty decreases with distance, so +1 loyalty per turn would have 0 effect just 1 tile out from the city.

Imagine this typical scenario. Your city gets +1 loyalty per turn from the governor, +2 loyalty per turn from nearby cities, -1 loyalty from lack of amenities and -3 loyalty from nearby enemy cities. Your city has a net effect of -1 loyalty per turn. Your city actually loses loyalty every turn even though it has a governor!

With your system, a new governor would have virtually no effect on loyalty at all and only fully promoted governors would have decent effect on loyalty. Basically, only fully promoted governors would be any good.

Moving them around. So it takes 5 turns to establish themselves in a city which is not encouraging you to move them much. Ideally much more static in a larger city. This leads me to the question, are these encouraging larger cities?

I don't think so, there's only one ability that really benefit from population (Reyna's Tax Collector: +2 Gold per turn for each Citizen in the city). The other ability that seems to benefit is Pingala's Librarian (20% increase in Science and Culture generated by the city) but imo is not enough to justify a stationary governor there. Most abilities seems more tailored towards keeping the governors on the move, sending them where they are needed, when they are needed. Despite the 5 turns cooldown they seem more useful if you keep moving them, as long as you do a good job timing this transitions, just like you need good timing with Civic research to use policies effectively. Loyalty might also force you to send your governors to smaller cities on the borders of your Empire, while a large city doesn't need help with loyalty.

Lets take a look at each governor's abilities and how they are better used separately:

• Magnus the Steward
    • Groundbreaker: Better used on the move. Send him to city a few turns before you plan to harvest a resource.
    • Surplus Logistics: Better used stationary, probably in the capital for domestic trade routes.
    • Provision: Better used early in the city where you are making most of your settlers (capital, probably), then it's better on the move, in cities where you build factories and power plants.
    • Industrialist: Better used stationary in a city with a lot of strategic resources. Can be moved to a city that will build a wonder if it benefit from it
    • Black Marketeer: Situational, can change depending on what you're dealing with.
    • Vertical Integration: Late game stationary. Really powerful if planned ahead.

• Liang the Surveyor
    • Guildmaster: Good for early game. I usually make builders in waves later to make efficient use of policy, so I would put it in a city with high production that can make multiple builders fast, probably the capital
    • Infrastructure: Better used on the move, mostly in new cities that are making City center buildings and the city with government district when you unlock a new government.
    • Aquaculture: Better used on the move, unless you have only one coastal city.
    • Zoning Commissioner: Better used on the move.
    • Amusement: Better used on the move.
    • Parks and Recreation: Better used on the move.

• Pingala the Educator
    • Librarian: Better used stationary in a city with high science and culture.
    • Connoisseur: Better used on the move.
    • Researcher: Better used on the move.
    • Grants: Better used stationary in a city with a lot of districts/buildings or that generate gpt for the specific type of GP you're trying to unlock.
    • Arms Race Proponent: Better used stationary.
    • Space Initiative: Stationary in the city with highest production, where you certainly will do your projects.

• Amani the Diplomat: Amani is special because of her unique interaction with loyalty. If you're not expanding (AKA warmongering), you might leave her where you need loyalty/envoys the most. If you're expanding, you probably want to keep her on the move, always near the region where you're acquiring new cities. You also want to use her to try to flip cities from another civ that is having loyalty issues. She probably will be mostly on the move.

• Victor the Castellan
    • Redoubt: Better used on the move. Place him in a city that is under attack.
    • Garrison Commander: Better used on the move. Place him in a city that is under attack.
    • Defense Logistics: Better used on the move. Place him in a city that is under attack.
    • Security Expert: Since the capital usually is where spies are sent, you might want him there, otherwise just send to the city that need protection.
    • Embrasure: Better used on the move. Place him in a city that is under attack.
    • Air Defense Initiative: Better used on the move. Place him in a city that is under attack.

• Moksha the Cardinal
    • Bishop: Better used in your capital in early game, then in your border cities near another Civ you're trying to convert.
    • Grand Inquisitor: Better used on the move. Place him in a city that is being targeted for conversion.
    • Divine Architect: Better used on the move.
    • Laying on Hands: Better used on the move. Place him in a city that is being targeted for conversion.
    • Citadel of God: Place him in a city that is being targeted for conversion.
    • Patron Saint: Apostles trained in the city receive one extra promotion.

• Reyna the Financier
    • Land Acquisition: Mostly stationary. Depend on strategy.
    • Harbormaster: Better used stationary in a city with high Commercial hub and Harbor adjacency.
    • Foreign Exchange: Better used stationary in a city where foreign trade routes might pass through.
    • Tax Collector: Better used stationary in a large city
    • Contractor: Better used on the move.
    • Curator: Better used stationary in a city that have a lot of great works.

Only Reyna will really benefit from staying in one large city, up into you unlock Contractor, then you might want her somewhere else. All other leaders encourage you to move them more than not.

You also get 4 governor titles via Government Plaza and its buildings. Some Great Persons give one, too (at least one confirmed).

So 13+4 guaranteed in a game that lasts until the end. Not too many. If you manage to get CdC or some GP you‘ll get to 20.

My main strategy is going to be Magnus in my capital and a Government Plaza for at State Workforce. Groundbreaker and Provision will help get settlers out without diminishing my capital's population. I'll soon follow up with an Audience Chamber for +4 housing and +1 amenity to all cities with a governor. The title from the Audience Chamber will go towards Liang for that extra builder charge.

I'll use the two titles from the Classical Era to get Amani and upgrade her to Prestige to offset the -2 amenity to each city without a governor (I typically play with six cities, so getting a governor for each will take me a bit). Pending adjustments to how the AI conducts warfare, I might consider Victor here instead so I can assign him when and where he's needed if I find my fledgling empire under attack.

After the Classical Era I'll go for Moshka in the Medieval Era for quicker religious buildings, Pingala in the Rennaisance Era for faster a faster University and more GPPs, and Reyna for the synergy between Tax Collector and Audience Chamber. In the Industrial Era I'll spend a few more titles to alleviate the amenities crunch playing tall is going to create. This will be done by stacking a Water Park with my Entertainment Complexes (Liang's Amusement will help build the WP buildings quicker) and grabbing Promoter for Amani.

Top Bottom