[R&F] Governors

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Victoria, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Tinker

Tinker Prince

This is probably the R&F feature I'm most excited about, governors look very fun to manage and versatile enough to allow for a lot of interesting choices.

conorbebe likes this.
  2. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Agreed. I wouldn’t like it, either.

Mind you, extensive deforestation and the depletion of resources in the quest for expansion and growth is a historical reality.

craney1987 likes this.
  3. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

It appeared in one of the streams that they had to hit "next turn," but I wasn't paying that close attention.

4. Trengilly

Trengilly Warlord

Well in all the streams I watched the players started in quite isolated positions. So it looks like the goal of starting civs further apart was successfully implemented.

And it doesn't appear that chopping has been altered. Which means going for Magnus looks like the only clear choice.
    +100% chopping along with the +50% settler policy (not sure if this may be altered) and your capital doesn't lose population.
    You only need two governor titles and they come early at State Workforce and Early Empire.

If you have room for expansion then there isn't anything better than rushing the settlers.

With regards to total number of governor titles - it looks like we will have to be pretty choosy.
    There are only 13 governor titles on the civics tree and three of those are at the end (plus Future Civic repeating if you research it multiple times).

Ancient: 2
    Classical: 2
    Medieval: 2
    Renaissance: 0
    Industrial: 2
    Modern: 2
    Atomic: 0
    Information: 3+

Government district: 4 (1 for the district and 1 for each building - can't see when the buildings are available)
    Only 6 plus the government district before Industrial.

Arent11 and Victoria like this.
  5. Trengilly

Trengilly Warlord

I don't mind the chopping yields in the first half of the game - and it was very historical. But they scale way out of control - we should not be able to chop spaceports, districts and such in 21st century.

Thormodr likes this.
  6. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

I don't find promotions interesting, except for the district purchase one, but that is only needed when you need to purchase spaceport, which is certainly late game.

7. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

I found logic behing governors to be as following:
    - In general R&F theme of dark/golden ages and loyalty, the role of governors is to provide players with manual loyalty control.
    - Promotions are kind of secondary feature, allowing using governors in tall style, which don't have such loyalty problems.

8. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Agree with you there. Chopping spaceports feels ridiculous.

9. Trengilly

Trengilly Warlord

Actually you could make a pretty good argument for starting chopping yields quite a bit higher, not increase through the industrial age, and then they could decrease to nothing.

10. criZp

criZp Emperor

Yeah except that would make forest starts OP like crazy. While also making the map look much more flat and empty.

11. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Warlord

Anyone know how much Reyna's Land Acquisition (acquire new tiles in the city faster) affects city tile growth?
    It would've been nice if there was an indication on the ability.

Has any streamer tried Amani w/ diplomatic league produces extra envoys? If it works that's an early classical suzerain bonus.

12. KayAU

KayAU King

Perhaps chopping should just remain at the level it is at the beginning of the game, but just not increase much or at all through the ages. This would be a general nerf to chopping, but it would also be a little bit of a buff to China and the Aztecs, who have means to speed up wonders or districts outside chopping. Perhaps there should be other ways to speed up construction for all.

Arent11 and stealth_nsk like this.
  13. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Did we see chopping output in later eras in R&F?

14. Lord_Azazel

Lord_Azazel Prime Swatter

I keep wondering if having a set max of 7 governors over all the different map sizes will be good or bad. I do like the return of cities ability to revolt and leave your kingdom, but with the size the empires get on larger map settings, 7 governors might be too few to hold your empire together once you've consumed a few neighbours. It's gonna be an interesting mechanic for sure, I have waited for this mechanic since civ4.

Victoria likes this.
  15. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

I don't think you need to rely on governors for keeping your core cities, only borderline ones. And having too long borders on huge maps could be not so great idea.

16. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It is a good question and makes for an interesting limiter on expansion size. I guess having governors at the outside of an expanding empire is more useful. Having a coast at your back allows better use. Only 10 or so governor points until the end is going to make things interesting, you will really want those promotions if you want to push one governor early.... unless you have a "tall" empire but not many governor promotions directly help this.

17. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

I imagine most of us agree that Magnus' Groundbreaker is if not the most useful governor ability, then certainly in the conversation. But which ability do we think is the worse? My vote goes to Aquaculture. I'll pick it up because I plan to plant Liang in my coastal city for the +4 housing to offset the lack of fresh water and for the increased production towards Water Park buildings, but I can't imagine I'll ever waste a builder charge on a paltry +1/2 food to a coastal tile unless I had nothing else to work.

18. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

It does seem like it's ideal to get all 7 governors at level 1 rather than upgrading them first, but my current understanding is that if your amenities situation is good you won't really need their loyalty bonus. One of my concerns is that some of the tier 2 abilities are geared towards faster production of buildings rather than enhancing them. I'd much rather that they enhanced buildings, I think that would involve a lot less micromanagement and would allow us to build enhanced cities, where the governors have their own little kingdom ;)

19. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I like the idea of having one of their abilities for production bonus and building up a little permanent infrastructure (but not all or even most). I think the wall governor would be a little better if he had one upgrade to put a bonus to making walls or encampments/buildings. As it is, having not played but at least from the looks of it, he is one of the weakest.

darkace77450 and ChocolateShake like this.
  20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

The faster production bonuses will need more micromanagement to use them most effectively. I often like to build universities and research stations at the same time in my cities with a campus. With the governor, the most effective strategy could possibly be to move him around and build those buildings one at a time to utilize the production bonus. A little micromanagement can really help out.