[R&F] Governors

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Victoria, Jan 22, 2018.

1. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

Yup he does need some sort of defensive production bonus, it might make it more interesting if he "toured" the empire to build up defenses wherever he went :)

It does seem like micromanagement will be essential unless you have a city that has great yields in a particular area. Pingala's basic bonus seems to encourage him staying put, but if you upgrade him then he'll have to be moved around to make use of his Tier 2 bonuses. @Victoria mentioned that there might be 10 titles overall to distribute, it seems to me that it might be ideal to get 4-5 governors and upgrade them, unless you're facing a lot of loyalty pressure.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

roughly 10 until near the end of the game apparently. 3 extra near the end.

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I know I probably *shouldn't* use a builder charge for that, but it's not much different than planting a farm. Where I'd want to use it would be a late game with a large city, but at that point builders are getting pretty damn expensive.

I'd love it if the fishery counted as a fishing boat for things like God of the Sea, or the Kampung, or even the basic extra bonuses that the fishing boats get through the tech tree. If it's just a flat +1/+2, then that's going to suck, but if it improved, I could see it actually make sea cities useful. The one case that might make sense is if you have a peninsula city/island city, since then it can turn any coast tile next to a resource into a 4f tile with a lighthouse, and that city is probably going to have to work at least a couple of them.

4. Victoria

Well.... when I play as englad I look for a bit of coast that has lots of plains hills and get my food from the sea as lighthouses turn the sea into grassland and extra food at sea keeps my pop mining.
    I will certainly keep this one as a possible
    To me Vertical Integration or Air defense initiative are worth less

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

It is interesting that the promotions aren't as limited as they would have us believe. If you play long enough, enough future civics could get you a lot of promotions. Of course the game is usually won by then. I sometimes get 2 future civics before I win the space race (I usually turn off cultural victory because it comes too early). If you play really late into the game, this could be useful.

6. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

I guess that'll make wonders that award extra titles quite valuable. There are some very strong final upgrades, I look forward to building lots of city parks :)

It looks like Reyna is the only one that might be designed to stay put in one city for a long time, other than Victor. Too bad we can't assign two governors to the same city for some fun effects. It definitely seems like having them rotate through key cities will be critical.

7. Victoria

Leave 2 governors in the city together long enough and you get an extra governor?

Of are you talking about them building a 7 governor pyramid with +56 loyalty

Lord_Azazel and ChocolateShake like this.
  8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Maybe you have to keep them separated so that they don't get together and plot to overthrow your tyrannical rule

9. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

Pingala kind of looks like he's planning something ;) Guess we'd have to keep Victor around him to ensure he doesn't develop a secret weapon. Unless Victor is in on it...

Mini-Magnus running around trying to chop forests :) I'd love to see a +56 loyalty city :D

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

So I've kind of narrowed down the first 4 governors I will recruit. Amani, Reyna, Liang, and Pingala. Magnus seems great, but his base ability isn't that useful early game. I don't really like to harvest resources that much, so I probably won't pick him up until #5.

11. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

I couldn't agree more. A boost to building walls or a encampment buildings (I'm leaning walls) is precisely what Victor's missing.

It is pretty different than planting a farm, though, when you consider farms get adjacency bonuses that scale as the game progresses.

Ah, Air Defense, I'd forgotten about that one. You're right, that's the most useless upgrade.

I know I'll be trying to build the Casa de Contratacion in every game I play.

To me Victor (along with Amani) look like they're specifically designed to be moved frequently and the rest are probably better suited to be left in place. Whatever production bonus you're getting from a governor is probably nullified by the five turns it takes to establish them.

I couldn't disagree more. The earlier you take advantage of the chopping bonus the quicker you can begin to snowball. Stack it with wonder, settler, builder, and military unit policy cards and chop anywhere you intend to build an early district (since you'll lose the terrain feature anyway) to reap huge benefits. And since quarries are inferior to mines I see no reason not to chop stone on hills so you can get the +1 production bonus at Apprenticeship.

12. Victoria

Unconvinced on the Magnus front. I mean Harald could chop in a whole fleet jolly fast. Early chops have their place.... 50% agog, 25% god of the forge and 100% Magnus also makes an army fast... too fast.

13. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

Farm use valuable land space while the aquaculture use otherwise useless coast. Given that you want to grow cities to atleast population 10 to get a bonus from buidling policy card make aquaculture pretty decent.

Early chops could give you a key wonder and Magnus second tier abilities look rather nice to have. Worth to mention that theatre squares now get 2 culture per adjacent wonder so getting wonders can be a huge boost to culture as well as era score I would assume.

Pingala's double great people points would be pretty amazing if you get the Oracle. In terms of gold value he would produce more than Regina would produce but with less flexibility.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  14. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I misread that one, I thought it was only for harvest, but it also counts for feature removal. Really makes my early game decisions even more difficult. The financier will have to wait.

15. Trengilly

Trengilly Warlord

Magnus' Black Marketeer is a strange ability - being able to build units without having the necessary resource is nice - but will they be able to heal?

Lord_Azazel likes this.
  16. Lord_Azazel

Lord_Azazel Prime Swatter

Maybe only in that city's borders?

17. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

It occurred to me that the governors could be seen as a remix of Civ V's Social Policy trees. You get the governor trees by spending points you get from culture, you make your choices, and you won't get them all. Except they only benefit single cities and not the nation.

I far and away prefer Civ V's society model to Civ VI, but I'm not sure how I feel about this parallel.

18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I couldn't stand Civ 5's policy system. It's why I feel this is a much better game, even if the AI is worse.

Lord_Azazel likes this.
  19. Softly

Softly Warlord

Roll Harald. Never research Caravels or Press Gangs. Combo +50% melee ships, +100% naval card, +100% chop governor, +10% Ecstatic + God of the Harvest. Use the mountain load of production and faith to fast track to victory, and the hundreds of Viking Longboats to draw out obscene gestures in the middle of the ocean.

NegativeZero likes this.
  20. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

You are actually not wrong with that. It was stated by the devs in the Governors deep dive that they wanted to bring back with governors in some way the "you are limited in you choices, and these are permanent" that Civ V social policies had.