[R&F] Governors

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Victoria, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Magil

Magil Monarch

I think it's a nice compromise, governor title allocations are permanent but you can move governors between cities.

Civics themselves, well, I think IV/VI both did better there than V. But governors should be nice for people who liked V's policy system while still maintaining the ability to react to a changing situation (which is, imo, a key part of strategy).

Josephias likes this.
  2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I do find it strange the time to move governors is fixed. Moving governors around to improve build times is viable on marathon speed I think. I probably wouldn't do so on standard speed. Though I normally play epic speed. 5 turns may as well be forever on quick or online speed.

conorbebe likes this.
  3. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

It seems that the most important bonus for governors is the loyalty bonus.

So we're basically going for (7 governor+ Reyna purchase district), that is 10 governor titles, titles more than 10 seems value less.

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Is that really any different to a Sumerian chariot, super healing troops or legions that do not need iron.
    I played Harald once, never chopped a tree and won, it’s not hard to win with anyone really.
    However, if you need to get a tonne of production, chopping in a ship to get the production, not the ship, is the point.

5. Lord_Azazel

Lord_Azazel Prime Swatter

I thought that was the exact reason they skipped that part of civ5 when they made civ6. But now they're sort of bringing it back? I don't like this, I like the flexibility to change governments completely. :(

6. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

You can't change unit promotions either.

I understand why people wanted policies to be changeable, but I do not think you should be able to take back every single decision you make.

7. Softly

Softly Warlord

Exactly, that's why I said don't research caravels.

8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

which IMO is cheesy and needs changed. no offense, i know people like to find holes like that.

Thormodr likes this.
  9. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

It is not they want to change it, is they tought this part of the strategy (commitmens till the endgame) was partly missing, and recovered it with a more flexible system, without changing the flexibility on policy management. As Magil said, a compromise between both options

10. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Would have preferred governors use historical figures as their basis, basically being another type of great person. Of course, that would like mean calling them something other than "governors", but small matter.

Failing that, I'd just as soon have had them just be faceless symbols with names, a la spies.

And with regards to their effects, I'd prefer that they primarily customize the cities they're governing in permanent ways rather than float a bunch of bonuses around from city to city. The cities should be the stars of the empire, and developing them the focus of gameplay, not just feel like a socket that the governors are being snapped into. I like Liang because she actually adds fixtures to the city. That should be more of a rule with governors rather than the exception. A lot of the governor bonuses could translate into a unique improvement.

It often feels like the whole vision behind Civ V vision is mutating even further away from the fundamentals. Decisions about where to settle and fight on the map grow more and more moot, because yields from territory are pretty flat no matter where you go, how many resources your land claims, or how much you improve your tiles. The limelight gets taken away by eking out buffs largely map-agnostic.

I guess the fact that the governors are all a generic mishmash of nonspecific personages that are the same for every civ is kind of symbolic of where Civ is going in terms of strartegy.

11. Victoria

I am playing a Victoria Deity ATM, T120 and just researched Caravels. Often there is no point, especially if a another couple of civs have cleaned the waves of barbs already.
    So its not like you have to forcibly not do it and trust me, if you want to be an awesome naval force then researching caravels is just fine. I have done with with Norway and what it does is give a huge start to Norways land base while providing a navy as well.
    I think it can be done without being cheesy beyond the extent of chopping, which is clearly a designed game mechanic. If they nerf chopping they will be nerfing one of the weaker civs but I would definately say Norway is above France before R&F

12. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I don't know, after you blast someone with overflow hammer the aforementioned obscene gestures with the leftover ships is a petty important part of the experience.

Victoria likes this.
  13. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

I'm very worried that 80-90% of game starts will focus around Magnus, his first 2 abilities and chopping.
    Noone mentioned the Government Plaza with Ancestral Hall, which gives another 50% settler production AND free builders for every new city.
    Does this mean 400% settler production, massive overflow, no "lost" population and free builders??? All this before Political Philosophy?

Also, even after you moved Magnus around, mowed down every forest and bonus ressource, you can still use his +20% to industry buildings to regain some production even from barren land.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  14. clapyourhands

clapyourhands Prince

There's value both in a flexible system that allows players to respond quickly to change, as well as a rigid one that makes individual decisions impactful in differentiating themselves from one another. The upside of the former is that it lets players dynamically interact with the system in reaction to a recent event. The downside is that individual decisions might feel bland and inconsequential, since they can be easily reversed. The upside of the latter is that it allows for long-lasting change that distinguishes different paths of development, both between players as well as between games. The downside is that a poor choice feels much worse, as there isn't much one can do to fix the lost "opportunity cost" of not making a better decision.

IMO policies being the former and governors being the latter seems like a good thing. Policies are much more feast-or-famine, in that if you choose bad policies you get very little from them and would be significantly behind your opponents if you made one bad choice and it was difficult or impossible to change it. Governors have more leeway, since even a badly-promoted governor still provides just as much loyalty as a good one; players are rewarded for picking good promotions, but a misstep is hardly crippling when they still perform their main function just as well.

darkace77450 likes this.
  15. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

Chops increase in value the longer you can withhold them but on the other hand early production is more valuable than late production. You only get tier one Buildings with tier one governments so you need political philosophy Before you can get the ancestral hall.

16. Equilin

Equilin King

I also prefer namable icons of each type. It will also allows for a civ-specific unique governor later too.
    As for moving, it is appropriate. Regional governors are moved from time to time in history, taking their skills (and sometimes trusted personnel) with them to a new city assigned to them by the sovereign. Buildings, systems, land improvements stay in the city even without that same governor unless changed by a new governor. Totally accurate there.

17. Victoria

It’s not 400%, no % is doubled up/used twice, all % in the game apply to the base.

Ancestral hall 50%
    Magnus 100%
    Colonisation 50%
    Monumentality (golden age) 30%

+230% at best... yes this will be one of the first game styles I play.

Provision certainly also helps with the speed you will be producing at.

ChocolateShake likes this.
  18. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

But Magnus doubles chop yield, while the other bonuses increase production towards something. I'm not so sure they don't stack for more than 230%

19. Victoria

Apologies, monumentality is 30% on purchase.
    It’s not long now, let’s wait and see.

20. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

Even if you can spam settlers you may not be able to keep the cities due to loyalty. The capital cities get +1 extra pressure per population so they are going to be major issue for new cities.