1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Goz-12 - 5CC - Large map - Space Race

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by gozpel, May 13, 2006.

1. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

We will play this on large map as is stated in the headline.

Normally 5CC is played on Standard, but here with a larger map we will find the difficulties harder due to more AI territory and also more AI competitors.

My team-mates scoffed at my proposition of playing Babylon and schemed behind my back to offer Korea and Wang Kon a helping hand to win by Space Victory.

My choice of Babylon was due to cheap cultural achievements, but in a democratic way I agree to play Korea. Also, I want to try the unique unit under some tough circumstances and after all, we can still build cheap libraries.

Not that it matters much though, we will build every happy/science improvement in all our cities, sooner or later. It's just the quick change between gov's that bothers me, but with a proper management of our empire, we don't have to switch gov more than twice.

We are Scientific and Commercial and will play peacefully so we can expand our 5 city nation to it's fullest, before we take out our neighbours one by one.

Our ammunition will be strong commercial skills and fast research, and in context with this, we'll be building a force of Hwacha's:

Invited players are:

Andronicus
    SimpleMonkey
    Whomp
    zerksees

I suppose we could use another player or two, but you have to be skilled at Deity also have appropriate MM-ing skills.

Now, I tried to find a proper map, but was either closed in or we got something like 5 cows in our area. I don't want either of that, I just want a decent start with river and a foodbonus.

Foodbonus can be cow, wheat or wines, I don't care. Just as long as we get something to battle those AI's so we can get 5 cities down before they block us in.

I wait for your answers and will continue looking for that decent map. One cow is all we need, not 5 and just enough expansion to get 5 cities without overlap.

I know I said otherwise in the PM's, IF you get a good start after 20 turns, just post it, mind you?

2. Andronicus

Andronicus Emperor

Did we agree on SS or was that just letting off some hot air :mischief:

edit oops, just noticed you did say SPACE-SHIP above

3. gozpel

Thanks Andronicus,

Now I have to ask a mod to fix what I forgot to mention.

4. Andronicus

Andronicus Emperor

Want to try this one?
    Korea, diety, random opponents, random geography, restless barbs :D
    OK, first rolled start with river

5. gozpel

I rolled quite a few of them starts.

Where's the food bonus?

You don't want one?

6. gozpel

That's what I want.

But if you played a few turns and say this is the one, I trust you.

It looks ugly though.

7. Andronicus

Andronicus Emperor

I did play a few rounds but didnt want to spoil you. Lets just say I think it may be worth trying. If you want the first 20 go for it, if not I'll play on.

8. Andronicus

Andronicus Emperor

It's not a 5 cow 4 wheat start :mischief:

I quite like playing on first rolled starts, makes me think I havn't manipulated the setting's in my favour.

9. SimpleMonkey

SimpleMonkey King

I'll try to contribute something this evening. My current deity solo game is also Korea (actually, I renamed them Klingons just for fun), and I only managed to pull off 4 cities before being boxed in by the Germans and Zulu. Ouch.

And what's wrong with pulling up 5 cows, I ask? :lol:

EDIT: Checking in, BTW. :salute:

10. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

Would you take an(other) idiot in?

I am Deity-skilled, with a lot of SS practice, and although I'm not very fammiliar with 5CC I usually have a smaller nation with highly developed cities.

I actually had a longer break from Civ3, and I started playing again last week (and dunno when I'll be able to stop). But I simply couldn't resist posting when I saw "will play peacefully".

:mischief:

Edit: You didn't mention the difficulty level. Since you asked for Deity skills, I suppose it's either Deity or DG. What is it?

11. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Checking in.
    I can vouch for Pentium's skills if we can add another idiot.
    I am attempting some starts. We'll see what comes of it.

12. gozpel

Welcome aboard Pentium. :)

It's Deity of course and I also forgot to mention I wanted 11 AI's. That's how it goes when you try to start something when you're drunk...

I'm having a look at Andronicus's save and see how it goes. I might try to roll another few maps as well.

13. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

Thanks for letting me in :)

If you said that start is good, there must be a lot of cows nearby :D
    (I hope so...)

14. ThERat

ThERat Deity

:eek: daring attempt guys :goodjob: I wish you all good luck in this

15. SimpleMonkey

SimpleMonkey King

I rolled a couple of maps and actually played through one that I thought was promising. Got all five cites placed well, but it turns out that life is kinda tough in deity when you don't have horses or iron. I can try for a couple of others, but I'm curious to see what Andronicus came up with.

16. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

lurker's comment: If you want I can test-play this to see if the attempt is futile or possible .

Just tell me if you want me to.

17. zerksees

zerksees in remission

Well I want to go on record saying that I did not vote for Korea, but I'd try it if we picked the Zulu.

I suppose we could get lucky and find a couple balanced AI, so good trading and some crafty sabotage to make this spaceship thing happen, but my prediction is that we are going to have to crush them before we get to launch the ship. Not that goz-11 is affecting my judgement :twitch:

18. gozpel

No worries Rik, the game is afoot. :)

I started to roll new maps, but fortunately I remembered the save from Andronicus. It's playable and I took 30 turns to get us started.

I moved the worker to the BG, but didn't see anything of value, so the settler went S to the river.

3950BC - Seoul is founded and there's a cow on plains outside our borders, it will come in handy after border-expansion.

Start a warrior and worker roads the BG.

Because this is large map, I set science at minimum (20%) on Writing.

3800BC - Road finish and worker run 2S to irrigate the cow.

3700BC - Our first warrior Bubba is trained, send him to the mountains eastwards where he spots gems. Start another warrior.

Worker start to irrigate the cow.

3600BC - Bubba spot another gem and finds a coastal tile NE.

3550BC - We have a possible place to found a city by the coast, there's a fish there too, but we will need border expansions for the dot I have in mind to get it.

But there's a deer E of Seoul, which look like a first choice for next city.

3500BC - Irrigation done, road cow.

Bubba investigates the promising area.

3450BC - Seoul's borders expands and we build another warrior (Bluto) -> settler.

Cool, I forgot that Andronicus chosed barbs as I see a goodyhut W of town. Not that I'm going to pop any right now, but it's nice to know.

Send Bluto W and check luxtax at 10%, science the same.

3350BC - Bubba climbs a mountain and find another game, that will be our next town. Hopefully we can trade for CB and do some chopping for a temple. Send the worker over there to irrigate some plains, so our upcoming town will have some food.

3200BC - 2 stack of 4 russians each pops a hut next to Bubba, they're up Masonry, Pottery, WC and CB. No surprises there.

Bluto wonders over a range of hills and meet an English warrior. They are only up Pottery on us.

Bubba finds some floodplains and Bluto see furs, they're all out of reach for us though.

3100BC - Seoul settler -> warrior. Send the settler to the game-area.

Bubba is walking over the floodplains and there are 3 wheats there, talk about food galore. Pity we can't grab any of that.

3050BC - Good news, we meet the Celts:

2900BC - Seoul warrior -> warrior. The new warrior Bonkers will scout N.

2850BC - Pyong (renamed) founded -> temple. Worker starts to chop forest there, we will need to expand those border as fast as we can.

Bluto meets a German spear, they know Masonry.

2800BC - Bubba meet an Iroquois warrior, they too are up Masonry.

2750BC - Seoul warrior -> settler. Send Beppo S.

I notice that the Celts have learnt The Wheel, but they won't part with it. But they have 2 workers for sale, I buy one for 124g. We need roads.

2670BC - Bonkers wanders up to a barbhut, sitting next to a GH up N. I'll have to try it as an English warrior is tracking.

Beppo finds another decent spot S for a town. With expansions we will have 2 floodplains and lost of hills and mountains.

2630BC - Bonkers takes out the barbhut for 25g.

2590BC - Civs knows IW, Myst and the Wheel, but noone wants to share their knowledge.

Bonkers pops the GH, but nothing but barbs comes out of it.

2550BC - 3 Civs are building the Pyramids.

Next settler should go to the red dot, the one after that should clain the gem-area, where we also can build a curragh. Last city look like it will be NW, there are some mountains and stuff there, but to avoid overlap, that city can't be put on a river. Except if we chose a coastal spot, but not too much of BG's there.

Who wants it next?

Attached Files:

19. gozpel

Btw, the worker should finish irrigation and road by Pyong, then go and chop the game-forest and fo course irrigate it when that's done.

20. Andronicus

Andronicus Emperor

As previously mentioned I did play 20 turns (unfocused) to determine if it may be playable. Because I explored a little that you have not, I should not take it next and will refrain from commenting for the moment