1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Goz7 - The Squeeze

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by gozpel, Dec 1, 2004.

1. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

We can only build cities INSIDE our borders. This will be a cultural game of gaining 100K before the AI launches its ship.

A completely whacked scenario, that will need a few restarts. Or else we'll be kicked off the map before we can prosper.

Everything cultural is essential! We play the Babylonians!

More ideas are welcome and players with a challenge on their minds are welcome as well.

This will be Tough Deity!

We can change some stuff, but not the general idea.

Players:

1 - Bedhead
    2 - Kaiser Berger
    3 - gozpel
    4 - Sir Bugsy

One more player and the roster is full.

2. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

This will be an ICS game?

3. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain Supporter

It will be rougher than ICS as you must get a temple built in a city to get expanded borders to allow for another city. The land grab stage will be brutal.

4. gozpel

Yes, it will be ICS, but with small map and fat archipelago it is doable. I've tried a couple of times myself and found that Babylon is a good choice for it.

But as Lee pointed out, brutal is the word :)

5. bed_head7

bed_head7 Chieftain

Very interesting idea. I will have to join.

6. Kaiser_Berger

Kaiser_Berger Terran Emporer

Well, I see now that you've truly gone off your rocker. I can't believe you'd propose such a preposterous idea. Of course I'll join :) :lol:

7. gozpel

I know it's a weird idea, but I had to try it in a SG. :)

Welcome both of you. Nice to play with you again bedhead, we need a cultural guru here.

Players:

1 - Bedhead
    2 - Kaiser Berger
    3 - gozpel

2-3 more players, so sign up to get your butt kicked :lol:

8. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Are you sure you want to try it in Deity? Actually, I think Lee is sugar coating it a bit. It will be worse than brutal. I haven't been :spank: since two weeks ago when I got :spank: in RBC Epic 45. I guess I'm due for another. :rolleyes:

9. bed_head7

bed_head7 Chieftain

I would have preferred Demigod, but why not give it a few tries on Deity just to make it more fun?

Edit: Is that the roster or just a list?

10. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

If you would do this in Vanilla, I'm in.

But C3C is out of reach.

So I need to know that. ;)

Mac users can't get C3C. :(

EDIT: this post looks a little... unthough. Oh well, I'll keep it so.

The real reason for editing was the point that Vanilla playes it harder so it would be a bigger challenge, as you seem to like them.. *hint, hint* :mischief:

11. T_McC

T_McC Overeducated Layabout

Not a sign up, but ...

Unless there are a few sentences left out of the initial post, this should play easier than a passive 100K game. If you have a corner start, it seems fairly straight-forward to build Temples/Libraries in border cities, then raze-and-replace to move the front-line forward another set. Rush some culture in newly-found cities, rinse and repeat. I think these rules make it impossible to capture enemy cities, but it seems to me that this game sets up to a 100K Warmonger's Delight. ICS at the start until borders get established, then oscillating wars against neighbors.

If you intended this game to be passive as well (or change the rule to no land units may leave your cultural borders), then this sets up as almost strictly an ICS game.

I'm not sure the expansion phase will be that painful, as any city with a 2-food tile to work upon founding can have a border expansion in 15 turns (whipped Temple). Even if the capital is a 4-turn settler factory, I think the larger problem is going to be the AI crowding you, not the self-imposed restriction. You just won't be able to "settle wide" and back-fill unopposed. Again a start on the end of a continent (and not a corner-coastal-capital) would seem to be almost required, so you can have at least 1 direction to settle at your leisure.

12. gozpel

Sorry Ankka, it is C3C. Get a PC :lol: And I know you're tougher than you sound.

T_McC, we are allowed to whack as many cities as we want/can, but we don't keep them. Any cities gain by flips (yeah right) we should keep. Otherwise raze towns that screws up our civil engeineer's plans and plant new ones when borders are expanded.

bedhead, if you like the list, it is a roster ;)

Bugs, we have to try it at least and yes, brutal is a weak description. But I lost games before and think this will be hard and fun. I was thinking DG at first, but the I though...What the heck...

13. bed_head7

bed_head7 Chieftain

If we get started over the weekend, then the roster looks good to me. Probably until winter break (so the next two and half weeks I guess) I will only be able to play over weekends. I sort of expected this one to fill fast, so putting me first wouldn't have been very good placement. But maybe there aren't as many masochists in the SG community as I once thought.

14. gozpel

I think we can start with 4 players, some crazy player will find this interesting :)

So roll a couple of starts so we can get this going.

15. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I hate ICS so I can't join. :)

Plus it clashes a bit with my long-planned culture expansion game. It's been so long that I suspect some people have become impatient. :) However I do not feel like sponsoring new games before X'mas so it'll have to wait until next year. If you are still interested and want to get it rolling maybe you can start it.

16. gozpel

Let's wait a week or two for the cultural game, microbe. You can always start up the discussion though, since we weren't clear how to do it?

And come on! You love challenges, so sign up. With a good crowd any game is fun :)

17. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Well OK, I will see how exactly I hate ICS by actually trying it then.

But you need to play-test the culture game for me and decide the difficulty level/civ/etc, or just sponsor it. :)

18. gozpel

Thanks microbe, I didn't want to call you "yellow" :lol:

There will be a lot of MM'ing in this game and you are pretty good at that, so I see this as a great reinforcement to our team. I just hope you don't hate the concept too much.

Can you please PM me your ideas about the rules and such for the culture-game and I will test it.

Players:

1 - Bedhead
    2 - Kaiser Berger
    3 - gozpel
    4 - Sir Bugsy
    5 - microbe

bedhead, the game is on!

19. gozpel

Just to inform you again, we can wage war as much as we want, but we can't keep cities we take. We can keep cities we gain by flips though.

If you have any other ideas or anything, post it now, because the struggle will begin.

20. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

The theory seems straight forward. We'll see how that goes.