1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

gpt deal problems and stalling unwelcome wars

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by cyberminger, May 17, 2006.

1. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Well I very very rarely get cross, since I avoid the OT forum. :D

Anyway no spears at say Warlord/Regent/Monarch is not the same as no pikes. A few pikes in a conflict town is often wise.

Now in the AA you do not have pikes, you have spears. They are worthless on attack and not much good on defense. Swords have as much defense and can attack. True spears are cheaper. I would relent on the no spears, if you were under siege, but why would you be at those levels?

In your example, what would you like to have done? Would you like to have brought along 5 spears? Would you like to give up 5 Gallics for them? I did not think so. Your other choice is to wait for the 5 spears and them face even more units.

First I have not seen 9 spears in a town on these levels. That is because I would not let them get that strong. By the time they had 9 spears for a single border town, I would probably have knights.

To stick with the parameters, in the scores of games I have seen, I would not expect them to even attack a stack of 15 gallic swords, unless they were redlined. I am presuming that you got attacked, because the AI had some crazy number of 3man units.

I mean until you get to deity or sid the AI should not be out producing you by much. Surely not at Monarch. I would expect the top civ to not even have 20 troops at those levels in the AA.

Looking at demigod in the early middle ages, you tend to find 2-3 in most towns and 4 in a few top towns. Yes they sometimes have 6, but then some place with have 1. If they have 10 towns, we are talking about 20 something. Now AA for lower levels should not being doing better than that.

So what happen to those 15 gallic swords?

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity

The flaw is that he was using 2 move gallic swords and you are talking about sending spears with them? Now everyone moves at 1 tile pace? Better to send a bunch of cats with them, if you want to go slower.

Now if you are already sending 1 move units, then by all means take along some spears and let them do the defense and die. Any stack like benefits from having cats as well as they will save some lives of attackers and defenders.

I do not recall anyone saying, maybe they did, not to send spears with archers on an attack, if you have them. It was really about having spears sit on towns for defense, that probably never comes.

3. cyberminger

cyberminger Chieftain

Regarding moving the def units with the 2 move attackers - often the attacker moves one then attacks on second, the def unit can move the one but not fortify, i guess

Regarding the 9 defenders, i'd really bottled up the hittites at the bottom of the continent and so i suppose they were just producing military (without iron) for a while whilst i was still making settlers.

Thirdly, I was up to Knights stage by then, but no horses (and for some reason, no-one wants to trade me a very useful military resource;) ), hence pikemen and gallic swords. Incidentally, this town i was attacking was plonked on top of the continent's nearest horse resource - maybe that's why the ai had so many spears...

I ended up emptying some of my inner cities of their pikes and sitting them on top of my 15 gallic swords as protection

As to not letting the ai get that strong, i suppose that's my fault. The weird thing about this game is that on my continent, all 3 civs were really bunched together in one half with a completely unoccupied second half connected by a 3-square wide isthmus. I took AGES to settle all of this, so probably neglected my military duties. Still, this is my first C3C game on emperor and I'm way out in front on score and culture and level on power and tech despite conquering 1 city only (and getting 3 culture flips to me).

Basically I guess the easy answer is - get some horses.:ninja:

4. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Well that makes some sense. Sid civs will crank out troops till they choke and you can run into scores in one town on an island. so the game was past the AA really, then.

5. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

This why I have learned to build more offensive units since I started playing PTW; in other words, since I could build upgradable swords. :)

6. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

And that's part of my problem on building warriors/swordsman. I got to used to ignoring those units in Vanilla because they didn't upgrade.

I still build defensive units, but not near as much as I used to. I much prefer the 'the best defense is a good offense' mentality now.

7. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

Oh sorry, I missed something there. I was thinking swordsmen/slow attack units. Gallic swords? I don't know what it is. I have not played PTW or C3C.

8. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

It's the Celt's Unique unit in PTW/C3C.

9. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Gallic Swords are what makes the Celts a terror. The 2 move gives them the same speed as horses and twice the defense. I have not played them in some time, but I remember getting an early army of them and really punishing the AI in C3C as the Gallic army get 3 moves in the AA, ouch.

10. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

I love the Gallic Sword. It's a devastating unit on the offensive and as good as a spear for defense (better actually as it can retreat from most units if it's losing), and it triggers a well-timed GA for me.