GPT for Techs Bug

Stewie0416

Who Cares?
OK, so I was playing a normal game and I was trying to sell a resource for some gold. But, when I clicked OK for the amount of gold I wanted, I accidentally clicked a tech. Then this happened....

I tried it out again and I got the same result.

I think this bug can be exploited several ways. You could ask for 1GPT, but that box over the tech you want to sell, then ask "What will you give me for this?" and I think the AI will give you quite a lot of resources ( Haven't tried this yet)
Sorry if this already has been posted, although I never seemed to see this every happen!

I definitely think its a bug. If you could do that to the AI, that would be awesome though, just cancel the trade on the next turn! :p

I definitely think its a bug. If you could do that to the AI, that would be awesome though, just cancel the trade on the next turn! :p

Well the AI actually gets the Tech, so I guess that would satisfy some old Civ 3 fans:lol:

It's good if you want to let the AI abuse you.

Does it force peace or not when you do it?

that's actually kind of cool. you could exploit this, say you saw monty was WHEOOHRN, go ahead and make this deal with him and let him DoW on somebody else.

I do not think a peace treaty is forced by making deals with the AI like this...

Does the AI also accept recources and 3gpt in exchange for a tech? If so I can see this getting exploited, otherwise it is just plain silly.

I have not been able to replicate this bug. Can someone give more details on how to do it?

RJM

I have not been able to replicate this bug. Can someone give more details on how to do it?

RJM

Put the little box in which you ask for how much GPT little above the tech you want to trade away. Then, right as you click ok, quickly move you cursor down and click the tech. Then just saw "What will you give me for this" and they give you quite a few resources ( I should think...) You have to be really quick, the trick is that the tech trade screen stays a millisecond after you click OK.

Put the little box in which you ask for how much GPT little above the tech you want to trade away. Then, right as you click ok, quickly move you cursor down and click the tech. Then just saw "What will you give me for this" and they give you quite a few resources ( I should think...) You have to be really quick, the trick is that the tech trade screen stays a millisecond after you click OK.
I gave this a try, but I wasn't able to click fast enough. Has anyone else managed to get it to work?

RJM

I haven't tried it yet but a mouse macro should do the trick.

By the way, does the AI cancel the deal after 10 turns, or is it locked in? If it's the latter then we have some really fun potential abuses. Even AIs that hate you will buy tech for gold, so probably for GPT also. If you can meet a bunch of AIs you can lock in tons of 10+ gpt deals. I'm sure you can think of the implications of having the slider at 90% in the early ADs...

I haven't tried it yet but a mouse macro should do the trick.

By the way, does the AI cancel the deal after 10 turns, or is it locked in? If it's the latter then we have some really fun potential abuses. Even AIs that hate you will buy tech for gold, so probably for GPT also. If you can meet a bunch of AIs you can lock in tons of 10+ gpt deals. I'm sure you can think of the implications of having the slider at 90% in the early ADs...

wait. will the ai ensure peace for 10 turns if you give them a :gold: gift or whatever. i thought that gpt was different. and this is also different from giving into a demand, which i think ensures at least 10 peace turns.

wait. will the ai ensure peace for 10 turns if you give them a :gold: gift or whatever. i thought that gpt was different. and this is also different from giving into a demand, which i think ensures at least 10 peace turns.

I'm pretty sure it would count as a normal trade, not a demand acceptance. However, it's buggy because the AI COULD cancel such a trade deal after 10 turns if it chooses (remember, 10 turns is also a typical delay time to cancel a normal resource trade, not just demands blocking war). I don't care about the anti-war implications (AFAIK there are none). I care about the potential to whore cheap techs to multiple AIs (or just GPT in a tech trade package) to make 50+gpt off a glitch. The latter is damned strong if it works, but it won't work if they just cancel the deal after 10 turns.

However, since it IS a glitch the AI might not be able to do it (how would it give the tech back?!), so possibly it's locked into -10 GPT forever. You could SEVERELY damage AI tech rate this way, too. Welcome to everyone elses slider being lower, world?

Seriously, if the AI doesn't cancel the deals then this is a big, big, HUGE glitch exploit, and makes the wallchopwhip exploit chump change.

interesting. so giving into a demand ensures 10 turns of peace, while anything else is a crap-shoot?

Yes. The only thing that forces peace is a demand/request, and it enforces peace on both sides. Players including myself have asked pleased AIs about to declare for 1 gold in order to buy 10 turns extra to prepare (and it tend to expel the AI units, which is comical in isolated starts like LHC). Any other trade does NOT force peace, just requests/demands.

However, any resource trade (even just open borders) needs 10 turns before it can be canceled. I just want to know if the AI will cancel such a trade in the context of this glitch.

Edit: Of course I'll try it when I get home.

I haven't been able to replicate this...just how fast does this 2nd click need to be? Should I macro my middle mouse (wheel click) to just spam 100+clicks/second and drag it down? Hmmm.

I highly doubt that one could click two clicks just a few milliseconds apart, let allone do it several times in a row like the OP user seemed to be able to do. I think this may be the result of some mod or aomething similar rather than a result of lightning fast clicking.

I think I found the key to this. Here are some deals I came up with (spoilered since this is from the immortal Bismark game)

Spoiler :

The AI accepted all of these deals. The interesting one is MM. He was my vassal, so all resources are open. He ended up giving me a boat load of resources, and I'm pretty sure I didn't even have to throw in chemistry, and he definitely would have given me everything he had. Vassals seems to be the best way to abuse this (aside from loads of gpt early.) You can direct their research so that there is a big tech that they don't have, and they will give you every resource they have for it.

The key is to put the gpt box over the tech you want, and then click and hold the button down. After that just a normal double click, no 100 clicks per second or whatever necessary. I was able to queue up a lot of trades like this, so it wasn't a fluke.

Unfortunately, this was the only save I had, and playing 10 turns would have taken close to 2 hours, so I couldn't test if they cancel the deal. Someone else should be able to assuming that holding the "OK" button is the key. It is possible that it works for me because of how slow my computer is, but I doubt it, CIV was running very well when I was testing this.

Edit: The only mod I have is BUG. 3.5 I think, not the latest one.

Might require a crappy computer
indeed. If I see a video that demonstrates how to replicate this it would be believable if it was made with BtS 3.17 with maybe BUG 3.6 and Solver's patch as that sorta is the norm.

This clicking 'super duper millisecond fast' is not very believable if you ask me, especially since it does not specify where exactly to click. I find this bug very vague and apparently dodgy, yet the OP can replicate it. Interesting...

Top Bottom