gpt from an alliance

ivory

What 's the big picture?
The Aztecs were my traditional foe, we exchanged a few blows in the ancient era. Later the Iriquous declared war on the Aztecs, and I offered an alliance because my war elephants were bored, and also because Hiawatha was willing to pay me 22 gpt for it. A few turns later, before any Aztec towns had changed ownership, he and Montezuma made peace, so I lost my 22 gpt. So now I 'm wondering:
*Did Hiawatha just take a rep hit, because he broke the alliance treaty? If so, how will this affect any future deals with him?
*Would it have been wiser to ask for a bit less because clearly the war was getting too expensive for Hiawatha?

Honestly Ivory I do not know. But Wouldn't it make more sense (for conquest) that once the deal is made it lasts for at least 20 turns like all deals befor allowed to cancel. Now this may mean no war but you should still get payed! Now strangely I never saw how the rep of a CP is broken. I treat all computers the same. When I treat him nice is my rep killed. I don't know much about my rep

Well thanks for your thoughts, Rhino. Yes when I allied with Hiaw., it said "This deal will last for 20 turns" like usual. When I went back to the table after I found out about their peace treaty, the "Active" screen did not show my 22 gpt. And while he had been polite before, he is now annoyed. Well so am I! I guess I have been too greedy, if I had allied for less, they might have kept on fighting. As things turned out, I finished the Aztecs on my own. Now it 's time to take on the unreliable Iroquois.
To find more about reputation in general, check out the excellent article AI Attitude in the Strategy Forum.

Originally posted by ivory
*Did Hiawatha just take a rep hit, because he broke the alliance treaty? If so, how will this affect any future deals with him?
AFAIK, he will certainly get a rep hit for signing peace early. This should affect his dealings with other civs. You can deal with him how you wish...

I'm not so sure about ai reputation and attitude affecting ai trading/dealing. However, it *looks like* a "ruffian" ai civ gets more likely war declarations, even if the ruffian's military was much stronger. I think of ruffian civs here that did break treaties on many occasions, not just one MA or so. And it seems to be much easier to buy an ally against such civ.

Well, its likely that you took a rep hit because the AI canceled the deal. Civ3 is strange about stuff like that. Offer someone a gpt deal and if the screen says "they would never accept that" offer it anyway and if the response is "we heard how you stuffed Hiawatha" then you are indeed stuffed yourself.

Originally posted by ltcoljt
Well, its likely that you took a rep hit because the AI canceled the deal.
No, in ivory's case, he would not take a rep hit if his ally signed peace.
If ivory signed peace, then rep would be trashed.

"Strange" outcomes may occur when you sign something like this:
peace (20)-peace(20)
MA vs X(20)-MA vs X(20)
- 1gpt(20)

.. and finish of X 3 turns later.
Or trade your lux through third/forth party territory and then these civs declare war on each other and pillage roads or such.
Then you get:

Offer someone a gpt deal and if the screen says "they would never accept that" offer it anyway and if the response is "we heard how you stuffed Hiawatha" then you are indeed stuffed yourself.

Every time afterwards my advisor reminded me Hiawatha was a cheat and a liar, but that is not necessarily the result of this alone. He also had a RoP with the Japanese but attacked them anyway.
Epilogue: I took over the Iroquois empire when Hiawatha declared war on me a little while later, and was elected head of the UN by four votes to one.

Top Bottom