GR19- Genocide AWE vs 30 civs.

Greebley

Deity
Supporter
I wanted to play the Ottomans. One of my favorites and I haven't played them recently, so I went with them.

Map: 250x250
AI: All 30 opponents
Continents
70% water
Sedintary Barbs
Emporer
Random for wet/dry, etc.

24 hours for I got it. 5-7 days to play (give a status report if going over 5) up to 10 turns.

Genocide Rules:
Our people have zero tolerance of anyone not native. This means:
1) Declare war immediately with no trades or checking diplomacy.
2) We must never have a foreign citizen in our cities.
This is different: If our city is taken we can take it back, but must immediately abandon if there is a foreign citizen No foreigners means we can keep the city
3) We do not accept cultural conversions of course.
4) Foreign workers must immediately be slaughtered. No moving them or doing anything else but disband them on the spot.
5) We can never look at diplomacy. No checking what techs they have, etc. (That implies we are talking to them). Also no checking with assist type programs (of course).
6) We cannot build the intelligence Agency Spying means living with the other civs to get the information. This we don't do.
7) We can look at F7, F8, F11 This is mostly for gameplay reasons. Not sure our civ really could figure out what wonders were built, and other things from these 3 screens, but then that is true in the real game as well. How would we know that some civ we never met built the pyramids? Or that we were 20th in pop when we know noone?
8) We are going for Conquest. All victories are turned on, so we need to avoid domination and other victory conditions.
9) We can keep captured artillery type units. For catapults, trebuckets, cannon, Artillery, etc, we are stealing the equipment and manning it ourselves.
10) We can build the Great Library. The assumption is we are taking/using the books of the enemy (but probably rewriting them so they are our own).

Some repercussions:
We have to build every worker and every settler for our cities.
We have no way to steal maps and will have to do our own exploration. We need to find islands ourselves. (unless we go for satellites again)

Roster:
Greebley
ThERat
M60A3TTS
Northern Pike
markh
Elephantium

We have room for one more if anyone wants to try this. An AWE win in an Succession Game is sufficient expertise to join.

I played the first 20 turns and posted below.

Played several starts, one to 50 turns, but we were surrounded by many civs and likely doomed (I also misplayed it at the end). I tried going straight for IW at min, but 50 turns without an attack 2 unit meant the AI could pillage with Spear and there was little we could do.

So for this one I went for Warrior Code at full.

The 3 cows is obviously very nice, but the lack of rivers is not so nice. I partly chose this one because the start was decent and we weren't in the center of the map. I don't think this variant survives well when surrounded on all sides. Amazing how many starts I got that were in the middle with no ocean in sight. BIG continents on these maps.

Builds:
Warrior, Barracks, Spear, Walls, started Settler.

Here is the picture. Not contacts yet.

got it, how many turns shall I play? 20 since there isn't that much going on?

lurker's comment: They'll need it if they want to win! Perhaps the RNG would be willing to give a Christmas Present. :xmastree:

With so few fresh-water sites visible, we'll probably want to put our third city on the same lake as the capital, a knight's move (W-NW) away from it. So we should position our second city, claiming the NW cows, with that in mind, even if it means that we won't have CxxC until we get the third city down.

Obviously this comment comes too late, but I think that sedentary barbs are a bad choice in a tough AW game. They do us no good and give the AI civs the chance to beat us to the Great Library by jumping ahead with hut techs, as apparently happened last game.

We should probably take it for granted that we'll research as far as Satellites to see the whole map. Our attempts to clear the map tile by tile last time were completely inadequate.

Agree with NP about sedentary barbs. Not only will they provide the AI a lot of goodies, they will also pull th AI towards huts that are nearby, thus getting more contacts early.

I played 20 turns, just nice before hitting WC. Nothing much happened, I got us 2 more cities, but did not heed NP's advise about the second city. I am no fan of close placements on huge maps. I placed the second town away from the mountains but in direct proximity of both cows.

We need to decide what to research next, min run on IW or going for GLib straight?

I suggest to expand towards the green patch in the west and pop the hut with a settled town. The last thing we need are barbs that attract the AI

save

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/43630/GR19_1625_BC.SAV

I played 10 without contact so went 5 more for a total of 15.

Picked up 25 gold and CB from 2 goodie huts. For the science track I opted for pottery which is due in 1. We have one settler which I would suggest move SW in order to lock in a pair of cows for a potential settler factory.

Despite pretty aggressive exploring for an AW game, not a lot of activity. You can see a lot of trees and ice to the south. Korea showed up this last turn with a scouting warrior, so I declared. Babs popped a town to the west on like my turn 13, but no contact there. So no activity in any direction other than to the west so far.

I'd love to join this game, but I'm a bit overloaded on SGs for the next month. Once Rat26 ends, I'd feel comfortable about the time commitment.

Could I reserve a spot in the roster?

Well, I'm posting about Civ at midday on Christmas, but M60 actually played a round. :eek: :lol:

I've got it, but I'll leave some time for the team to comment on our next tech choice before I play. I favour Alphabet, since we've made our decision about our early attack unit, and spending close to fifty turns getting to swordsmen when we've recently spent forty getting to archers seems impractical. Once we have Alphabet we can assess whether we need Mathematics/cats or can head straight for Writing.

Elephantium, I imagine that would be fine, although it's Greebley's call.

I don't mind Contacts. 4 civs surrounding us however could be an issue. Lastly, I lost a city on the game I tried out when a warrior beat a spear. That is what I meant about not playing well.

Our current start we may still be slightly surrounded, but there probably aren't as many civs to the south so we should be able to get our back to the walls at some point.

Rat26 is very nearly over. I doubt you or I will play again in the game. The end comes quickly when it comes.

So I will add you to the roster, and if I am wrong then simply ask for a skip or swap.

I am glad you can join us, it will be good to have a new player.

Roster:
Greebley
ThERat
M60A3TTS
Northern Pike
markh
Elephantium

lurker's comment: ooo lots of plains & cows :) thats a pretty good start now if you were agricultual :mischief:

I thought I modded my previous post. Must not have saved.

I mentioned that Alphabet seemed ok to me.

I also mentioned looking at the final picture I doubted that anyone was in fact south of us.

Roster:
Greebley
ThERat
M60A3TTS - Just Played
Northern Pike - Up
markh - On Deck
Elephantium

Agree on alphabet. With only two contacts at this stage we would seem to have some time to expand before the fighting gets serious and we need better units.

lurker's comment: Best of luck to all of you. All of that dirty yellow and white with precious little green between hurts my eyes, but I'm sure this team can handle the job. :D I'll be following.

lurker's comment:
Just a note to let you know that you have yet another lurker.

AWs are so much fun to play, since you have to be on your toes to both protect yourself and beat up on the AI. (Sigh) Reading about it just isn't the same.

lurker's comment: Grabbing a front row seat in the lurker's gallery.

Top Bottom