1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gr25 - AWD vs 30 civs on 250x250 Archipelago

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Greebley, Oct 29, 2008.

1. M60A3TTS

M60A3TTS Ex-treadhead

CA-II shows 3 civs in the IA. Looks like Greece may be in a position to pull away from the pack. They're at 40 cities and a democracy. Almost have to hope on some AI inter-warfare to get their tech pace down.

2. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Played 1.5 turn only. Will continue today -tomorrow. Anybody can explain this tacticks of Orenburg area? Can't decide abonded or leave undefended?

3. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Rat's idea was just to hold Orenburg for one turn to draw the massive Russian stacks in that direction, so you can abandon it and found a replacement on our home island now.

4. ThERat

ThERat Deity

as we cannot cope with the sheer amount of Russian units, the goal is to get them to empty their cities. Thus, we need to hold on to cities and once the enemy is too close, abandon them. Eventually Russia will crumble as they do not have that many cities left.

5. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

What about an idea to leave Orenburg empty? And take it back again and again?

Played 4 turns, got a truoble at SW. Barbarians + 2 Chinise rider+MI + German Knight make things hard to hold. Will lose 2 cities next turn.

Also, have no idea how to advance at Russia. Penisula is holding OK, but...

6. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Well, if you have no idea how to make progress in Russia, you could just play a five-turn round and hand it on to the next player.

We should have enough armies on our home island to contain the damage in the SW.

7. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I don't think advancing in Russia should be an issue. At most, we raze the cities and refoun on our Island. There should be still some space left.

8. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Amount of Russian units is so big, that they try to attack Army's barrier. Armies survives, but I am not sure how long it will take. As I understood Rat's idea is to attract them to new City, but not to waste settlers we need something that may strike. There is not much troops for that now.

Sure, SW problem will be localaized, but it takes some resourses and time.

9. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Here it is.

0 1200*AD ""*"Mcmg a bit… "
    IBT Hitties unload near Orenburg, Russia and Spain pull troops to Orenburg. Byzantia killed somebody…
    1 1210*AD ""*"Removed troops from Orenburg. Killed Barbarian Camp. "
    IBT Hitties capture Orenburg. Russia attack Armies.
    2 1220*AD ""*" Transfer troops to Russia. Take Orenburg back. "
    IBT Russia moved toward Orenburg.
    3 1230*AD ""*"Regroupe troops "
    IBT Russia moved close to Orenburg. Germany and China unload at SW.

4 1240*AD ""*" Disband Orenburg and City near Riders. "
    IBT Egypt killed Persia. Germans Burned City.
    5 1250*AD ""*" Regroupe troops to defend vs riders. "
    IBT German Knight lost
    6 1255*AD "" Killed last rider.

Attached Files:

10. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

The situation in Russia doesn't look too bad--at least, the visible Russian stacks aren't large, so I assume there was some attrition during IL's turns. With six armies now in Russia we should be able to hold our peninsula with two (three aren't necessary), send four out to attack, and eliminate the Russians fairly quickly.

We need to declare war on Egypt.

Roster:
    Greebley - Up
    Northern Pike - On Deck
    markh
    ThERat
    I.Larkin - Just Played

11. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

When all Russian troops were near Orenburg there were "infinite" number. Attempt to advance cause that our Army's was attacked.

12. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Well, we'll see what Greebley can do. ;)

13. Aggie

Aggie Deity

Hi!

It's great to see some old CFC friends still playing SG's. Good luck with this one!

14. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Hi Aggie :) It has been a while. Yep, some of us are still addicted. In a certain sense this whole recent series of these games were sparked from AG3 and the fun I had playing that.

------------

I happen to be going away this weekend. NP, why don't we swap if you have any time to play.

15. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Hey, I didn't make that confident prediction of progress in Russia thinking I'd have to make good on it myself. :lol: OK, I've got it.

16. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

17. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

1255 (1): We declare war on Egypt. Cleo has gems and nineteen cities, including the Persian core.

We smite three Greek units in Russia, losing a swordsman but gaining a Great Leader (3-1). We're at the army limit, so the Leader rushes the Pentagon in First Step (next turn).

1260 (2): We move four armies towards Vladivostok, leaving a hole in our line on the peninsula to lure Russian units.

About 150 Russian units move away from Vladivostok and towards the hole.

First Step PENTAGON --> harbour.

1265 (3): We move four armies adjacent to Vladivostok.

We strike down one Russian spearman on the peninsula (4-1).

1270 (4): We take Vladivostok, held by a pikeman and six spearmen (11-1).

We grind down nineteen Russian units on the peninsula without getting a single promotion. We lose an MDI (30-2).

We sell Vladivostok’s improvements for 85 gold, abandon it, and replace it with Ataturk on our home continent.

A Russian warrior makes a rogue attack on our armies in the ruins of Vladivostok (31-2).

Chinese frigates appear off Curovernum, so the bombardment regatta will probably begin soon.

1275 (5): We bombard and eliminate a Greek stack of three on the peninsula, gaining a Great Leader/ army (32-2).

1280 (6): We grind down a Greek stack of five on the peninsula (37-2).

One of our galleys survives the random attack of a Hittite galley (38-2).

One of our swordsmen in the southern tundra repels the attack of a barb horseman (39-2).

1285 (7): Our strike force of armies takes Novgorod, held by just three pikemen (42-2).

We unhorse a barb in the southern tundra (43-2).

We bombard and liquidate four Spanish units on the peninsula, losing an MDI (47-3).

We abandon Novgorod after selling its improvements and found Enver on our home continent.

Another Hittite galley sinks attacking our galleys (48-3).

The Greeks are building US, so they have Industrialization.

1290 (8): On the peninsula we bombard and expunge four Spanish and three Sumerian units (55-3).

A third Hittite galley fails in an attack on our galleys, but our stack will have to retreat to heal now (56-3).

Privateers sink two of our exploring galleys, as will obviously become more frequent now (56-5).

Our luck runs out in terms of the location of enemy landings, when the Spanish drop three cav on our almost undefended SE coast.

1295 (9): We abandon New Sinop, which can’t be defended from the Spanish cav, and replace it with Newer Sinop in the tundra.

We smash two barbs in the tundra (58-5).

On the peninsula we bombard and destroy seven Sumerian units, losing an MDI (65-6). We gain our third Great Leader of the round, for whom it’ll be a little difficult to find good use, since we’re three cities away from qualifying for our fourteenth army.

The three Spanish cav defeat three spearmen in Sivas, but we retain the town (65-9).

1300 (10): We’re able to break two of the Spanish cav outside Sivas and redline the third (67-9).

We take Krasnoyarsk, held by four spearmen (71-9). We can hold the town for a turn without being attacked, so I’ll do that to give the next player more options and gain a little more healing for our armies.

We bombard and exterminate three Greek and four Spanish units on the peninsula (78-9).

Fifteen elite victories this round generated three Great Leaders.

18. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

The Russians are down to four cities, although attacking one town at a time it may still take us most of the next two rounds to finish them off. Getting a useful number of galleys to the Russian/Korean crossing won’t be simple, and we’ll need to plan that well in advance, sending the largest possible stack when we do it.

The Spanish/Korean island seems large, and the Spanish stacks we can see there aren’t impressive, so once we’ve made the landing our operations there may go more easily than in Russia.

Our enemies are landing more in Russia than in our homeland, which has kept a lot of pressure off us.

I can’t see a better use for our present Leader than rushing a cathedral in Istanbul, in that ideas involving other core towns would waste a lot of accumulated shields there. But I’ve left him with his movement for the next player, in case anyone has a better concept.

We’ll complete a lot of marketplaces in the next round, which should help our finances and so our research.

We’re building some pikemen, because we’ll need a fair number to anchor our next landing.

As usual we can’t stop building settlers, and Istanbul and Bursa should return to settlers after their present builds.

19. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

The next crossing:

20. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Looks like slow but steady progress :goodjob:

Once we have gottne rid of Russia, we have more space to settle there and shift our forces towards Spain. I would rush the cathedral, it is still quite a while until we get more luxes.