1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Gran Colombia first look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by tedhebert, May 19, 2020.

1. Mediocrity

Mediocrity Warlord

Maybe because it wasn't a priority for them at all? Maybe they thought the fans would just assume these are placeholders if any noticed?

It is also worth noting (this is not so much an answer to your post as it is a separate point on this topic) that this blatant reuse of animations would be unprecedented for Civ 6. Not only that, but given the level of pride that Firaxis seems to have in their animated leaders, this would be a little odd.

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  2. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

I may be wrong in regards to the passive effects, according to the FXS news release it does look like Comandante Generals will have unique active/retire AND passive effects
    • The Comandante General is a Great General with unique abilities, including Passive and Retire effects.

3. Casworon

Casworon Prince

DWilson likes this.
  4. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

I have to say... I would completely forgive them if Simon reused Amanitore and LSS reused Pedro

5. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Hawke9 likes this.
  6. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Warlord

The people who say they do just like pointing that out as if it they discover something useful, which probably will not stop them from purchasing and be totally forgotten about 10 minutes into the game.

7. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Polynesia was popular in Civ V. They wanted to do the same thing in Civ VI, and did it well. They decided to name it after a specific Polynesian society rather than have a 'Polynesian blob' and chose a recognisable leader associated with the largest Polynesian group (plus New Zealand probably has more Civ players than Tonga). I agree it wasn't a great choice, but I understand why they did it and I'm happy thinking of the Civ as a Polynesia stand-in rather than a civ attempting to accurately portray the Maori. I'd rather have a civ representing this playstyle than not even if the civ overall seems a bit underwhelming.

Also, it's not as though the Maori didn't use boats - they regularly sailed around the coast of New Zealand.

Guandao likes this.
  8. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Prince

Simon and Alexander bros4lyfe.

Guandao and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  9. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

I don't think limiting the movement bonus to your home continent would make a big difference in terms of power, unless you happen to spawn near a continent boundary. The overwheming majority of your early game combat and civilian unit movement occur on your home continent, and because of the game's snowballing nature, this is when the movement will matter by far the most. On many maps you can expand as much as anyone else and conquer an entire opposing civilization without leaving your home continent, which should be plenty to secure victory. Losing your movement bonus once you move on to other continents might reduce the speed at which you're able to mop up the remaining opposition, but it's unlikely to change the actual outcome.

Casworon likes this.
  10. Larsen

Larsen Chieftain

Well, it all depends on one's perspective of the game and what counts as "power." In my mind, a civ that promises to always do pretty well is a very powerful civ. Colombia's unique building means every city will have great production. That's a cornerstone of mid- and lategame power. I suppose that can be called linear design, but whatever.

Korea is widely considered one of the strongest civs in the game even though their campuses are more or less capped at +4 science while anyone else could get +6 or more with the right kind of land. But Korea gets a guaranteed +4 in every city. Colombia looks like the Korea of domination civs: the design simply hands you a huge pile of power in every game. Not when you have this and that type of land, not when you can get this and that wonder, but every time. Hacienda triangles will ensure that all of your cities will be excellent, +1 movement will bolster your tempo immensely, and the UU's +4 strength for every adjacent whatever-they're-called is crazy strong. It'll be trivial to get at least +12 strength. That's nothing short of insane. And cavalry a replacement lasts a long time because the next upgrade is the friggin' helicopter.

As for the Mayans, I think people are largely ignoring the fact that every city requires a builder immediately in order to really function, and you can only realistically settle in places with farmland, so any area that doesn't have farmable tiles is literally off-limits. It's like nobody acknowledges that at all, or the extreme disadvantage this places on the civ for its tempo throughout the early- and midgame. People are aware that a city with 2 housing has -50% growth even at 1 pop, right? That and the fact that their campus lacks adjacency for mountains, fissures and reefs, like Korea, without getting any guaranteed bonuses in return for that malus. How often can you even expect a single plantation in each city? But enough of that derail, sorry.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  11. kryat

kryat King

I wonder if they chose not to go with a “liberation” focus because the liberation CB is less about throwing off colonial overlords and more about reclaiming your neighbors’ conquered territory. There’s some similarities, but he reminds me more of Washington (colonists liberating themselves) than of Eisenhower (traveling to liberate someone else who has been invaded).

King William I likes this.
  12. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Warlord

Yup, I would definitely bank on your maybe's and wish upon a shooting star that one day they replace the supposedly "placeholding" animations. It's great that they can suddenly prioritize it after more than a year of development without doing so, isn't it?

13. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

Wow, this civ looks very powerful! Of the two, I'm more looking forward to trying them out.

14. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Prince

I think it's just Civ 6' version of Civ 5 Khans

15. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Has anyone asked Ed what Bolivar's agenda is? I bet it's "El Libertador".

The Gran Colombia civ design runs mixed for me. The domination skew is a bit too much, and I was expecting more diplomatic-related bonuses for Gran Colombia given Bolivar's reputation (that said, I guess levying units, liberation bonuses, and diplomatic favor bonuses are arguably covered already, even if not in all dimensions). I don't think the llanero is overpowered since it comes so late in the game, either.

That said, I'm happy to see Bolivar and Gran Colombia in Civ! May it not be the last time. Gran Colombia is one of the few postcolonial civs I welcome in Civ. :)

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  16. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

Agree, and if they want to keep this aesthetic, I’d hope they’d use Tonga instead in future iterations

Maybe, but also because that CB is uncommon and an ability based on it would be situational, although I do agree that it would’ve been appropriate

Just a more general statement: Colombia gets Mongolia’s Ordu bonus without any infrastructure. It’s insane how powercrept Colombia is. I wonder what they’ll do to Mongolia to rectify this.

it’s carabobo

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2020
    Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  17. Mediocrity

Mediocrity Warlord

Aren't you doing the same thing by assuming that what I mentioned ISN'T the case? I suppose we're just running in circles at this point.

Also, you seem to not understand the definition of "prioritize" :p

If they prioritized the idle animations the least, it only makes sense that they would be done last.

DWilson and Thenewwwguy like this.
  18. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

19. Leucarum

Leucarum King

I wonder if Carabobo is based on average promotion level or total number of highly promoted units.

The former would probably favour civs who only built a small number of units in the first place...

20. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Haven't read the whole thread yet but my initial reaction is OMGWTFBBQSAUCE! The +1 movement to all units is insane. Just for siege units, having +3 movement means they can move and attack the same turn without the promotion which is HUGE when trying to take a walled city. The +1 movement is why great generals are so good, but now Gran Colombia gets that baseline. But also for range units, being able to move into a hill or forest then shoot will help them immensely for defensive purposes. Builders that can move and build an improvement on hill/forest in 1 turn. Scouts that can move on two hill tiles without improvements...

The list just goes on and on.

Sostratus likes this.