1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Gran Colombia first look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by tedhebert, May 19, 2020.

1. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite King

Is this also reflects historical fact that each Comm.Gen had ideology tagged with .? Anti-Catholic or practitioner of Enlightenment Phillosophy (which much of these are disdainful towards Religion, particularly Roman Catholic Church got most hit by many Englightenment Wise Guys particualrly those living in France). Or did they already created their own 'National Catholic Church' that disregards Spanish ones?

2. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

i think they’re referring to the person who went ballistic whenever their point was counterpointed by you or me or anyone else lol

3. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

It's not quite my playstyle, but I will play Gran Colombia at least.....once......

Looking forward to clashes with AI Bolivar!

Xandinho likes this.
  4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

You just wouldn't know that because it dominates like 50 pages of discussion

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  5. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

My genuine apologies, I did not mean to come across as toxic.

In my opinion, and assertion of your post, you were being toxic by dismissing something as “trash” because it didn’t fit into your sphere of how you play the game.

This was backed up, in my mind, when you were praising the GC UI as being great for flat land while dismissing the Mayans despite their flatland bonus coming online *significantly* earlier.

I was disagreeing with you because I had fundamental challenges with what you were saying, I promise it was not just to be contrarian.

And really, all we can do here is give our own opinions based on our own judgements and values, so I do apologise if I came across as toxic to you, even if I completely disagree with you.

Atlas627 and DWilson like this.
  6. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Home continent would still be strong and be a bit more consistent with the civ. I think that is a great adjustment.

7. Caprikel

Caprikel Warlord

North Carolina, but secretly a Minnesotan
    I'd rather have them add a malus to keep the strong ability but still maintain some kind of balance. Ideally the malus would also change the way they play in an interesting way.

conorbebe, Atlas627 and Thenewwwguy like this.
  8. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

Not particularly.

If you are the Mayans, maybe they would not be much of a threat. Their early archer would tear them up in the early game.

While his movement is insane yes, in the hands of the AI, that does not mean he will wipe you out as if I were playing him against you. You likely need to treat him the same as you would if Shaka, Alexander, Mongolia, Chandy, Nubia, Egypt, or Persia is your neighbor.

Either wipe them out or take their capital ASAP.
    or
    Build troops early for a defense while building settlers and getting expands out ASAP.

The second way is harder arguably. It's hard to spare production to build troops and the maintenance costs, and get enough settlers out so you can get enough cities down (like 7-ish) by turn 75 or so.

The first way, while tough as well, means you need a fast 3 cities to make a pain train to take at least most if not all his cities BEFORE he techs up and taking his capital or wiping him out is too hard because you do not have enough tech to keep up the assault. If you end up only taking a couple of his cities and his capital is left, you might have loyalty hell to deal with, you will never be friends, and a second war is inevitable.

Looking at his agenda, if you can get him to like you if you get 2 or 3 promotions on units fighting barbs, MAYBE you can get him to declare friendship. Before that, give him your luxury as a gift to get a positive modifier, and maybe consider sending your first trade route to him. That might enable him to receive a delegation if he refused before. Once he does that, you can befriend him most likely.

9. Josephias

Josephias King

I think this balances a bit the power of the LUA - not only because the "stronger" habilities are 1-use only and consume the general, but also because it makes the ability in part situational/RNG dependant. If you have a peaceful start, you may want Nariño first, but you may get Paez. Or the other way around. Each eara you may want to adjust a bit your strategy to make the most of the General that comes to you.
    I think as well it is a nice nod to the fact Bolivar was just the "prime over pars" of other libertadores. (But also could have been a nice unique for Alexander, I agree)

I'd make a diferent proposal to delay the moment it kicks out, but maybe make it more useful later:

Ejercito Patriota
    +1 Movement to All Units when at war with a civilization of a different continent.

This would delay a bit the moment you can start the use of the ability (maybe not too much if you happen to start in a continent border, but nevertheless), and force you to keep balance between using the ability and gaining warmongering / war weariness. It would fit as well the "libertador" theme. I think the extra movement fits well Bolivar tactics and the superiority that helped it liberate Gran Colombia, but I agree the flat bonus seems too much.

Actually, it could make sense to use the french name because liberation movements in America were very inspired by the French Revolution... For me, it's just funny to hear Sarah struggling to pronounce all the Spanish words used for the uniques.

That got me a laugh also. Maybe an important victory, but also can be read as "dumbface" in Spanish :crazyeye:

AntSou and Thenewwwguy like this.
  10. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

UNIQUE IMPROVEMENT - HACIENDA
    The Hacienda provides Production, Gold and Housing bonuses, and a Food bonus for each adjacent Plantation. Haciendas and Plantations also receive Production bonuses for adjacent Haciendas.

sth nearly as strong as Mekewap ?

I am not excited about Maya, but hacienda makes me wanna play GranColombia!

11. Leucarum

Leucarum King

All very true. It probably doesn't just relate to colonial civs but also less well known ancient ones. Though with the colonial civs, a lot of the most famous leaders are independence leaders, and there's only so much mechanical space available for that... That may have made it harder to communicate the feeling the community expected from Bolivar without turning him into Lautaro version 2. Because he is well known for sure!

Personally, I definitely don't think the civ is bad. The +1 movement is amazing and opens up a lot of options even without anything else on the chassis. I'm just lukewarm towards the rest of the civ abilities.

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  12. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

Unless the mayans get buffed I can’t see them being useable on Deity without a great start. Let alone against GC which already seems like one of the strongest civs in the game.

13. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Prince

I'm on the team: "buff everyone, don't nerf". Nerfing often go with blandness, while buffing is often "adding some stuff on the top", the stuff added could be used to make something very interesting.

Atlas627 and TheSpaceCowboy like this.
  14. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

Mekewap appears three eras earlier though

tedhebert likes this.
  15. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

GC is def strong, but anyone with an early UU (esp ranged) are always tough to knock out. And with the Maya having cheap Sci, they can potentially slingshot techwise while holding a strong D. And it doesn't matter have fast your swordman is when hes looking down the barrel of a tank.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  16. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

yeah, but in 8/9 cases that observatory is going to be worse than a decently placed campus.

17. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

The power levels come at different places though. GC seems to really starts to peak at mid game, so there’s nothing he has in Ancient and Classical that is going to get through those Javellins, aside from the movement. So he would have to strike fast and early while she is establishing her capital

18. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

A lot of people on these forums think there's a really good chance the new leader that's being added later on for a current civ is going to Mongolia. I think they'll bounce back just fine.

19. Baddo

Baddo Chieftain

That movespeed bonus is too much
    The snowball potential is unreal here, 3 move warrior, 4 move scout
    First meet citystates, get dibs on goodie huts
    Fast settlers, fast builders
    This civ is not just good at domination, it's good at literally everything because it can snowball so much

MrRadar likes this.
  20. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

This absolutely cannot be true. A decently placed campus requests three mountains, six jungle, reefs or geothermal and the combination of those are significantly rarer than a plantation and a farm