1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Gran Colombia first look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by tedhebert, May 19, 2020.

1. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I recall in Civ V there was actually a hard condition that prevented you from moving and shooting in the same turn, but in Civ VI there is no such restriction. Which you should probably have noticed if you'd ever used a siege unit in conjunction with a road or Great General.

Duuk likes this.
  2. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Sweet Lord Baby Jesus what a massive conquering civ.

3. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

upload_2020-5-19_23-16-44.png

I don't know what the base movement of Llanero is, in the picture above combined with a commandante it was 10. In other parts of the FL we could see it's movement as 8. So possibly it's base movement is 7 +1 movement from UA, +1 from commandante and +1 from either logistics card or a normal great general (I would assume this would not stack with a commandante bonus, but we don't know yet).

The first commandante is obtained as early as in classical age (at least no restrictions were mentioned to think otherwise). So GC can have catapults with 4 movement or later on siege units with 5 movements when logistics is unlocked and used. And if great general stacks with a commandante it would be even more insane with 6 movements for siege units, ranged or (unpromoted) melee infantry.

Though I read somewhere here on the forum that the passive abilities of the commandantes were also unique, so probably not every one of this unit may have the movement bonus for units. But if it does and a great general passive also stacks, then you cannot convince me that this combination is NOT OVERPOWERED.

4. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

According to Sarah the audio for the First Look was recorded even before the quarantine. I made a whole scene in my head. It goes something like this:

Ed Beach - "Cr*p. They really are OP."

Ed's Minion - "So, what now? We've already recorded the audio. Even if we change the ability we can't bring Sarah to the studio to record a new First Look."

Ed - "Screw it, we'll do it live."

Minion - "Bu..."

Ed -
    Spoiler :

So they release it as it is because they can't alter the First Look and then fix it in June. :D

5. Nerevatar

Nerevatar Chieftain

Apples to oranges, in my opinion. Why are those features a cut corner in your opinion? Personally I think those features are fine. Could they be improved? Sure, but anything sub-perfect is not a cut corner.

6. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

People always seem to overreact before a video game/card game is released. This is busted/OP/broken!!! This sucks/is underpowered/what were they thinking???

Wait until this has been released and people have played it for a month. Then make a more informed decision.

7. Icicle

Icicle Prince

But you see we have played with most of this before.

I have played with Logistics. I can easily infer how powerful having it for the entire game would be.

I have played with Outback Stations. I know how good spammable production is.

I have played with Modern Armor. I can infer what having them three ages early can do.

Sure the great general uu may have some additional bonuses that we didn't get details of, but that won't make this civ any less powerful.

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  8. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Prince

I kind of disagree with it taking away Mongolia's thing. By that measure, you could argue that Mongolia's damage buff takes away from the Aztec's damage-via-luxury. That's not an argument I would make, but that's sort of my point.

King William I and Thormodr like this.
  9. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Prince

I’ve read a lot the comments here and I’d like to put my two cents worth.

I think part of the reason for the design of Gran Columbia is to attract new entrants into the Civ franchise - having an easy domination civ allows for the first time player to get into Civ and enjoy it.

I appreciate that for veteran/hardcore Civ players, Gran Colombia is seen as uninteresting; but from a business perspective it makes total sense. Firaxis’ goal is to increase sales and ultimately profit; and so some Civ designs are geared toward this goal, which you can’t really blame them for.

In addition they’ve probably identified a need to appeal to the South American market and who better than to have Simón Bolívar as a leader for that purpose.

Inawordyes, Kjimmet, Xandinho and 2 others like this.
  10. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

as a veteran player, i don’t think it’s boring, i don’t think bolivar or gran colombia is a poor choice, and i don’t think that it’s a civ exclusively aimed at making Firaxis money.

I do think that Gran Colombia is very very powerful and may be overkill, even if they’re meant to be a beginner-friendly domination civ like the Ottomans, Persia, Sumer or Chandragupta

Deggial likes this.
  11. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

I just figured something else was broken when it did happen. There's a flag that those units have in the code, so I assume it must mean "firing requires you to have your max moves available" but they actually had it check max moves before modifiers instead of after.

12. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Yeah, I agree with that. In fact, I really don't care much about any animations at all. I play the game for the fun of exploring and planning and building, not watching silly leader movies.* But maybe I'm in a minority.

* [EDIT] Except for Kristina. She's the only one I don't immediately escape out of. :)

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Icicle and pokiehl like this.
  13. jaget80

jaget80 Chieftain

Looks really strong in the hands of a player. Haciendas feels almost OP with the gold AND housing bonus.

14. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

i like the leader animations but recycled idles isn’t a huge deal and that’s only if they don’t replace them later—in which case I would be happy, but still wouldn’t really care

Mediocrity likes this.
  15. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Indeed. They made an overpowered Korea for an market that is hypernationalistic.

Colombia is on the rise, as is Ecuador and Panama. A big potential market for FX.

They definitely took that into consideration when designing this civ.

Definitely wasn't going to be on the power level of Canada (an established market), for example.

riddleofsteel likes this.
  16. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Canada felt like a civ they had to design, but didn't necessarily want to. This feels like a civ they wanted to design, and maybe got a bit carried away.

Inawordyes, CPWimmer, Duuk and 8 others like this.
  17. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

lmao i love how the automatic assumption for why Korea is op is because the market is apparently *hypernationalistic*

So is the US but they didn’t make the US broken.

It was just poor planning. Hanlon’s razor

Atlas627 likes this.
  18. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

To balance them out, the comandantes should flip one of your cities to a Free City when you retire them :lol:.

I’m looking at you, Páez.

19. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Prince

@Cagarustus hit the nail on the head. A certain percent of players will not buy dlc without a civ like zero-hour Gran Columbia. For me the content that applies to all the civs will be what determines how much I enjoy this first dlc.

Having said that, could someone explain how this is representative of the civ? My knowledge of the time and culture is limited to listening to the Revolutions podcast.

Meluhhan likes this.
  20. Icicle

Icicle Prince

I know you meant this as a joke but that would actually be a very interesting feature.

Zaarin and Thormodr like this.