1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Gran Colombia first look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by tedhebert, May 19, 2020.

1. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

that’s not a drawback. Macedon, Sumer, Persia, Ottomans are amazing civs. One-dimensional dom civs are nearly always the best

Meluhhan and nzcamel like this.
  2. Equilin

Equilin King

as someone who used cyrus surprise war bonus to move settlers and builders around, that permanent +1 is huge.

Hawke9, nzcamel, AvianBritish and 3 others like this.
  3. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

I think the Hacienda comes too late to be truly overpowered though.

By Mercantilism, your main power core is fairly well established. And given that its used to build up cities and not towards an established win, I think the bonuses they have are quite balanced.

+1 movement to ALL units from turn ONE on the other hand....

4. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

I would say it's cocaine :D

5. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

The same way we deal with other aggressive civs with high mobility, like Mongolia.

Build warriors/spearmen to block them and ZOC their movements, and attempt to push them back from your city. While doing that, try to get an few archers to shoot from the back. Put an archer inside the city and get garrison promotion as it's first promotion. Key is to prevent them from encircling your city and trapping you.

When you start a new game and see them as a neighbor, build extra warriors and slingers as an insurance policy, unless you can get him to declare friendship early.

I think you meant "Bolivian Marching Powder".

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2020
  6. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

Strongest, as opposed to best I would say.

Korea and Macedon are my least two favourite Civs, in that order. I don’t care for their design, find them bland but also recognise how strong they are

Whereas my favourite Civs are Phoenicia and Indonesia because I really appreciate how everything in their kit interlocks with the base game in interesting ways (to me). So they are “best” to me, but certainly not the strongest

blackcatatonic likes this.
  7. XX36789

XX36789 Chieftain

The haciendas look aweome, will be fun using them to draw giant patterns across all the cities I 'liberate'.

AvianBritish and Thormodr like this.
  8. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Gran Colombia es muy bueno!

+1 movement = Speedy Gonzalez... errr Speedy Bolivarez. :p

They are going to be fun, fun, fun to play. :)

9. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

that’s what i meant, strongest

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Commandante Generals have additional passive bonuses, and I think they're random, so this may either be an additional combat bonus for this particular Commandante, or else a glitch.

11. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

So with the extra movement point all siege units like catapults can move and shoot on same turn? That's a significant "hidden" bonus.

12. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

My overall thoughts on Gran Colombia (see here) most of their good bonuses are tempered with them coming quite late, but that moment bonus might transcend all

13. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Gran Colombia really isn't that One-Dimensional. +1 movement doesn't benefit only domination. Faster exploration is huge for diplomatic. Movement is arguably the most important thing in a religious victory. Scientific (and any victory) can benefit from getting tiles improved faster. Even Cultural can benefit, with faster Archaeologists and Rock Bands. That plus the Hacienda, despite coming up quite late, and some great general abilities that aren't military (+1 trade route) makes Gran Colombia a flexible Civ that can do well in any victory, even peacefully. Gran Colombia is ridiculous for domination and quite strong in other victories.

14. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

Hmm... Hmm... Of course. This is exactly what I meant

15. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

WOW!
    When I was watching the first look, I was like "Wait, there is even more?"

But it's actually a bit sad:
    - Greek's Hoplite? LLanero does it too, but with a better unit.
    - Australia's outback station? Hacienda does it too, but better. (OK, not on desert tiles, though. It all depends on when it unlocks, I guess. Late UIs may very well be a bit OP to be worthwhile, in my opinion. after all, many suitable spots will already be taken by earlier improvements.)
    - Amonitore's Pitati Archers and Cyrus' leader bonus? Gran Colombia's UA grants this all the time (less movement, but without war declaration / time limit) and for all units.

And if this wouldn't have been enough, the is the UU - the even Greater General. At least, he isn't such a concern for me, because new eras are limited and the special ability will consume the general.

Anyways, can we have a day one balance pass, please? The LLaneros' extra healing can easily be dropped, imo.

This, or we need a new tier above S for 'Gran Colombia' to live in. "XXXS", maybe?

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  16. Datian

Datian Warlord

The +1 movement for civilian units and the hacienda made me think that it could be a nice builder civ too, but since the hacienda comes quite late... nope, warmongering it will be.

17. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

The Civ abilities feel too passive. They require no input from the player. The +1 movement applies at all times and the Comandante spawns at specific moments in the game. It asks for and requires no actual input from the player. Most Civs have IFs attached to their abilities, which make the whole difference:

America: +5 Strength if in Capital's continent.
    Arabia: +1 Science per foreign City following your Religion. (The auto Prophet doesn't require player input, but it is a fun unique ability)
    Australia: +3 Housing if on coast. Culture Bomb if on Pasture. High Adjancency if District on Charming/Breathtaking tile.
    Aztec: Complete 20% of District if Builder charge used.
    Brazil: Bonus yield if adjacent to Rainforest.
    Canada: 100% Diplo Favor if Emergency successfully completed. Extra Favor from Tourism. (The Surprise War element is completely passive, but that's fine since the remaining abilities aren't).

That's just the first ones in alphabetical order. Most Civs are like this. Gran Colombia isn't. The extent of the player's input in regards to the unique abilities end at the Civ selection screen.

The different Comandante abilities, Hacienda and the Unique Unit are good. The Llanero isn't OP because it's a max +12 Strength and Light Cavalry have counter-able shortcomings.

Kimiimaro, Atlas627, Bonci and 6 others like this.
  18. Spaceturtle

Spaceturtle Chieftain

I agree that the animations are most likely placeholders (even if the content releases in a couple of days, the videos could have been edited days ago and/or with old assets). I also agree that is not the biggest deal, is not something to write Firaxis angry emails about...

But also, if those animations are final (again, I don't think so) is not nothing either. I mean, this is a $40 DLC pack, Firaxis is a big developer full of talented artists, and Civ is their flagship franchise. A high standard of production values is expected, and it would be disappointing if they are cutting corners this way.

Meluhhan, Buthera, snakeboy and 7 others like this.
  19. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

Good point. Sometimes depending upon who rolled onto your map (standard size of course), sweeping all the civs for the domination victory may take longer up into Atomic Era. Sometimes war with Mongolia and Incas takes forever because they are rotten dirty cheaters with too many units. The diplomacy in Civ6 isnt good enough to stop Bolivar from rolling everyone at once. In fact, I bet I could use him as my first game and see if I can sweep the map before modern era.

20. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

okay, I need to get to sleep, hopefully this means that they will release some more information about the first pack whilst I am out.