Gran Colombia or Argentina

Would you like a blob Spanish American Civ in a future expansion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

untitledjuan

Warlord
Some people have argued about having a future Gran Colombia or Argentina civilisation in Civ VI, for various reasons.

Maybe some blob Civ such as the Celts or CIV IV Native Americans are not liked by a lot of people, I think that a blob Spanish American Civilisation could leave everyone happy as of choosing between Gran Colombia or Argentina.

Considering that Brazil has already been included, and that Civs are going to have multiple leaders, we could have a Gran Colombian leader, Simón Bolívar (which has been asked by many fans and currently is a great general in Civ VI) and an Argentinian leader, possible Jose de San Martín (which appeared in Civ IV Colonization) for this civ.

The capital of Simón Bolívar would be Bogotá (city-state in Civ V) and the capital of Jose de San Martín would be Buenos Aires (city-state in Civ V and VI), efectively representing both nations, as well as all of Spanish America by incluiding cities from past and present Spanish American territories.

Adding this Civ, plus the already included Brazil and Aztecs, as well as a future Inca and Maya, would completely cover the Central and South America, as well as giving some leaders and?or nations that some fans have requested.

What do you think of having this kind of Civ? What abilities could each leader and the whole civ have?

The city list could be something like this:

For Simón Bolívar:
Bogota
Caracas
Quito
Buenos Aires
Santiago
Cordoba
Mexico City (not buildable if Aztecs are playing)
Lima
Los Angeles (not buildable if America is playing)
Medellin
Guayaquil
Cali
Rosario
Montevideo
Mendoza
Guadalajara
Santa Cruz de la Sierra
San Francisco (not buildable if America is playing)
Maracaibo
Panama City (city-State in Civ V)
Valencia (not buildable is Spain is playing)
Asuncion
Tucuman
La Plata
Monterrey
Trujillo
San Diego (not buildable if America is playing)
Barranquilla
Barquisimeto
Cartagena
Valparaiso
Concepcion
Mar del Plata
Puebla
Arequipa (not buildable if Inca is playing)
San Antonio (not buildable if America is Playing)
Maracay
Cucuta
Ibague
Salta
Santa Fe
Havana
Santo Domingo
El Alto
Chiclayo
Albuquerque (not buildable is America is playing)
El Paso
Bucaramanga
Villavicencio
Ciudad del Este
Antofagasta

For Jose de San Martín:
Buenos Aires
Santiago
Cordoba
Bogota
Caracas
Quito
Lima
Rosario
Montevideo
Mendoza
Medellin
Guayaquil
Cali
Guadalajara
Santa Cruz de la Sierra
Asuncion
Tucuman
La Plata
Maracaibo
Monterrey
Trujillo
Valparaiso
Concepcion
Mar del Plata
Barranquilla
Barquisimeto
Cartagena
Puebla
Salta
Santa Fe
Havana
Maracay
Cucuta
Ibague
Santo Domingo
El Alto
Chiclayo
El Paso
Ciudad del Este
Antofagasta
Bucaramanga
Villavicencio

When did Bolivar name cities San Francisco, etc?

But I think Bolivar and Gran Colombia would be excellent additions to Civ. Gran Colombia had a long-lasting influence in South American countries, even if the entity itself was short-lived.

I agree - so many countries could claim Bolivar (and rightly so) that Gran Colombia makes sense as a so-called 'blob civ'. It also helps that the modern countries in the areas that a Gran Colombia would cover all speak the same language and have many shared cultural elements.

I'm always fine with more Civs but to me they'd need to address some other areas first (Inca!!!). In like the second expansion I think they'd be fine though. Simon Bolivar for Gran Colombia and Eva Peron for Argentina would be very interesting even if neither were ever really world powers

Neither, I would like Mexico in civ.

As for the idea of turning Latin America into a blob civ, I think it's a terrible idea, and would backfire if you wanted to tap into that market, it's a safer choice to go for 1 spanish post colonial and make it justice, you'd get the latin american market anyway.

Also, what's with all those exceptions to the city list?

I think it's better to have a blog civ, given how unlikely it is for us to see Argentina/Colombia/Paraguay/etc as separate civs in Civ VI. Incas first before Gran Colombia makes sense. But I'll also point out they've had blob civs in Civ before ("Native Americans", Holy Roman Empire, and technically the Iroquois was a blob civ as it represented the Iroquois Confederacy, which was comprised of multiple tribes, and many leaders in Civ VI had territory spanning multiple countries--Phillip II is notably king of Spain AND Portugal as he says in his intro, which might make it odd when you play as Portugal in a game with him, but anyhow).

Definitely not. I don't like the colonial nations as 'civilizations' anyway, but just lumping a bunch of nations together in an undifferentiated mass is rather nasty.

I think it's better to have a blog civ, given how unlikely it is for us to see Argentina/Colombia/Paraguay/etc as separate civs in Civ VI. Incas first before Gran Colombia makes sense. But I'll also point out they've had blob civs in Civ before ("Native Americans", Holy Roman Empire, and technically the Iroquois was a blob civ as it represented the Iroquois Confederacy, which was comprised of multiple tribes, and many leaders in Civ VI had territory spanning multiple countries--Phillip II is notably king of Spain AND Portugal as he says in his intro, which might make it odd when you play as Portugal in a game with him, but anyhow).

I'll say the only latin american "blob" civ that would make sense is Gran Colombia, due to it actually encompasing Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador. But having a "latin american civ" led by Bolivar founding Guadalajara, San Fransisco and Buenos Aires is a diferent story, I can garantee it would backfire.

Gran Colombia would be a great blob civ for northern south america but including mexico is silly. I dont want "Gran Colombia" or "Argentina". I want them both

they'd need to address some other areas first (Inca!!!)

wish we had a downvote button

A failed dream of a country that existed for less than 15 years before imploding... i mean there aren't a lot of choices for latin/south american civs but i'm not a fan of the idea. :dunno:

On one side, I think Gran Colombia and Argentina make sense as "blob" civs encompassing as well small neighbour states (tough you will need to be prepared for polemics if you add some Uruguayan/Paraguayan/Colonial Chilean city names in Argentina's city list, it could make certain sense).

But I'm not positive on uniting these two "blobs" into a bigger one. As far as I can appreciate, and altough I'm not really checking the facts, I think there are significative differences between the "caribean" Gran Colombia blob, and the "south cone" Argentina blob, and that these are enough to separate them in two blocks, as well as having Mexico and hispanic-relevant cities in USA as a different blob, should you want to consider them. (And to this three blocks, you could add a fourth Cuba-Antillean block, that I'm checking, for some reason, you have not included in your city list).

Therefore, I think making blobs for some of these cases makes sense (as well as for other countries/nations/peoples around the world), but there is a limit where the blob becomes a jack-of-all-trades sack wich makes no sense. And adding all Spanish-American colonies in a signle blob is one of these cases.

Some people have argued about having a future Gran Colombia or Argentina civilisation in Civ VI, for various reasons.

Maybe some blob Civ such as the Celts or CIV IV Native Americans are not liked by a lot of people, I think that a blob Spanish American Civilisation could leave everyone happy as of choosing between Gran Colombia or Argentina.

Considering that Brazil has already been included, and that Civs are going to have multiple leaders, we could have a Gran Colombian leader, Simón Bolívar (which has been asked by many fans and currently is a great general in Civ VI) and an Argentinian leader, possible Jose de San Martín (which appeared in Civ IV Colonization) for this civ.

The capital of Simón Bolívar would be Bogotá (city-state in Civ V) and the capital of Jose de San Martín would be Buenos Aires (city-state in Civ V and VI), efectively representing both nations, as well as all of Spanish America by incluiding cities from past and present Spanish American territories.

Adding this Civ, plus the already included Brazil and Aztecs, as well as a future Inca and Maya, would completely cover the Central and South America, as well as giving some leaders and?or nations that some fans have requested.

What do you think of having this kind of Civ? What abilities could each leader and the whole civ have?

The city list could be something like this:

For Simón Bolívar:
Bogota
Caracas
Quito
Buenos Aires
Santiago
Cordoba
Lima
Medellin
Guayaquil
Cali
Rosario
Montevideo
Mendoza
Guadalajara
Santa Cruz de la Sierra
Maracaibo
Asuncion
Tucuman
La Plata
Monterrey
Trujillo
Barranquilla
Barquisimeto
Cartagena
Valparaiso
Concepcion
Mar del Plata
Puebla
Maracay
Cucuta
Ibague
Salta
Santa Fe
Havana
Santo Domingo
El Alto
Chiclayo
El Paso
Bucaramanga
Villavicencio
Ciudad del Este
Antofagasta

For Jose de San Martín:
Buenos Aires
Santiago
Cordoba
Bogota
Caracas
Quito
Lima
Rosario
Montevideo
Mendoza
Medellin
Guayaquil
Cali
Guadalajara
Santa Cruz de la Sierra
Asuncion
Tucuman
La Plata
Maracaibo
Monterrey
Trujillo
Valparaiso
Concepcion
Mar del Plata
Barranquilla
Barquisimeto
Cartagena
Puebla
Salta
Santa Fe
Havana
Maracay
Cucuta
Ibague
Santo Domingo
El Alto
Chiclayo
El Paso
Ciudad del Este
Antofagasta
Bucaramanga
Villavicencio

They could also include unique improvement the Hacienda or something like that

I am always an advocate for Gran Columbia. But today I wish some more Gorgo-like Spanish American Civ so I say: Francisco Solano López for Paraguay. He is the only one who tried to conquer the whole South(?) America.

I would much rather have separate civs than a blob, though considering how there has been blobs even in 5 it's probably not out of the question for 6

Top Bottom