que no hay en la vida nada....because there is nothing
como la pena de ser..............like the pity of being
ciego en Granada ".............. blind in Granada"

Game parameters:
Patch: 1.09
Difficulty: Very Hard
AI Aggression: Normal

Prelude

Even years after i bought it, I am still unfamiliar with EU2. This is because i had set my mind to play with Granada from the beginning. Not the most painless way to learn the game, to be sure. I can't remember how many times i gave up in frustration. After having had some success last year, i decided to start again, at a higher difficulty and keep some notes of my actions.

Diplomacy with Granada's northern neighbours would have to be conducted by swordpoint.

The opening sequence for Granada is pretty straightforward. Castille and possibly Portugal will declare war almost immediately. Needless to say, Granada is badly outmatched....

Fight for survival
Participants:
Granada vs Castille
Fez vs Castille, Portugal
Algiers vs Castille, Portugal

I took a loan straight away and began building reinforcements. Many more loans would follow, but these were problems to be tackled later. Castille declared four days into the game and headed towards Granada with the entire army. If i took the battle, i would risk it all. A defeat would mean losing the war and the game. So i moved to Murcia. Granada would hold for a while and i wanted attrition to eat away Castille's troops.

Once in Murcia, i left a part of the army to siege the province and headed for Toledo. Meanwhile Castille slaughtered the reinforcements i had produced in Granada.

No matter, some made it to Gibraltar and it is not like i paid for them with my own money...
The new recruits from Gibraltar and the survivors from Granada headed fr Andalusia. Now the Castillian army was surrounded itself. Some months passed until the Castillian commander lost his nerve.

He left only a bare bones siege force behind and attacked Toledo. Perfect. From all available provinces, this one was the easiest to defend.
I lifted the sieges in Murcia and Andalusia and summoned all armies to Toledo.

Battle raged and Granada prevailed over attrition ridden Castille. Now they were out of steam and Granada could continue the sieges almost undisturbed.

The first peace offer arrived.:

The various bodyparts of the messenger were catapulted back into Castillian territory by a battery of trebuchets.

In November 1420 the bill for the reckless spending spree was presented. Granada had to proclaim bankruptcy. The troopers' morale took a dive, but it didn't matter, as nobody tried to fight them.

Murcia has fallen and Toledo is ready to crack.

Granada's African allies had been busy fighting their private war with Portugal. Now they were finally ready to help. Castille was overwhelmed and finally made an acceptable peace offer.

The offer came just in time. Castille would have won the battel for Castilla.

Economic Collapse
Granada suffered at least two further bankruptcies in the following years.
Stability settled in at -3 and morale was abysmal. On the bright side, Morocco was gained as an ally. Towards the end of the period, most loans had been "taken care off".

Second Castillan War
Granada vs Portugal, Castille
Fez vs Portugal, Castille
Algiers vs Portugal, Castille
Morrocoo vs Portugal, Castille

Protugal delcared war almost immediately after the truce with Castille expired. Granada was in deep trouble with her soldiers being outnumbered and demoralized. Thankfully Castille seemed only interested in Toledo and wouldn't attack while the entire Granadian army waited there. Portugal was free to lay siege to Andalusia, however.

Until Granada's allies arrived, that is. Fez attacked Estramadura and Castille marched to face them. I send my forces to Estramadura as well and together with Fez, Castille was beaten.

Portugal posed little threat and her Spanish holdings were all conquered through combined effort of the Granadian alliance. Castilla lost two provinces as well (including their capital), but eventually started to push back. The tide began to swing. Luckily Portugal offered peace, cash and Algrave. I accepted.

Interlude
Dull, but economically prosperous 5 years followed. The last three years Granada was making 100gold/year and i was wondering whom to attack next. Aragon took the choice from me, as it attacked just as my truce with Castille expired.

Aragon's suprise attack
Granada vs Napel, Aragon, some other Italian country
Marocco vs Napel, Aragon, some other Italian country
Algiers vs Napel, Aragon, some other Italian country
Fez vs Napel, Aragon, some other Italian country

They had about 40,000 soldiers in Valencia. I had around 25,000 in Toledo. Repeating Castille's error, they attacked Toledo. It was my luck that i had prepared for war myself and the war weariness from all the loans had worn off. Plus, Aragon attacked in two waves off 20,000.

Toldeo held, but Granada's forces were badly torn. Now came Algier's hour. They invaded Valencia with overwhelming numbers and besiged it. Thousands died of attrition until the Algerian general finally realized what's what and moved the bulk of the army to Aragon. (Aragon had moved his capital to Catalonia years ago).
Aragon finally cracked and Algier was allowed to keep the two provinces it had conquered.

Preperations
As Castille wasn't interested in attacking, Granada had a few years to brace herself. The army was restored to full strength and the war with Aragon's Italian allies ended with a small tribute from Granada's coffins. I wanted free hand for the upcomming war.

Payback
Once Granada was ready, war was declared on Castille. This was the first time Granda started a war. Portugal was overrun, as usual, with Castille taking no steps to rescue her ally. Not that it could, as it was out of her depth, having to defend against 4 nations' armies. Almost all of Castille fell. Calls for peace became more and more desperate, but what really made the difference was, that Granada was running out of money fast.
The war ended with Portugal losing Oporto and Castille losing Estramadura.

May 1448. Reconquista backfired quite badly, what?!

The current save, in case you are interested. As this is my first "after" action report, any feedback would be appreciated. More or less detail? How about the amount of pictures?

Also, since i am quite a newbie (with a lot of luck, however!) as far as the game is concerned, suggestions regarding the strategy are more than welcome!

I plan to continue the conquest of Spain until neither of the kingdoms there pose a threat any longer. Owning Tago would be really, really cool, but i don't have a single ship, let alone the capability to conquer Portugal's colonies.

Great stuff Till, doing far better than I ever could. Let's see Spain unified under your rule, shall we? :D

Some very successful wars for such a short time frame, surely the bad-0boy rating is sky-high?

Kan' Sharuminar said:
Great stuff Till, doing far better than I ever could. Let's see Spain unified under your rule, shall we? :D

Some very successful wars for such a short time frame, surely the bad-0boy rating is sky-high?
Thanks guys!
I have no idea about the bad boy ranking! What is it?
Main problem seems to be rising inflation. It is close to 50% already and i don't know how to stop it.

Inflation I have no real idea. Bad bay can be found by hovering the mouse over your reputation (i think) in the diplomacy menu. It gives a number and a threshold number - the closer you are to the latter the more likely AI nations will declare war on you.

Interesting choice of nation. There is an alternate history mod where Grenada controls most of Iberia and is expected to keep it and be a major nation however I played as one of the minor nations and managed to reconquer Iberia with lots of luck.

You can find your badboy rating by opening the diplomacy window for your country and holding your mouse over the rating that comments on your reputation.

Having inflation of 50% is bad news and is likely to be a combination of bankrupcies, high military expenditure and raising war taxes. There is little you can do to lower inflation although there is a random event that reduces inflation and it can be triggered by using the cheats. I think Aragon have an inflation of around 10% after over a hundred years since I've never raised war taxes.

Kan' Sharuminar said:
the closer you are to the latter the more likely AI nations will declare war on you.

To expand on that the size of your nation is also very important. For instance a small nation is prone to getting attacked once the war score gets past 10 (they might do regardless of badboy ratings) whilst a large major nation like Russia or an England controlling France could get away with the maximum rating and no one will attack because they know that they would lose.

Thanks again!

Well i've certainly had my share of bankrupcies and also raised war taxes at some point. What's more, Toledo has a gold mine, which apparently contributes to inflation as well.

If there is nothing to be done, i guess i'll just have to suck it up. Bad Boy rating sounds a bit worrying, but i'm used to being attacked by now. ;)

Everyone with these EUII games are making me really want to get this game, but I can't find the damn game and can't get it online.

She's a tough game to find.

I only found the original by accident in a buy 3 for £10 deal...I bought the sequel a few weeks later. Paradox games are great fun -I would rank them among the Civ games. Just a shame they're so difficult to buy offline.

Good to see the sudden influx of AAR's is convincing folk to buy the games :p

Thinking about this Granada is an unfortunate choice of Country. I'm pretty sure that they have no scripted events by the end of the century when Castile should have annexed them. In fact it looks like Granada doesn't have an event file in the normal game.

I would recommend downloading the AGCEEP mod from here:
http://perso.numericable.fr/~yodamaster/AGCEEP/introduction.htm

It does actually add more scripted events for Granada however I would recommend that you played virtually any other European nation since Granada are expected to be wiped out. Byzantium has an additional set of fantasy events that can help to turn them into a world power however as a starting nation I would really recommend avoiding a one province minor as those games tend to rely heavily on luck and would recommend one of the mid sized empires like Aragon, Burgundy or Venice which in real life never really succeeded however in the game they can do very well.

Obviously it may be fun to continue the game though. :) I seem to remember one of my early games as the Ottomans where I managed to conquer the territory that I was supposed to in real life, however our inflation was ridiculous and were less technologically advanced than our neighbours to the west.

I have been bored with some of my games for a while, and these threads have inspired me to buy EUII, it looks quite complex but a lot of fun. I played Imperialism II a lot which is sort of similar, but MUCH more simple.

Anyway, yesterday a copy popped up on Amazon by one of those companies that uses the site to sell its stuff. 18000 lifetime ratings with an average of 4.8/5.0, so i went for it. Should arrive this week.

Nice game, looks challenging.

I will check out the AGCEEP mod, thanks for the link! Do you know if i have to start a knew game for it to work, or can i keep the old saves? In the former case i will keep on playing the vanilla game.
No scripted events are a bit of a bummer, but i can live without them. I think i will keep playing until/unless inflation becomes unbearable.

AGCEEP doesn't use the same saved games however you can still play Vanilla EU2 as AGCEEP installs to a separate folder. You may also need to download the most recent patch and install it first.

Top Bottom