1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Granaries - Build them when? Ever?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lord Chambers, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Lord Chambers

Lord Chambers Emperor

I generally neglect building Granaries. In the early game I'm usually rexing, and later on I'm just watching years go by while my cities slowly construct courthouses, then buildings to promote happiness. Granaries rarely get built except in rare-late game cities who have abudant health and happiness resources.

This is a stark contrast to how I played previous civs.

My value on Granaries might be changing as a result of a recent island game I played (Stone Island Save). In it, I had several coastal cities whose limited hammers came from whipping. Unfortunately for that game, I didn't realize how helpful a Granary toward this end, and I didn't build them soon enough. I figure, in that game, almost all of the cities should have had Granaries built first, then lighthouses, and then whatever else.

My question to you, emperor players, is what's your take on Granaries? Do you build them? Find them generally vital, or generally useless? Obviously this will depend on your situation. How does your situation impact your use ?

2. Guerra

Guerra Warlord

Build granaries very early on, your city will grow exponentially and will be much healthier if you have corn and wheat.

Very important, build them early on when in safe conditions. I like to build them right before I build a long string of other buildings or a wonder.

Building a granary followed by a settler or worker is meaningless, you can build the worker first, then the granary, to take full advantage of the granary bonus.

3. Koelle

Koelle King of Kings

Maybe i'm bad because i haven't reached the emperor level yet but Granary/Lighthouse/Theater are buildings i build first in every new conquered or late founded cities. Then Forge or Library. Would like to build them early in my very first cities but i cant because workers, settlers, wonders and millitary units are more important in early game.

4. atreas

atreas King

There are generally two cases of cities: the cities with lots of food and low production, and the cities with lots of production and not much food.

In the first case I strive to build granaries ASAP because the only way to build the other improvement will be through pop-rushing - and granaries are essential for that.

In the second case I strive to build granaries as quickly I can, because the food is so precious there that I want to store every tiny bit of it.

5. jerVL/kg

jerVL/kg Sheep Nuker

Granaries are always the first thing I build in a new city, except for coastal cities which get a lighthouse first, or possibly a courthouse or theatre if the situation warrants it. There's very few situations where granaries are not essential for growth.

The lone exception, however, is the game I played as Isolated Ice Age America.

My core cities had high food AND production, thanks to a massive floodplain (which got cottaged like crazy!) plus excess forest, clams, sheep & cows. However, there were NO other food specials on the whole continent...except some crabs, which were way up in the frozen north and took awhile to connect. There was NO corn, wheat or rice -- or even FISH!! -- on the whole continent.

As a result, I had to lean heavy on the whip just to keep unhealthiness down (the floodplains didn't help!) and because I had built granaries already, the constant whipping made unhappiness a severe problem as well. Ultimately, I had to set most cities to "Avoid Growth"; I was also running Slavery until well into the Industrial Age, and used it often.

After Astronomy, I was able to colonize 90% of a new continent, as well as small plantations on the continents belonging to Cyrus and Toku. Cyrus had fish (on an island which would be useful for stationing stealth bombers later...evil snicker) plus wheat & the only incense in the game; Toku Plantation had a large garrison to protect my only rice and the only dyes available anywhere. In the New World, I had grenadiers guarding the wheat before the oil -- it was more important! Never did secure my own source of corn (though I did trade for it) -- Toku had some, but a poorly-planned invasion failed to take it from him. (Note to Self: When Come Back, Bring Navy SEALs.) He had riflemen guarding the corn, and left his iron & copper unguarded.

So yeah...if you want a real challenge, play Ice Age. It's a hard, bitter experience (and, if you see Persepolis in the Top 5 Cities list in 3950BC, I'd recommend restarting...but that's just me :lol:) but it will really challenge you to think of different strategies that you're not used to.

6. linchpin

linchpin Chieftain

Early.

With the slavery civic, and a few forests around, it’s easy to chop and slave your way to early military dominance. The granaries really help in boosting your population so you can whip faster.

(I’m monarch, not emperor btw)

7. Mulholland

Mulholland Happy New Year!!!!

What exactly does it mean to store 50% of food after growth? Is that just any surplus over that which brings you to your next poulation piont? BTW. granaries are also not much of a priority for me seeing as I dont know exactly what they do.

8. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

It means that for every 1 unit of food that went Into the food box, 0.5 units are added put once the food box empties (so it basically doubles the growth rate)

9. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Pop rush granaries first thing in every city.

10. The Lardossen

The Lardossen Warlord

It'll pay back pretty quickly in that way.

On Emperor, health penalties are severe so I construct them often, especially in those money or GP rendering cities near floodplanes. In the early game they also help when you have a city covering some good resources that also has jungles in it's fat cross.

11. migthegreek

migthegreek Back In Black

Yeah just basically think of it as your city will grow in population twice as fast if you have a granary. The bigger the city, the more production, money, research, etc. you get. Have this in all your cities, and basically you're doubling up your civilization.

12. Mulholland

Mulholland Happy New Year!!!!

Thanks Krikkitone. I find that a really fast growing city really adds to health and happiness issues in the early game. You can only whip your poulation so much. mayby it would be more useful after the pyramids with the +3 happiness bonus?

13. cabert

cabert Big mouth

maybe you should whip with more strength ;)
    building in 2 turns and 3 pop something that costs 100 hammers is worth it, and you're not going to grow 3 pop in ten turns :)eek: are you????)

14. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

If growth is a problem, what about also building a ton of workers to slow things down? That way you have the granary for when you need it, and a whole slew of workers for your empire in the meantime.

15. Mahatmajon

Mahatmajon Prince

I also used to never build granaries in previous civs but have learned to love them in CivIV. I still don't always build them in production-oriented towns as I'm usually 'busy' building barracks and troops and don't feel that putting in a granary makes a big enough difference.

In ANY city with a food resource, though, a granary is a must. When I played the Stone Island Save game granaries were the first build were whipped for almost every city the turn that they reached size 2.

The power of the :whipped: was great in that game for the island city I made with 4 food resources. Right about when I gave up with the game I had finished whipping the Globe Theater there (~6 pop) and it was going to be a whipping force for wonders & who knows what for the rest of the game.

16. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Granaries are great if you have low health, low food, or low hammers (slavery).

They are useless if your limiting factor is happiness.

17. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Wrong. They're always useful. They let your city grow faster. Spending 60 hammers to save 200 food over the course of the game is well worth it.

18. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Spending 60 hammers to stay at size 6 for 60 turns is not useful.

19. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Even then it's very useful. You can then use pop rush to build stuff, coming back to size 6 in no time, since like you said your only problem is happiness. Just lose 3 population points every 10 turns and there's no increased happiness. And with the granary, you'll only need 14 + 15 + 16 = 45 food in order to produce 90 hammers. Well worth it.

20. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

You don't get unhappiness if you lose less than 3 pop / 10 turns? :confused: