Granaries - Build them when? Ever?

Zombie69 said:
you'll only need 14 + 15 + 16 = 45 food in order to produce 90 hammers. Well worth it.

It was 13+15+16, because growing from 5 to 6, left 15 food in your food box.

Zombie69 said:
Well worth it.

It depends on what tile was the slave working on. If they were all working on forest plain, you're losing 6 hammer for 5 turn (turn required to accumulate 13 food from 3 surplus), plus 4*7+2*15 = 88 hammer, which is good since you get the product now instead of 90 hammer later. If it was mined grass tiles, then it may be better to build slowly.

A spiritual leader can synchronize slave rush with certain civic to gain more. Since each slave worth 37 hammer when rushing building under certain civic (forgot the name), then you can temporary swap to it to rush some building in some city for awhile, then swap back to grow back the city.

granieries are for fish+corn(2 food) cities so you can whip them with minimul time needed for regrowth

Mahatmajon said:
I also used to never build granaries in previous civs but have learned to love them in CivIV. I still don't always build them in production-oriented towns as I'm usually 'busy' building barracks and troops and don't feel that putting in a granary makes a big enough difference.

exactly what i was thinking .... although having a high growth slave town soulds like nice idea

mandatory on marathon speed as cities need zillions turns to grow.
But ... not in always as first thing, IE : if you now that you re going to war soon, units and so on prod become priority.

I don't build graneries. I outgrow my civ's ability to keep a city healthy or happy too fast. I am in war pretty much the whole game. So building happy making buildings so I can make health happy buildings so I can grow my city above size 10 faster is usually not on the list of things to do.

Basically, I get unhappy and unhealthy from city growth already. Why would I want to reach that point sooner?

BLuerog

A granary in your production city before your war will let your city grow (rate and additional health) as you collect new happiness and health resources. This in turn will help your war out as you can build units faster.

I build granaries always. I think it is very important to build them, because cities will grow alot of faster, and some problems with unhealthyness will be fixed. Theyre also quite cheap.

Bluerog said:
Basically, I get unhappy and unhealthy from city growth already. Why would I want to reach that point sooner?

BLuerog

If you use Slavery the granaries are vital to "refill" the population :goodjob:

Granaries aren't nearly as critical as they were in previous Civs. Since your initial city is usually well supplied, I don't build a granary until health is an issue or my ability to keep the pop happy is greater than pop growth. I would never "always" build a granary. In most cases I want a culture building. In some cities there is always a more pressing build than a granary.

A granary does NOT increase growth exponentially. It increases an already growing city by a factor of two. This almost never matters in the early stages of a city with a food resource. I find myself having to whip just to keep pop down even without a granary.

I love granaries as they allow me to run a food deficeit far more often without the loss of population and even if I do go down one population I have a half full box off food to work off. That can be vital.

kittenOFchaos said:
I love granaries as they allow me to run a food deficeit far more often without the loss of population and even if I do go down one population I have a half full box off food to work off. That can be vital.
That is a good point. I often run a food deficit to build wonders, then whip in the last turn before someone starves. In a situation like that it's almost like you're turning 2 food into 30 shields!

Lord Chambers said:
That is a good point. I often run a food deficit to build wonders, then whip in the last turn before someone starves. In a situation like that it's almost like you're turning 2 food into 30 shields!

I try to do this too. But that's where the granary is so powerful! You can recnver twice as fast from this than you could without it.

Another use : I usually build theaters/temples by whipping in starving conquered cities. But If instead, you whip a granary, it gives you time for the next buildings/to conquer the culturally dominant nearby city.
Will try it next time.

Top Bottom