Grand Duchy of Lithuania (Litva)

NeverMind said:
No problem :D I see Broken Legion is doing well. So, good luck in making this civ. I am going to make Litva and Belarus for my mod later.

PS. I don't see Vilnius (Wilno) in your city list. :confused: To be honest, this list looks like belarusian only.

Thanx. Regarding Vilnius, in Belarusian language it sounds like "Vilna" and it is in the first part of City List.

PS It is great that some people know that Vilnius was the former capital of Belarus.

Litvin said:
I know it takes a lot of time. I think it is better to spend more time and work out playable, deep and nice civ, instead of making civ in accordance with the principle (like we say in Belarus) "just to be" :)

I think it will be correct to organize leaders the following way:

Usyaslau Charadzei - Spiritual and Aggressive, Hereditary Rule
Alherd - Expansive and Philosophical, Theocracy
Vitaut - Organized and Financial, Free Religion
Yagaillo - Industrial and Creative, Representation

Thanx for your efforts :goodjob:

If anyone disagrees let's discuss

These are the images of leaders i found for now:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Mindaug.jpg
    Mindaug.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 97
  • Vitaut.jpg
    Vitaut.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Alherd.jpg
    Alherd.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 114
Oh crap... Let's learn some history :)
And let's start from the begining:

Litvin said:
This great CREATOR has made "Lithuania". This is a modern country. This country was just a part of Grand Duchy of Lithuania (Litva).
GDL = Grand Dutchy of Lithuania, the NAME itselfs says - that Lithuania isn't just the ordinary part of the country, but is the RULER and the OWNER of it.

"Modern Lithuania" - can't be called GDL ("Grand Duchy"), because it isn't ruled by Dukes.

the old "GDL" was named so, because the ruler was Duke, you CANN'T give a name to the country "The Kingdom of Lithuania" - if there are no kings in it. The reason why Lithuania wasn't a Kingdom is simple - it was a pagan country, and the pope disagreed to grant a crown (there are only two exceptions and only one succesful with King Mindaugas - but that lasted for a very short period of time). That's why in the history you will find the GDL, not any other name.
So GDL is the old Lithuania, which rooled a lot of Slavic lands...

Litvin said:
King Mindaugas or MINDAUG was the founder of Grand Duchy of Lithuania (Litva).
Mindaugas was the first one, who:
* United the Lithuania (now adays Lithuanian territory)
* The first one to expand country (into the east...)

He was crowned when Lithuania was allready united.

Litvin said:
PLEASE DO NOT MIX "Lithuania" and "Grand Duchy of Lithuania (Litva)".

The reason is like if you say Florida meaning the whole United States:)
Look at this:
* The countries name says "This country belongs to Lithuania" (the Grand dutchy of Lithuania)
* The roolers of it are Lithuanians (born here, lived here)
* The capital is in Lithuania (and by saying this I don't mean only "mordern time" - but also the old one - people here spoke Lithuanian, they were pagans, they were from Baltic tribe. As comparison, Belarusian: spoke slavic language (the old Belarusian - connected with russian language), were Ortodox Cristian, and were from Slavic tribe ).

So saying GDL is Lithuania there is no mixing, except - that the old one - rooled A LOT OF foreign districts. And rooled for a very LONG time.
So we have the same country, just the different size.

Litvin said:
Once again get more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duchy_of_Lithuania
This should be A different Civilization, just because of its Role in the History of the World.
(ech.... wikipedia a very weak stuff, but if you like it....)
And once again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuania

and i'll bold some text:
"When Grand Duke Jogaila was crowned King of Poland on February 2, 1386, Lithuania and Poland joined in a personal union, as both countries were ruled by the same Jagiellon dynasty. In 1569, Poland and Lithuania formally merged into a single state called the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. This union remained in place until the adoption of the May Constitution of 1791, which abolished all subdivisions of the states "

I'm just pointing out, that GDL was the Lithuania (and a lot of slavic territories were part of it).

Even you can look at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth

(it has more "3rd party sources") - and you'll find a lot of saying "Lithuania and Poland and so on - because there is the equality between Lithuania and GDL (GDL = Lithuania).

PLEEEEASE! Calm down.:)
Every country has its own history. If you do not forget Russian, would you please read the following info:

www.litvin.org

Just one FACT. ALL OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION of GRAND DUCHY of LITHUANIA was in BELARUSIAN or Old Slavic language (which was the ground for modern Belarusian language). ALL. NONE was written in Lithuanian:rolleyes:

DO YOU THINK it is normal that so called "conquerors" spoke the language of people the "conquered":lol:

Your contry was called ZHAMOITIA or ZHMUD'. Actually the capital of your country was in KOVNO (modern KAUNAS).

Unfortunately do not have time to translate the following source in English, but those people who speak and read Russian can find some useful info:

http://ganba.narod.ru/Litvin.html

RESULT: You have your civ, I have mine. Full stop. Bye:king:

PS sorry for spelling :-(

I feel REALLY sorry that the Government of Belarus does not protect the history of Belarus. For them the history of Belarus started after 1917. :confused: As a result coutries like Russia and Lithuania (Zhamoitia) write the history as they want to see. This is the shame.
:sad:

Broken Legion said:
I've done all the XML (except Civpedias which will function but are blank.)stuff, just the Art aspect needs to be done, I'll get on it.
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/Grand_Duchy_of_Lithuania.zip
Here's the files, for your perusal.

Great! Finally I've checked this. I can just say that it is fine with names. I can't say how it is supposed to work, 'cause I not good in programming at all.

:goodjob:

I haven't tested it yet, invariably I make mistakes which will come up when the XML is loading, but they are always fixable. I sorry I haven't been working on this as my internet is down. I'm on Dial-up now which limits what I can do. Once my Broadbands up and running I'll finish the graphic side and hopefully you'll have your mod. If any one else wants to do the graphics before I am able to, please feel free. Sorry for the delay Litvin.

Litvin said:
PLEEEEASE! Calm down.:)
Every country has its own history.
Yes evry country has it's own history. But Belorusia is more a "modern country", and it's history starts with ocupations...

Litvin said:
If you do not forget Russian, would you please read the following info:
www.litvin.org
Oh crap, when I write a lot of facts - yopu point me to some site :)
Sorry - but i never knew russian :) And can't read your languge...

I hope you know how different Rusian and Belarusian languages are?

Litvin said:
Just one FACT. ALL OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION of GRAND DUCHY of LITHUANIA was in BELARUSIAN or Old Slavic language (which was the ground for modern Belarusian language). ALL. NONE was written in Lithuanian:rolleyes:
Yes it was. And what this facts says?
It says only one thing: Lithuanians didn't have their own writings (actualy the first lithuanian book came only in XVI century). So if it was needed to write any document - we were using foreign writings (you can't use what you don't have). It's like in the first Civ series - when you occupate foregin city - you can take one of their advantage... :) At that moment writing was taken.

The other fact that you didn't mentioned - that all that writing was used only for chancellery purposes.
Also you didn't mentioned that some of those writings there made in Latin too :) And you somehow forget, that a lot of writings under the united kingdom (Lithuania & Poland) there wrote in Polish (yes not all, some still in russian). So writing as alone thing is a very weak argument in this case.

Litvin said:
DO YOU THINK it is normal that so called "conquerors" spoke the language of people the "conquered":lol:
Actualy what you wrote is also one sided thing :) I'll just add what you forgot, or didn't wanet to see:
1. Even deep into now adays Belarusia there were lithuanian schools.
2. Even more deeper - Lithuanian Pastorates went to churches to speak preachments in Lithuanian - this gives a nice idea about lithuanian comunitys in russian land...
3. All Lithuanian rulers spoke Lithuanian :) They just learned russian language as their first foreign - for very simple situation - all diplomatic acts in the east (non GDL territory) were made in russian, a lot of locative rulers - spoke in russian too (exeptions - only when such one was replaced by lithuanian one).
4. Other thing - that expansion to the east was often made in such a way: comes a lithuanian duke - and if local governor is smart enouth - he acknowledges his loyality to Lithuanian Duke :) if he wan't to be independent - his castle gets burned and a new local governors is put by the duke, very often new local goverment is also local man - from a rival family of the former "ruler" (so a lot of local pop[ulation is happy - they don't feel opresed, and GDL duke is happy - a new ruler acknowledges him, pays taxes and so on).
If you would check Vytautas history you would find a lot of his raids into salvic (russian) lands to "put down" a local ruler who tries to be more independent.
also the other way to secure that there will be no indipendent thoughts was to marry daughter with locla ruler...
In some cases (actualy rarely) - the local region governor was changed by lithuanian one.

Litvin said:
Your contry was called ZHAMOITIA or ZHMUD'. Actually the capital of your country was in KOVNO (modern KAUNAS).
Oh... well if you don't know anything about Lithuania - you just could don't speak nonsenses. (now I am feeling, like any englishman would feel by listening of the Indian saying: "British Empire wasn't ruled by england, England was only part of it - and you know - your capital was somethere in Scotland...")
So:
1. First Lithuanian capital was Kreva, second Trakai, thrid (and the last) - Vilnius.
2. Kaunas never was called a capital of Lithuania, except during period of WWI end - WWII- begining. Even then it was called "Temporrary Capital" (Vilnius was ocupied by Polish troops - we were at very "cold war" situation with them).
3. Zemaitija is a region near there Baltic sea. For your knowledge - even Kaunas isn't in the region of Zemaitija. Kaunas is in the region of aukstaitija. :)
(so you are talking really a lot of crap - feel it?)

So please - don't be so light-headed.

Litvin said:
Unfortunately do not have time to translate the following source in English, but those people who speak and read Russian can find some useful info:
"Unfortunatly" - you even can't give me any answer to any my writen text one post before....

Litvin said:
RESULT: You have your civ, I have mine. Full stop. Bye:king:
Result was allready said by one of your countries historians: "Sadly when we look back to the old times - we find Lithuanians allready there".

Hi, dear UN-DEAD-AS-S! I do not have much time to post such HUGE answers. Actually this is not purely historic forum, so I do not even want to answer the crap (a "nice word" you like to use) you posted.
This is the gamers' forum.

You are "pure" nationalist, so I consider it is useless to provide you with any facts, you will never listern to the TRUTH.

PS for your information, I speak (Belarusian, English, Rusian, Polish, German, Turkish and French languages). Obviously, I'm not perfect in all of them, but I WANT to study and learn the HISTORY and the Languages.

When I was a pupil at Soviet times I studied the variant of "history" you are telling me (actually to was SOVIET point of view on history) . Later when I became a student i had a chance to get another variant of the history of Grand Duchy of Lithuania, which I consider to have some ground. My opinion is the last variant is more correct.

Also Belarus is far from being a "modern" country in historical aspect. The first countris on the territory of present Belarus were Polatsk and Turau princedomes, they were founded in 9th century, when ancestors of modern Lithuanians were just a small barbarian tribe to North from Polatsk princedom

PS DO NOT DARE to call my nation and my country as a "conquered" ones.

Take care

Broken Legion said:
I haven't tested it yet, invariably I make mistakes which will come up when the XML is loading, but they are always fixable. I sorry I haven't been working on this as my internet is down. I'm on Dial-up now which limits what I can do. Once my Broadbands up and running I'll finish the graphic side and hopefully you'll have your mod. If any one else wants to do the graphics before I am able to, please feel free. Sorry for the delay Litvin.

Hi, Broken Legion! I'm fine with it. As I said before it is better to spend more time and get good product rather than to be fast with a bad one!

Thank you for the job you are doing!:goodjob:

Litvin said:
Hi, dear UN-DEAD-AS-S! I do not have much time to post such HUGE answers.
Actually this is not purely historic forum, so I do not even want to answer the crap (a "nice word" you like to use) you posted.
Or you just don't have what to answer :) So it is more easier to run away....

Litvin said:
You are "pure" nationalist, so I consider it is useless to provide you with any facts, you will never listern to the TRUTH.
Well evertyhing what you wrote just shows that you are big nationalist :) I just put the historical facts like they are. And you are puting only onesided stuff in a way that you would like to see :)

Litvin said:
PS for your information, I speak (Belarusian, English, Rusian, Polish, German, Turkish and French languages). Obviously, I'm not perfect in all of them, but I WANT to study and learn the HISTORY and the Languages.
That's good that you want to do so, one of my hobies is history too :) That's why I can't listen when someone tries with "serious face" to rewrite history...

Litvin said:
When I was a pupil at Soviet times I studied the variant of "history" you are telling me (actually to was SOVIET point of view on history) . Later when I became a student i had a chance to get another variant of the history of Grand Duchy of Lithuania, which I consider to have some ground. My opinion is the last variant is more correct.
Well actually in Soviet Union Lithuanian history was rewritten (by russians...) and even there weren't any discusion about history of Lithuania. Any national lithuanian symbols were also forbiden... russians didn't like history...

Litvin said:
Also Belarus is far from being a "modern" country in historical aspect. The first countris on the territory of present Belarus were Polatsk and Turau princedomes, they were founded in 9th century, when ancestors of modern Lithuanians were just a small barbarian tribe to North from Polatsk princedom
Yes lithuanians were more like barbarians :) But those barbarians managed to create a united state, which even then was called Lithuania. When the tribes in now adays Belarusia territory were separated duchies and there wasn't such thing like one/united Belarusia. Belarusia appeared on the map only in 1917 (or 1918?) as a single state. That's why I call it a "modern country".

Litvin said:
PS DO NOT DARE to call my nation and my country as a "conquered" ones.
Why? Because it hurts your nationalistic heart?

For example Lithuania was occupied by Imperial Russia, Germany, USSR - such are historical facts - there is no shame to accept the historical truth (for me). And you somehow feel angry about your country not so shiny history...
But feeling angry isn't the reason to rewrite world history...

I understand that each nation has it's own version of history, but I can not agree with two of the statements, I've found in that thread:
1. Constitution of 3rd May - it was not written by GDL, only by Polish Sejm (Parliament) and signed on 3rd May 1791, what makes it first in Europe and second in the world (after USA) written constitution. Till today we have Constitution Day on 3rd May every year (together with Labour Day on 1st May it gives us a 'long weekend' :) )
2. Wilno was not occupied between WW1 and WW2 - it was a Polish city and it was in the area of Polish state in that time. How can you say that this city was occupied, when there was huge majority of Poles in it? In fact it was few years ago when finally the percentage of Lithuanians in Wilno reached 50%, making it now more Lithianian than Polish city, but it will not change the fact that before war it was a Polish city (but villages outside of city were and are populated by Lithuanians, waht makes it hard to justify how our borders should look like in that time).
I hope that your mod will be a good one - I have nothing aginst putting Wilno the in your cities list, most of cities from Polish mod are also in many other civilizations in civ4, unfortunatelly that's our history.
I hope that someday there will be a mod for our Commonwealth of both Nations - probably with two leaders (and brothers) to chose: Jagiello and Witold :)

Leszek

I totaly agree with Undeadas, because these are true facts to consider. I am going to take a history state exam, for which I am preparing, and I can say, that these facts the most acurate ones. So if I write them in the exam sheet, I will get them wrong? No, so what,maybe the country is lying to all other countries about this history? Well, I think not, so don't pick on this history because it couldn't be more acurate. And as for Vilnius..I like this city very much,all lithuanians do, because it is OUR city, and polish DID occupy it..I don't have my notes now,but I remmember very well,that after much fighting, Lithuania and Poland came to an agreement to stand down,and that Vilnius will remain to Lithuania, but one of your army's commanders decided to do otherwise, because he thought this would be better for his homeland..Vilnius was occupied, and the number of polish in it only confirms how much they wanted to live in that city..build your own if you want..and Vilnius is true center of lithuanian history and culture, because the castle of Gediminas, the cathedral, the house of kings,all built by lithuanians, and russians took it from poland and gave back to lithuania...I'm not able to add dates and names,but I will, but everything above is true,brief summary of what happened.

To ldeska: Thanx for support!

To Undeadas and NieksasS: I am tied of you both (or one:crazyeye: )

To everyone who has time and patience, please explain Undeadas and NieksasS, that Grand Duchy of Lithuania and modern Lithuania are two different formations.

You hear that sound? That's the sound when you get wrong answer, look around,there should be a red sign flashing somewhere. And it should be great duchy of lithuania (GDL) or LDK in lithuanian (Lietuvos Didžioji Kunigaikštystė) since Mindaugas was a king,Vytautas almoust was a king, only later, when Lithuania and Poland was united it was called The Republic of Two Nations (RTN) or Abiejų Tautų Respublika (ATR). Republic,what is it now?Republic as well,sooo what does this mean?Same constitution with minor changes?Yes,THEN this is THE same country,smaller, has a president,not a king,though same constitution,same name,same spirit,same beliefs,what else are you looking for? Only after long wars with Moscow ATR was weakend and ocupied. Then Lithuania was known as independent country only after WWI,not long though. In 2009 we will celebrate the 1000 years of Lithuania's existance, so if it was NOT Lithuania,then why this date will be celebrated worldwide by all lithuanians? Maybe you should turn on the TV when all other nations will send congrats on this event...

To NieksasS

I can say that you are the nation which is very united. Your government cares about your history. At school you study the history written by the Lithuanians. Naturally this is the variant of history which fits the needs of your nation the best. I understand this point of view and respect it.

Unlike yours the government of Belarus do not care about the history of Belarus. They do not know the history of my country. All they know is that on the territory of modern Belarus was a huge guerilla war during WW2. That is the whole history they accept :mad:

Several months ago they re-named the central avenue of Minsk (the capital of modern Belarus) named after the first publisher of belarus and maybe Francysk Skaryna. The do not want to restore the history, just because in that case the Belarusians will know the true history of the Land and throw down present Soviet-oriented governmet in order to join civilized world. Up to now we are isolated nation
:(

Top Bottom