Grand Menagerie feedback

Hmm... I CAN HAS GWYFFON PLS?

Is there a way to turn off upkeep on this scenario? I basically had no choice but to pump out hunter after hunter and a huge stockpile of animals - eventually I had every square in sight thanks to various hunters and my captured animals - and still the Griffon stayed out over the ocean south of Innsmouth.

I ended up plopping one down in world builder just to finish the scenario - either more griffons or a slightly more reliable way of getting them to swoop in would be good. Mine was hanging around the polar ice caps...

In the meantime I think I got nearly 10 tigers and gorillas and 4 elephants...

From a financial standpoint you should probably disband the extra animals, only keep a few especially once you have a lot of hunters.

Best wishes,

Breunor

From a financial standpoint you should probably disband the extra animals, only keep a few especially once you have a lot of hunters.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Oh I did :) But it was also a case of trying to find the Griffon... I used the animals as extra pairs of eyes as it were...

So, am I missing something? I get the 5 animals for the Menagerie and cage them. After caging the last one, the red 'objective' simply does not appear again. I tried building the Grand Menagerie, but with it did nothing to advance the scenario.
Cage all of them. Look at the red objective thing again. It should change (or a popup will appear).

Edit: Spoiler removed, sry.

New to FFH2 and Civ4 in general. Actually got Civ4 to play the mod, sad as it sounds. :lol: Anyway, playing most of the scenarios on a low difficulty level since I'm new, so hopefully my feedback as a noob will be helpful.

I found Grand Menagerie to do a good job of what it's designed to do, give us the tutorial on hunting and the animal city improvements. Unfortunately you don't get to use these skills in the other scenarios very often, since animals disappear so quickly, but it was interesting to play at least.

I do have a few criticisms. I'll put the rest of this in a spoiler just to be safe.

Spoiler :
1. You can capture a spider here, but you can't build a spider pen. When I first played through his scenario, this led me to believe that unlike the rest of the animals, the spider doesn't have a corresponding city building, which isn't true. I think the spider pen should be buildable, even if it's not actually required to win the scenario.

2. Being able to build culture, research, or wealth would be helpful for the end of the scenario. Quite often I built hunters only to immediately dismiss them so the island didn't get too cluttered. I didn't realize at the time that barbarians didn't spawn in line of sight, so it's a good thing I decided to junk them and the extra animals anyway. :lol:

I didn't have much problem finding the gryphon. Maybe I was just lucky in that regard.

Spoiler :
1. You can capture a spider here, but you can't build a spider pen. When I first played through his scenario, this led me to believe that unlike the rest of the animals, the spider doesn't have a corresponding city building, which isn't true. I think the spider pen should be buildable, even if it's not actually required to win the scenario.

2. Being able to build culture, research, or wealth would be helpful for the end of the scenario. Quite often I built hunters only to immediately dismiss them so the island didn't get too cluttered. I didn't realize at the time that barbarians didn't spawn in line of sight, so it's a good thing I decided to junk them and the extra animals anyway. :lol:

I didn't have much problem finding the gryphon. Maybe I was just lucky in that regard.

Spoiler :

In order to build the spider pen, you need a specific technology, not available in this scenario

Spoiler :

In order to build the spider pen, you need a specific technology, not available in this scenario

True. It may make sense if you look at it that way, just seemed a bit misleading when the scenario is all about capturing animals and building their respective buildings.

I liked this as a sort of tutorial scenario, howver it didnt pepare u for momus which is much harder! Lovin' the ffh2 (the lanun r my favourit neutral nation). Is it possible to defeat Keelyn with culture (great bard=useful).

besides the scripts not fully working for me in this scenario (no keelyn telling me to catch elephant after i build GM), I noticed that animals do not respawn for me as well (Yes, I nest my hunter in the city for a few turns then checked WB). I have not changed anything in the game XML. does anyone else have this issue or know what might be causing it? i think the scenario scripts arent activating for me in general

I noticed that animals do not respawn for me as well (Yes, I nest my hunter in the city for a few turns then checked WB).

I had the same issue when playing the scenario. But Wages of Sin and The Splintered Court worked fine for me, although that was played in 0.40.

I remember reading in this thread something along the lines of "can the Lanun culturally conquer the Balseraphs?"

Well, I set out to see if I could, and I just did, on Turn 291.

After immediately building the carnival, I set my third citizen to be a bard. The slow increase in culture points from the Grand Menagerie and it's prereq animal cages, plus settling two great bards and getting one bard from the Menagerie, got my city's culture up to 84.00 Culture per turn. One of the three Great Bards I got I used as a culture bomb, the others I settled. My city's final culture was 18413.40. Oh, and I had 12 hunters fortified in my city, plus an elephant and a griffon.

This isn't really practical in any way, though, because I actually won the game a while ago. But it was a fun experiment.

Found a griffon, but I was using an unpromoted hunter as a scout and the hunter killed it! :cry: Now it's taking forever to find another one.

I just find this scenario boring. Perhaps the map could be smaller, or you getting vision of the last two animals you need to capture.

Perhaps just a hint to open the worldbuilder to look for the animals you need. Then anyone can play it any way they want to just go through it fast.

In earlier versions of the mod, almost nobody ever build the managerie. Tigers and gorillas were to rare. With this scenario Kael showed us the wonder and introduced the griffon.
It's there so you have seen the wonder and proceed.

Tigers are easily summoned by Priests of the Leaves.
Gorillas, though...

Top Bottom