Grand Menagerie feedback

Are they also tutorials?
No, The momus is actually quite hard if you try it the first time.

So unless there's a way to cheat my way around this, I don't think I'll see the scenarios that require you to finish this one.
You can edit the trophy file and change the 0 in grand menagerie into a 1.

Is that the one in my documents/my games? This is what the file contains for me:

Code:
(dp1
S'TROPHY_DEFEATED_ORTHUS'
p2
I1
sS'description'
p3
S'store trophies value'
p4
s.

I don't see grand menagerie mentioned in it.

Anyone? How can I skip that scenario?

just open up worldbuilder and look where the griffon is. then just move your hunters there and he will come and sweep upon you. scenario won.

Anyone? How can I skip that scenario?

if you go to the scenario folder within the assets folder of FF2, you can open up scenarios directly from there.

the file path will look something like

Program Files/Firaxis Games/Civ 4/BTS/Mods/FF2/Assets/Scenarios

just double click on the scenario you want to open. (this was the route I was using to play scenarios before the duel map fix)

Not sure whether you would have to continue going this route for successive scenarios though (ie; not sure if Radiant Guard can be accessed once Momus has been completed but GM has not) or indeed whether trophies are awarded for completed scenarios when pre-requisite scenarios have not been completed.

As such, the worldbuilder, delete griffon route seems the better option to me...

Will anything be done about the griffon only flying over water?

Had to add land in worldbuilder after I waited 30 turns for it to move away from one of the edges of the map.

Didnt overly like the Grand Menagerie scenario. The Momus scenario was much much better. Get subdue animals promo (need combat I) with scouts/hunters, and go on a capturing spree.

Problems:

1) Too MANY freaking animals spawn, except for the Griffon and first elephant, which take FOREVER.

2) No option to build "nothing" so the stupid city popup leaves you alone when you have 20 animals and 10 hunters sitting in the capital.

Not the most interesting scenario, but it did exactly what it intended - to teach the noob (such as I) all about the hunt. And I never did know how to build the grand menagerie and I don't think I will ever in a normal game. It's just too much of a hassle. When I first played FFH2, I didn't bother to look at the civilopedia and just played around with the grigori (becuz adventurers intrigued me :D woo for 1 xp per turn). In any case, the elephant and the griffon were abit slow to come out.

I was positively surprised about the scenario. I realize that it is only tutorial-material, but I think it did well.

I think the scenario should remain a prerequisite to Momus, as the story is established in this scenario. I really like the way you get to know Falamar's thoughts in the initial text.

The quest system worked well, I had no problems with it at all. Also, the popups that come when you defeat an animal are very helpful. I, despite being a Monarch FfH player, had no idea how one got Wolf Packs, Lion Prides, and the like.

All in all, nice, easy, short establishing scenario... Now, on to the Momus, which seems way harder. I am looking foward to it. I really appreciate the appearance of the Balseraph in these scenarios as well.

I'd suggest two basic additions to the scenario to make this a complete hunting tutorial:

1) add in parrots for the reasons stated above

2) since every other animal is dealt with in this scenario, you might as well make a Giant Spider/Spider Pen objective (to make it different to the other objectives, only put baby spiders on the map so the player has to grow the spider first)

A few suggestions to spice this scenario up (as it is rather boring):

1) Change the Aegean Isles into an archipelago. Set it up like the Galapagos, with each island having a unique biome and the relevant animals (with some redundancy, so it is not just one animal per island). Sprinkle in some dens on the starting map, so new players get to see them (I saw none when I played). Allow players to build basic ships obviously.

2) Add in some competition so it becomes a race of sorts, as previously suggested. Have the race develop in multiple stages (GM first, then other animal objectives). To keep it easy, maybe require that the player only wins a certain number of the races (but they still have to complete each objective before the next race starts). Maybe the GM race counts for 2-3 points so that it is the most important, and the rest count for 1 point. You win if you have more points than your opponent (maybe displayed to the player via mood bonuses, +1 - You were the first to bring me an Elephant).

3) Split up the starting areas away from the Isles. Maybe Keelyn and your competition start on a sliver of a continent, and you start on an island off the mainland. Your first objective could be to sail to Keelyn to get your mission. Sailing back and forth from the Isles could add a level of risk, as your low level ships compete with sea creatures to get the animals back safely (the first time you sight each sea creature, a pop up describing it could come up). Having a bunch of sea creatures around the Isles could add to their mystique and feeling of remoteness too.

4) Have open borders with Keelyn and build the cages in her city. That way, she builds the GM, not you (which also solves the extra trophy issue and makes players want to build the GM themselves in a regular game even more, as they never get to build it in this scenario). You might have to give Keelyn two cities in order to make the race with the other civ work (you have to get cages and the GM built in city A, your competition has to do it in city B).

5) To make the race part even more exciting, add in a race against time for the second phase (post GM phase). Give Keelyn's city/cities only a few hammers, so the GM builds slowly. Once she starts building, you get a pop up where she tells you she wants to throw a grand opening party for the GM. She needs silk for the performers' costumes and she wants an elephant for the show as well. You have to gift her an elephant and get a baby spider, grow it to a giant spider and build a silk pen in the city with the GM before she finishes the GM (if you manage to do it in time, she gets a bunch of hammers and finishes the GM on the next turn). You could leave the Griffon as a third, untimed phase (after the great party [or, if you failed the second phase, after you get her both items], she comes to you and says she feels the GM is incomplete and wants a Griffon to add to her collection).

I think the above suggestions would preserve the tutorial nature of this scenario, but make it MUCH more interesting and fun to play, as well as feel more immersed in the lore.

I think most of you are trying to turn this into a challenging and longer scenario; it is meant to be an introduction to hunting (and to the story), not a "real" scenario... I would not like it to be filled with lairs and opponents, that simply confuses the player and leads attention from the main objective (and some of the suggestions does not fit with the lore of the scenario).

I think most of you are trying to turn this into a challenging and longer scenario; it is meant to be an introduction to hunting (and to the story), not a "real" scenario... I would not like it to be filled with lairs and opponents, that simply confuses the player and leads attention from the main objective (and some of the suggestions does not fit with the lore of the scenario).

Nothing I suggested would make the scenario more difficult or longer.

Your opponent for Keelyn's bounty is not an enemy, and all three players would obviously always be at peace with each other.

I really liked the light-hearted spirit of this scenario, but I think that a few tweaks could make it even more enjoyable:

- Let the player build parrots
- Let the player build research (or gold) so he can stop building hunters
- Allow the mobility promotions (or allow the research of horse riding for it, without gaining anything else of course)
- Stop the cities from evolving, so people don't think that there would be a point: no population or culture gain

And for cosmetic purposes those could be nice:
- Change the name of the cities to something less legendary than the civs' capitals, like "Base camp" and "Keelyn's camp"
- Having those cities be oversized tent buildings (the carnival and freak show fit) instead of normal city graphics would be awesome

Hi all, i decided this morning to try the scenarios after several successful games of FFH (still rather new to this great Mod).

However when I try the Grand Menagerie, i get a CTD every time. Its the first error I've had with FFH. I'm running XP. I tried the helpful hint of loading it from an old game, but same thing.

Any ideas?

Edit: Never mind I figured something out. Once I highlighted a different scenario, then returned to GM it worked fine.

I liked the scenario. Completed it on the first try. I was a bit worried when the animals did not appear, but soon enough I realised that the appropriate animals were spawning over time. So, when there was not the proper animal animal around just waited a few turns.

The inability to order the city to build nothing was a bit irritating. I had to create hunters and delete them as soon as created...Not the most fun thing to do.

A nice tutorial conserning animals. I felt I learned a lot, although I think all this info should be in the civilopedia, at the specific section for each animal.

Excellent appetizer! Simple, short, and after playing FFH for 1.5 years ... it is the 1st time I have the opportunity to build the Grand Menagery !!! THANK YOU !!!

I haven't read the whole thread, but I noticed that Gorilla's have HUGE bloodspurts compared to everything else; they take up the whole screen. Playing with patch y.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I noticed that Gorilla's have HUGE bloodspurts compared to everything else; they take up the whole screen. Playing with patch y.

This is a patch related problem. Hopefully it will be corrected next patch.

Hmm... I CAN HAS GWYFFON PLS?

Is there a way to turn off upkeep on this scenario? I basically had no choice but to pump out hunter after hunter and a huge stockpile of animals - eventually I had every square in sight thanks to various hunters and my captured animals - and still the Griffon stayed out over the ocean south of Innsmouth.

I ended up plopping one down in world builder just to finish the scenario - either more griffons or a slightly more reliable way of getting them to swoop in would be good. Mine was hanging around the polar ice caps...

In the meantime I think I got nearly 10 tigers and gorillas and 4 elephants...

Top Bottom