GRAND OPENING: CivFanatics File Database

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
GRAND OPENING: CivFanatics File Database

After much preparation, we are pleased to announce the grand opening of our new File Database! The new database is integrated with the forum and contains lots of features.

Why the new File Database?

You may be wondering why we create the new file database since we already have the file forums inside the highly active Civ3/Civ4 Creation & Customization forums. The reason is simple: to make it easier for visitors to find and download the files they want, and also provide modders with an efficient, central system to release their files.

The new file database allows more precise categorization of files. For examples, for graphics modpacks category, we have serveral sub-categories such as Leaderheads, Terrain Graphics, Flag Graphics, Buildings, Resources, Wonders, and Interface Graphics. For Unit Graphics category, we have Ancient Units, Medieval Units, Renaissance Units, Industrial Units, Modern Units, Sci-Fi Units, Fantasy Units and Other Units as the sub-categories. This should make it very easy to find and download the file you want. More categories and sub-categories will be created as necessary.

In addition, the file database has a search feature that let's you search the entire file database, making it even easier to find the files you need. For instance, searching for a modder's name will list all his files. Unlike the forum search, this file search is open to everyone, including unregistered users.

For Modders:
  • Modders can add files in an easy to use system.
  • The "My Files" page shows all the files you uploaded and their status (ex. approved or waiting for approval, etc).
  • When a new version of the file is out, you can edit the file page to update all the the file details easily.
  • For the file description, the familiar forum post editor is used, meaning you can use features like smilies, vB Codes, insert images, and format it anyway you want. You can include file requirements and link to the mod homepage or support thread in the description.
  • For the file itself, if the file is already uploaded somewhere, which is the case for all/most existing files (whether it's located on civfanatics.net, 3DDownloads, or else where), you can link to it and provide the file size in the form without re-uploading the file. (Note: As stated in the file upload guide, you should upload your mods to the CFC server or 3D Downloads server whenever possible).
  • You can upload image(s) for the file. The first image uploaded for the file will be used as the file thumbbail and is visible on the files listing page.
  • Download counter: see how many times your file has been downloaded!
  • Files you uploaded will be listed on your profile. (Example)
All Modders: Please start adding the files (both your existing files and all upcoming files) to the File Database today! Instead of linking to the file directly, in your file's discussion thread, you should link to your file entry in the file database instead.

Links to the File Database have been added to the main page and forum.

For Everyone:
  • As stated above, you can find the file you need quickly and efficiently, by browsing the categories and using the file search feature!
  • You can rate the files, see which files are most popular, and see the newest uploaded files.
  • Can download files directly by clicking the file's thumbnail at the category file listing page, or within the file details page.
  • Sort files in a category by # of downloads, file name, date added, rating, and last download.
  • Post comments (Note: It's recommended that you still post a thread in the file forum, just like in the past, since the forum is a better place for feedback and support. Just be sure to link to your file entry in the database in the post instead of linking to the file directly.)
  • In the future, we might include the newest files list (and maybe the most popular files) to the main page.
An example file listing is the Civ4 Patches & Official Files where I added all the official files: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=12

Check it out and post in this thread if you have any suggestions, ideas, or comments! :)

Happy modding!

=====================================
CivFanatics File Database FAQ v1.1
Last Updated: 7/31/2006

My file is already uploaded to the uploads folder using Easy Upload or is attached to a forum post, do I need to upload the file again when adding the file to the File Database?

No. The File Database allows you to provide a URL to the file. You would need to provide the file size (in bytes) for linked files.

You can use Google to convert file size to bytes easily. For example, if your file is 17.5 MB, just type "17.5 MB to bytes" and hit search. Google will return "17.5 megabytes = 18 350 080 bytes". Then you just copy and paste the number, then remove the spaces in it. If your file size number has spaces or commas, the system will not record the file size.

Does this mean I don't need to create a thread in the creation forum for my file since the system allows comments?

It's still recommended that you create a thread for your file in the creation forum, because forum is better for discussion and feedback than the comments feature.

When you release a new file, a good way to do it is first add the file to the File Database, then create a thread in the creation forum. In your post, you should link to the file entry in the File Database. This way you can keep track of the number of downloads for your file. Linking to the file directly in your file's forum thread is strongly discouraged.

What is the system's built-in file upload feature's max upload file size and the allowed file types?

10 MB. The file types allowed are: zip rar ace tar gz 7z txt pdf

Why does my file's status show up as "unapproved"?

Currently users who have been here for 30 days and have 30 posts (same as custom avatar requirements) can add files without going through the file approval process. Files added by users who don't satisfy the requirements require approval before they are available for download.

How can I add a thumbnail for my file?

The first image you upload automatically becomes your file's thumbnail image.

Can I update a file's info after it's added?

You can edit the file by going into the file details page for the file. There is an "Edit File" link next to the big download link.

I tried to upload a unit by an author that no longer visits and it says in my profile that it's one of my files?

This is not a bug. The uploader can control/edit the file he uploaded, not the author. This is because the author field doesn't need to be a forum user name (ex. Firaxis Games, Microprose), while the uploader must be a member. If the author becomes active again, his files can be assigned back to him easily, so don't let this prevent you from adding files created by inactive modders.

When I try to include an forum image attachment in the description using

Nice job TF :goodjob:

It will make it easier to get mods now ! :D

Very cool! :goodjob:

Are you planning on adding a civ2 section for scenarios or is that not needed since it's one file, or am I simply missing it?

Eventually I will add a Civ2 section. I would need helpers to add those Civ2 files to the database though. The good thing is the system allows that. :)

Some Civ2 files come in a few files (ex. sound files separate), it may be necessary to combine them into one, or list the other files in the description post for people to download...

Also I tried to download something quickly after I downloaded the civscaling tool and it complained that I was speeding. (great message, by the way, much better than "you have exceeded your alloted number of downloads in this time period" or something of that sort! :p ) but what is the time limit exactly?

Edit: Also (sorry, the ideas are flowing and it's impossible to stop!) is there someway that where you have in a user profile "find all posts"/"find all threads of this user" you could have "find all files by this user", or is that something hardcoded into the board?

Nifty! This is very helpful. I can't wait until the Civ2 section comes up.

Thunderfall, what's the max file size we can upload?

TheLopez said:
Thunderfall, what's the max file size we can upload?
The built-in upload allows 2 MB I think. That's always the setting on the forum server.

I likely could get Telefragged to bump it to 5 MB though. They don't want to set the limit too high due to forum server space and bandwidth concerns.

I also installed an new easy upload system but unfortnately can't get it to work on the forum server yet, even though it worked flawlessly on my local computer's test forum. That system would have allowed me to allow much bigger file uploads and let users manage their own uploaded files.

Very nice. One small interface tidbit (Me? Interface compaint? Never!)

When you're editting the description of a file, to save the changes you need to click "Add file", which just seems confusing.

Other than that, though, I think that this answers many peoples calls! :goodjob:

People should try to upload an image for their files more often. Even if it's a generic screenshot of the code. ;)

What do you guys think about approval process, btw? On or Off?

With approval on, we could at least make sure the file is posted to the correct category and that the download link is valid. For example, Dionysius used [attach]some attach#[/attach] for his map file, which is not a valid download link, since the system doesn't parse the bb code in the download link field. Approval of course means people need to wait for it to be approved before they can download the file....

DaveMcW said:
Instead of approval, how about a "report this file" button. ;)
I agree. I think a "report bad link/file" button, or some such thing would be much better. For modders it would mean the files are there instantly, and for you it will mean not having to check every single one but only the ones reported - it's a win-win :D

Oh and can I just say that this is totally awesome! :goodjob:

Now that I'm creating files I think this is incredible as well. Thanks.

Just enabled comments in the File Database...as a test.

I also have added a link to the File DB in the forum nav bar, the main site nav bar, and also within the Civ3/Civ4 Creation forums.

Rabbit said:
Oh and can I just say that this is totally awesome!
I think the system is especially cool for unit makers, since you can add your units and people can see them from the thumbnail listing at a glance. The search feature also makes it unncessary to have personal unit libraries anymore. :)

Thunderfall said:
I think the system is especially cool for unit makers, since you can add your units and people can see them from the thumbnail listing at a glance. The search feature also makes it unncessary to have personal unit libraries anymore. :)

Wow, perfect. I didn't start my unit library yet. Timing is everything. :)

I like this very much.

Top Bottom