graphic engine sillyness

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by kattana, Nov 14, 2005.

1. kattana

kattana Warlord

so last week there was 3 of us doing a 4 day lan gaming session all around civ4...a total blast.

but during one game while one of us was trying to take over a city, another one was zoomed out looking at "the world" and when the cities mech infantry shot its little laser beams, or what ever that is, he watched as those little beams flew from one side of the game world to the other, this on a large sized map.

makes me wonder if that might be part of the whole "memory leak" thingy. unneeded graphics rendering.

and on another rant...tell me WHY?? a small sized map with 6 players needs 1.2GB of memory between physical and VM ??

and...of the 3 of us, they both had 1GB of ram, and i had 2GB of ram. I only once through the entire 4 days crashed to desktop, but it was a map that crashed ALL of us at the exact same time and did the exact same thing when loading a save..oh well. but they on the other hand, crashed a LOT on large maps when it was in the later stages of the game, ie map revealed and lots of units.

2. JakeCourtney

JakeCourtney Villain

I know, there is certainly a problem here.

3. Dida

Dida YHWH

When I swap map with an AI leader, the game almost always crashes afterwards. I have refrained from trading world map now.

4. Kolyana

Kolyana Czarina

Trading world maps is incredibly resource intensive ... I have a decent system and it hasn't crashed yet, but MY GOD it'll bog down when swapping maps: I've sat there for a minute or so before now while the game performs it's little update. There *has* to be a better way to code this sort of thing.

5. meel

meel Chieftain

More importantly, why do Mech Infantry shoot light sabers at their enemies in the first place instead of using them correctly? Can they be upgraded to Jedi, will that be in the expansion?

6. Sadan01

Sadan01 Conical Flask

What graphics card do you have (or more specifically, how much memory do you have on the card?)? I have exactly the same problem but only when playing a large or huge map and world maps are traded. Standard and below it seems fine. I have a Ti4600 (128Mb). It especially happens when I start scrolling across the new-found world.

For some reason, I just seem to think that it has something to do with the memory on the graphics cards, thus the question. I dont have any reasoning however to back this statement up.

7. screwtype

screwtype Warlord

I don't know, but I saw a similar glitch in my own game the other day.

I don't remember how exactly I got it to happen but it involved selecting a group of axemen. I selected them and scrolled across the map to their intended destination, and then I saw this bunch of axemen running across the map.

So I watched them and they ran right across the entire map, from one side of the world to the other, then finally stopped in the tile where the axemen were that I had originally selected.

I was able to do this three or four times in a row.

8. asmodeus81

asmodeus81 Chieftain

In my last game, I had lots of units stationed outside an enemy city after landing my invasion force on their continent, I'd attack and my unit would dissappear, then the defenders would start running off across the ocean, over off the screen, then the battle would resolve and my units would reappear back in the square they attacked from. It seemed to happen randomly, and didn't affect anything except look weird. Capturing the city worked fine too.

9. narmox

narmox Emperor

I think it happens at the edge of the map - because even though it looks like a globe or whatever, it's still a rectangle, so there is an edge to it. The world isn't round! ;)