[Graphical Bug] eject symbol blocks out part of screen while playing

valavir

Chieftain
I just found my copy of smac/x, because I just recently found out there were patches for the game (normally I play without patches).

Now, when i'm playing a normal game WITHOUT any sort of patch or mod, the game looks and runs fine. No problem.

But, if I install the smax 2.0 patch, part of the screen is blocked with an eject symbol as long as i'm playing. The eject symbol is the same one that pops up whenever a disc is ejected with the media ejection button on a mac, except that it has a black background instead of a transparent one.

It blocks out the important parts of the game menu while i'm playing and is generally obnoxious. I really want to install a fan-made unofficial patch, but it requires that I install the smax 2.0 patch first! I haven't found a solution yet and i've been searching for hours already.

I use windows xp, service pack 3, on a bootcamp partition of a mac mini. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Update: loaded the game up with the patches and everything, the eject symbol wasn't showing up for some reason.

So I started a game up, and everything worked fine until I completed my first project.

The video played perfectly, but at the end of it the eject icon was blocking the screen again! Saving was a hassle because the symbol blocked out the middle of the screen, and I couldn't tell which button was save or cancel at first.

I quit the game and restarted it, the eject symbol shows up now. It might be related to directX, but i'm no expert.

Edit: I usually play with the disc in the drive. If I eject the disc, the eject symbol disappears normally.

I could try that, thanks!

I also found a workaround, but it's a hassle and probably isn't good for the disc drive:

If I insert a disc and then eject it, the eject symbol disappears. But it reappears whenever a movie plays, so basically I have to go through this process whenever the game starts up, I complete a project, I make a breakthrough, or I destroy a faction (this happens a lot).

Top Bottom