1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GRAPHICS] BouncyMischa Fantasy and Sci-Fi Building Models

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Graphics modpacks' started by bouncymischa, Sep 9, 2014.

1. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

While I've noticed a number of new resource graphics in the forums, there hasn't been many threads with models for improvements and the like. And, in particular, while I know there are some talented models who make unique improvement models for historical civs, there have been a definite lack of anything futuristic or fantastical. For my own fictional mods, I've been working to convert a number of the incredible fantasy and sci-fi building models made for Civ 4, but I wasn't sure if other people were interested.

Still, I have had some people express an interest in some of the models I've been working with, so I figure I'll use this thread to post them so others can make use of them.

Fantasy Buildings

Mage's Tower, Temple of Good, Temple of Evil

Spoiler :

Art and improvement files available here.

Blighted Mushrooms, Bloodfire Crystals, Insect Hives

Spoiler :

Art and improvement files are available here.

Originally posted here.

Blighted Mushrooms Farm, Bloodfire Pools, Insect Hives Camp

Spoiler :

Improvements for the above three resources. The mod includes the models for the original resources as well.

Art and improvements are available here.

Spirit Cage, Necromancer's Tomb, Necromancer's Tower, Unholy Temple, Soul Foundry

Spoiler :

Originally posted here.

Futuristic Buildings

Futuristic/Alien Arcology, Subspace Beacon/Alien Subspace Beacon, Psi Gateway, Wind Traps, Solar Farm

Spoiler :

Originally posted here.

Industrial Site, Hydroponics Dome, High-Energy Research Centre, Network Node, Communications Array, Grey Goo

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Art and improvement files (including the "grey goo" resource) are available here.

Originally posted here.

2. Kiang

Kiang Eternally Tired

No kidding! =D
    Thanks so much for posting this; it looks like it'll be super useful, especially for the rest of us working on fantasy/fictional mods/civs.

3. bouncymischa

Here's three models for fantasy buildings I've converted, originally done for Civ 4 by Walter Hawkwood:

Mage's Tower, Temple of Good, Temple of Evil

Art and improvement files available here.

Figured out the error I'd made with the Temple of Good (I'd gotten the textures mixed up), and so it's looking better now. Still a bit bland, but maybe I can tweak it a bit to add some features.

4. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Super! Can't wait to see more. :clap:

Probably not useful for these three, but I wonder if some of the existing animations might be useful for other fantasy improvements. (I'm thinking specifically of the flame on the Great Lighthouse...)

5. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

huh, the "Temple of Good" looks perfect for the Spiral Minaret.

6. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

I really love the Temple of Evil - I can just imagine some evil magician climbing to the top and summoning hordes of demons and monsters from that circle at the summit.
    The Mage's Tower, frankly, looks about to blast off to me. I guess you did say Fantasy and Sci-fi improvements, but I always pictured Mage's Tower's as being kind of round, tall, thin, and kind of run-down.
    Any chance of one like that?

7. bouncymischa

Well, that probably would be because the original model was from a set of middle eastern temples, so it's undoubtably based on the Spiral Minaret. <.<;

At some point I'd like to try and make it a bit more fantasy, but for the time being I chose it because it seemed to make a good parallel with the spiral construction of the "Temple of Evil".

In terms of sci-fi buildings, I have plans to upload the various 'labs' I made from Lord Tirian's graphics, as well as some other items like solar panels, factories, and so on. I suppose the Mage's Tower does have a futuristic look to it, though. X3

I haven't been able to find much that suits the more classic style of wizard's tower, but there is a cylindrical, run down tower in the undead buildings I've got... I'll make a note to convert it to see what people think.

8. bane_

bane_ Howardianism High-Priest

9. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Ancient Alien

Cant say more:goodjob:

10. bouncymischa

Well, it's been a while since I got my last models completed... but I've been busy trying to get some spooky-looking models done in time for Halloween! The first set I've completed is some models for Pazyryk's Chronicles of Ea, that will hopefully be useful as resource or improvement models for blighted areas... so it's three creepy resources!

Blighted Mushrooms, Bloodfire Crystals, Insect Hives

Credit has to go to Walter Hawkwood for converting the basic models for the Hives and Bloodfire Crystals for Civ 4, although I did some retexturing and a lot of work rearranging and combining the models to make these. The mushrooms models were made for Civ 4 by Psychic Llamas, although I recolored them to make these ones.

At some point I'd like to get these placed on the blighted ground texture, but I haven't had any luck in converting the .gr2 files for the blight back into Blender so I can combine them, and I'm not entirely sure if I can take the existing blight .gr2 file and import my .fbx into Nexus Buddy to try and merge them... so I'll likely have to wait until someone more skilled with those programs can help me out. In the meantime, though, I figured I'd make the models available for those who might want to mess around with them!

11. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

12. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Wow that's fantastic! When it comes to other 3D Models/Resources - do you think you'll do any animals?

13. bouncymischa

Thanks! I'm not entirely sure if/when I'll be able to do any animal resources -- so far, I've been able to convert inanimate objects because they tend to be fairly simple. So I can do rocks, trees, buildings, and such and scatter them around to make a model. But the Civ IV animal models I've looked at have been fairly complex, with bones and meshes that I don't really know how to convert yet. So for now, I'm sticking with just converting buildings and the like, as I know how to do that and can at least contribute something to the community. :p

At some point, though, I'd like to start learning how to convert complex models like that, as well as learn how to incorporate Civ IV animations into my models, so at that point doing animals will be more feasible. Although I haven't seen too many Civ IV animal models in the downloads section, other than llamas, guinea pigs, and the like...

14. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Careful though bouncymischa: animated resources in Civ5 can't be done by modders.

15. bouncymischa

Ahh, yes... I recall that issue coming up before, limiting animal resources a bit. Although I imagine some people would still be willing to accept static animal resources. I recalled some of the discussion about converting Civ IV unit models allowed you to import Civ IV animations (rather than rig them to exising Civ V animations), so my brain glitched and I thought it was possible now to import Civ IV animations into resource/terrain models.

That at least means I don't have to worry about someday importing the visual effects over with models that I convert, although it's a bit of a shame, since some of the models have really nifty effects. Ah well. At least I'm starting to figure out how to attach Civ 5 effects to converted models, so I can put in a few limited special effects...

16. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

One of the things that really makes me grit my teeth is opening some Civ4 FFH building or improvement and watching streams of lava or fire or sparkling water or gold or what have you fall/spout/run from it. The Civ4 guys had so much more they could do...

17. TPangolin

Hey.... I know it's not like strictly Fantasy/Sci-Fi, but would you consider converting this Caravanserai into a tile improvement? :rolleyes:

18. bouncymischa

Actually, since I have a genie-themed desert civ I made once for personal use, I'd already converted the Caravanserai, Sultan's Palace, Mosque, and Alamut to improvement models to potentially use. My attention's been focused on more Halloween-themed ideas lately (as well as making the models for Pazyryk), so I hadn't posted them yet, but I should be able to post the models either tonight or tomorrow for you!

19. TPangolin

You're a living god!

20. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Bouncymischa, are you holding back for a Halloween surprise?
    (I ask because I am...)