[GRAPHICS] Historical flags for nations: Colonies/Royal force

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Dawn of A New Era' started by Isabelxxx, May 26, 2012.

1. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

This is a complete list of all the nations which had colonies in America at some point with their respective flags for the colonies and the Royal forces.

There are 2 important things to note:
    • Netherlands could be considered in the game as a Republic or Monarchy. According to that we have different flags.
    • Italy has not a proper flag which would fit historically. There were not any Italian colonies (but Italians did colonize America under the flag of Spain & other nations), there were not an Italian State until a period not covered by this game and there were not any official flag since most of the states of Italy was part of the Spanish Empire... Considering that, I have considered the kingdom of Sicily & Naples as the part representative of Italy. That would be the most accurate option.

Flag & Coat of arms have been included if possible; otherwise, no Coat of arms is known or the flag is simply better to be implement in game. The Coat of arms seems to be the best image to be added to the game due to the width/height proportions.

• England
      • Colonies
      • King

• France
      • Colonies

• King

• Italy (Naples & Sicily)
      • Colonies

• King

• Netherlands
      • Colonies

• King

• Republic

• Portugal
      • Colonies

• King

• Spain
      • Colonies
      • King

• Russia
      • Colonies
      • King

• Denmark-Norway
      • Colonies
      • King

• Sweden
      • Colonies
      • King

CONTINUE IN POST 2.

Attached Files:

2. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

• Branderburg-Prussia
      • Colonies
      • King

• Scotland
      • Colonies

• King

• Duchy of Courland
      • Colonies
      • King

Attached Files:

3. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

More images.

Attached Files:

4. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

More images.

Attached Files:

5. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

More images.

Attached Files:

6. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

Nations already added to the game could have these flags instead of the vanilla flags. What do you think? Do I start making the flags?

I will explain later why I added the other nations & their respective flags.

7. M07

M07 Prince

Really good idea! You can start making the flags!
    I feel I'll have some work. :)

8. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Wonderful, good job digging up all the facts! :thumbsup:

9. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

haha.. really you will not have to. Implementation of XML/ART/TEXT do it by myself, in fact that's the reason I asked you about the SDK. You are the only one who can change, try & test some things.

I think that some minor nations are so smaller to be playable. This is something we have to discuss but anyway here are the possibilities:

1) Add some of these nations to the game as playable. For ex there are some "almost historically obligatory": Denmark, Prussia
    Others more optional according to some concepts: Russia, Sweden
    And others as personal enjoyment for some players but historically irrelevant: Scotland, Courtland, etc. No DLL work.

2) Instead of starting in 1492, some of these nations could appear as events later. They would start with some ships & colonist and that minor nation would try to colonize small regions.
    This open a new route to Europe interaction... Requires DLL work.

3) Minor nations as an option to be enabled/disabled in custom games. Those who want them will only need to check the option. Minimal DLL work.

4) Create new tag for nations where we could adjust the starting time, maps in which these nations would be enabled (so we could disable Russians in Caribbean maps but enable them in Alaska maps; note I'm currently working on maps), etc. Medium DLL work & required to add those tags to the maps & map scripts.

These are just some unpolished ideas which will be discussed later.