1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Issues

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mare Nostrum' started by Ekmek, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

2. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator

I'd just like to point out that posting/using copyrighted artwork can be problematic. Please try to get permission from the original creator(s) before posting such.

Link to it: fine. Use it as a base jumping off point for your own artwork: fine. Just don't copy it verbatim without at least trying to get permission. And always give appropriate attribution.

3. Ekmek

sure thing padma.

I'm working on the europe screen. I hope Koma can help with this.

4. koma13

koma13 Chieftain

No problem, Ekmek. Send me a copy of your background (without the ocean) and I can make a Europe screen out of it.

5. Ekmek

Has anyone successfully changed the resources that show on the map for C4COL? Koma and I have both independently tried to add the medieval resources in and no matter what we do with the art files we still get the same old ones - please dont tell me they are hard coded.

if we cant figure it out we may have to do some file name editing to make it work :mad:

6. koma13

koma13 Chieftain

Origins mod adds a new lumber resource. ;)

7. koma13

koma13 Chieftain

Europe Screen preview pic (still have to make the positioning and ship icons):

8. Ekmek

9. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Chieftain

I've noticed there is a problem with one of the leaderheads (I already forgot which one!) But it's one based on Pericles. Something seems to be attached incorrectly and it looks funny. In the 1st screenie you can see it in the upper right corner.

Alternately, I've run into some other errors w/ the XML. I placed the mod in Documents/MyGames/Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Colonization/Mods (is that correct, or should I make a mod folder in the program files area?) The first occurs once w/ a schema error after it, and the second occurs multiple times w/ acompaning schema error after it. If I click through these, the splash screen loads up and I can look through the Civilopedia, but when I try loading a mapscript through 'Play Now!' it crashes in after the intializing stage. Is there a certain map I have to play on?

I'm guessing that these errors are related to how Crossover handles programs. I am having problems with upgrading Crossover atm, so once I get through that I should be on track fixing up the XML errors.
    I guess I was just wondering if you have heard anything about these errors or have any input about them.

EDIT: Just a follow-up, it seems these tags are not included in the schema, causing the errors. I don't know why these have not been reported, native Windows must allow these to go by or allow you to draw from other schema files. This is very odd...

Attached Files:

10. koma13

koma13 Chieftain

Do you have Vista or XP. And are you sure you installed the latest firaxis patch (1.01) ?

EDIT:
    Forget question about vista/XP. Try to put mod in program files\Col\Mods.

11. Ekmek

found the missing wine dds - it was in the shared folder

redid the olive nif so it fits in the tile. they'll be in BETA 0.03

12. koma13

koma13 Chieftain

Great! But we need a better way to implement the new resources (imho). Old resources are still in and showing up in wb, just not placed by map scripts.

I'll try to finish new europe screen till tomorrow, anything in mind I should focus next?

13. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Those missing tags are patch tags. You'll have to install the patch (not sure if there's a mac patch though).

14. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Chieftain

Thanks, Dale, I kind of figured that. Koma told me that the current patch doesn't do a cd check, so I'm in the clear with the new patch. (FYI there is no Mac Colonization, I'm just using Crossover; a WINE program that allows Windows programs to run on Mac computers. I have to get around the cd check to make it run, so I used a crack until the new version came out.)

15. Flintlock1415

Flintlock1415 Chieftain

I've gone through and wrote down all of the buttons that need to be made, so I'll start in on that tonight.
    I also made up a list of models that need to be changed as far as units and buildings are concerned. This isn't a complete list, just some of the things I thought were out of place and not very medditeranean. I'll list those here and you can tell me if you have any of these in the works.

Spoiler :
    Units
    *Converted Barbarian
    *Galley
    *Quinquereme

Buildings
    *Ampitheatre
    *Barracks
    Metal Shop
    Odeon
    *Olive Oil House, Press and Shop
    *Pasture
    *Pottery Building, House, and Shop
    *Temple
    *Tutor's House

Somewhat OT here, but I just thought the unit 'Pot Dealer' was hillarious! :smoke: :lol:

16. Ekmek

the converted barbarian i made a blonde kid because of the way rome used hostage of chieftain's kids. Should just make it a the euro settler (but blonde)? I tried to keep the barbs blonde (sterotyped germanic) and the colonizers brunettes (sterotyped dark hair) just to distinguish.

I'll start on the buildings - thats where I'm going.
    Yeah iwas trying to think f a name and came with that. Glad you appreciate my sarcasm.

Maybe the technologies? or the other interface screens? I'll go to buildings. I'm not sure I want t o monkey with te Lystem yet.

17. koma13

koma13 Chieftain

Ok, when Europe screen is finished, I start with the technology screen. Any ideas for changes of interface/input behaviour in comparison with FF screen or only graphical redo?

18. Ekmek

I was thinking of making it more like a civ4 tech tree. another option is maybe make it look like a library with each scroll a technology :dunno:

19. Ekmek

Ok, just a little sign of progress... I started replacing the buildings you mentioned first Flitlock.

I've also worked on the Master Potter and gave him an amphora to differentiate him better.

Koma, I've also fixed the bonus xml to not generate the old bonuses - so far so good. On that topic I'll eventualy limit what bonuses appear and get rid of the yields that show up on tiles. I think sheep, grapes, olives etc should be planted by the player. Not just there automaically and the yield increased by farms. so I will have to add some TIs.

20. Ekmek

I'm working on the ships now. I think I fixed the coracle to look better. I switched the pirate onesail (trireme with one sail) and the galley's graphics. the galley makes a good pirate ship so the switch makes sense.