graphics-light or resource-light version?

m15a

Emperor
i bet this has been asked but i did some searches and couldn't find anything. anyway, i was wondering about the possibility of a graphics-light or resource-light version of civ 4. one that could possibly work on slower computers with worse video cards. has anything like that been tried? or is anyone working on something along those lines? or if someone can explain why this would be impossible, that'd be useful, too.

thanks.

If you start the game, under the Options off the Main Menu you will be able to set graphics detail to low. Play around with the options there and you should be able to set CIV to better work on your machine.

thanks, shqype. but i'm thinking more of a major graphical mod. would it be impossible to replace the graphics with non-animated graphics or 2d?

I think you can turn off animations, as well as have single-figure units. There is no way to play the game completely in 2D, though.

Try looking at the .ini file and tweaking the settings in there, too, if you haven't.

maybe i'm not being clear or maybe i'm asking an obvious dumb question, or maybe just a question to which the answer is "no". but i'm not asking, "how do i get civ 4 to work on my computer", rather if there is any work being done in the modding community for a light version of civ 4.

maybe, beyond tweaking the settings, there's really no way to save much more on computer resources?

m15a said:
maybe i'm not being clear or maybe i'm asking an obvious dumb question, or maybe just a question to which the answer is "no". but i'm not asking, "how do i get civ 4 to work on my computer", rather if there is any work being done in the modding community for a light version of civ 4.

maybe, beyond tweaking the settings, there's really no way to save much more on computer resources?

I don't know of a mod that does what you suggest. The task of "making the game run better" has largely been left to Firaxis.

m15a said:
No there isn't.
m15a said:
There are loads of ways you could make the game run faster. You could, for example, go through all the image files and lower the resolution of them all. Alternatively you could use the "counter units" to make your own super-low poly units.

You could probably mod the graphics of the game down to almost nothing.

thanks. unfortunately, i don't really know much about graphics software so i can't really contribute anything. but thanks for the info anyway.

The graphics are controlled by the core engine graphics. It is fully impossible to revert back to 2d.

Top Bottom