1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics messed up after latest patch

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by qadams, Apr 21, 2017.

1. qadams

qadams Bohemian

So I just got done downloading the Macedon/Persia update, but when I went to start a game I got this weird thing where the graphics are messed up, specifically some bright blue splotches (see screenshot). I tried disabling all the mods I had installed, but that didn't help.

Anybody else having this problem? I'm playing on a late-2011 MacBook Pro, and haven't had any issues at all with Civ 6 until now. Very frustrating.

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 2.37.27 PM.png

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

That's strange. Did you check if the settings in game were changed automatically? I play on a 2012 macbook pro and it is still looking as usual/expected.

3. qadams

qadams Bohemian

What settings do you mean?

4. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Maybe the GPU selection, or activated Anti-aliasing, Lighting, Bloom, V-Sync, Shader, whatever.

5. qadams

qadams Bohemian

As far as I can tell, all the settings are the same as before. It says my version of the game is 1.0.0.129 -- is that the one it should be?

6. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

yes, the version is the newest.

7. qadams

qadams Bohemian

I really don't know what to do... do you think I should delete the game from my hard drive and try to download it again from Steam? Is that advisable? Or even possible?

8. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Before deleting and reinstalling (you can do that), you should try revalidating your game files through Steam -- go to your Steam library, choose Civ VI, then Properties, then the Local Content tab, and then Verify Integrity of Game Cache (I'm assuming the Mac version of Steam navigates the same way the Windows version does).

Steam will check all of your game files and download any missing files and replacements for any files that are corrupt or otherwise don't match the "official" game files. If any files do download, we recommend repeating the process until Steam no longer downloads any files and reports that all game files are up to date.

jpinoniemi and qadams like this.
  9. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

10. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Crap. I tried that, but no files were replaced and the graphics are still all messed up. Next step, I guess, is to re-install?

11. Publius Aelius Hadrianus

Publius Aelius Hadrianus Chieftain

I have exactly the same problem and I and using the same computer. It started right after updating to the new patch.

I have also tried everything, from reinstalling to change the graphics options (that are the default ones) and unsubscribe to all the MODs unsuccessfully. It s really bizarre that they are messing up with the graphics well after releasing the game.

I have contacted Aspire. Please let me know if you have any answer from them!

Attached Files:

qadams likes this.
  12. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Well, at least I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Most likely there are others too. I hope we can get a solution soon!

13. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

The problem is that Aspyr will probably tell you that MacBooks that old aren't supported any more or something like that. But I hope there is a workaround or fix for that!

14. Wim Peeters

Wim Peeters Chieftain

The exact same problem here after the update :(

Attached Files:

15. Redoctob88

Redoctob88 Chieftain

Same issue here. Older MacBook Pro but everything was running well until the Macedonia update. Nothing I do to change the graphics helps to eliminate empty blue pixel patches throughout the game. Seems like a bug rather than graphics issue because the whole game changed at once.

16. Redoctob88

Redoctob88 Chieftain

Hey was anybody able to find a solution to the graphics issue? Any word from Aspyr?

17. chrisquin

chrisquin Chieftain

I got blue glitches since the spring update. I looked into the Database.log (/home/chris/.local/share/aspyr-media/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/) and saw the following errors:
    [3424872.053] [Gameplay] ERROR: table Colors already exists
    [3424872.053] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while building table Colors from file color_tables.xml.
    [3424872.053] [Gameplay] ERROR: table DiplomacyStatements already exists
    [3424872.053] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while building table DiplomacyStatements from file diplomacy_tables.xml.
    [3424872.053] [Gameplay] ERROR: table LeaderAnimations already exists
    [3424872.053] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while building table LeaderAnimations from file leader_tables.xml.
    [3424872.053] [Gameplay]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...

can somebody with the same error confirm the same errors? And espacially can somebody without errors confirm that they don't have this errors?

18. Redoctob88

Redoctob88 Chieftain

How do you see the database log if I have it in a Mac App Store?

19. Redoctob88

Redoctob88 Chieftain

Contacted Aspyr and got their reply. Apparently the issue only occurs with El Capitan Mac users. Upgrading IOS system to Sierra fixes it. Did that and graphics returned to normal. Problem solved! Happy war/peacemongering to all...

iamliberal, borad and qadams like this.
  20. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Hmm, okay. I've been holding off on a Sierra upgrade for some reason, but maybe now I'll go ahead and try it.

Thanks for the report!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017