1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics needed - Stone resource

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Shaitan, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

I've added the "stone" resource to the British Isles mod. Currently it uses a graphic from resource.pcx that looks like three big rocks. It's very cheesy. I'd like a graphic that looks like a stone quarry. I'm imagining an oblique look at an inverted grey cube with rectangular blocks of stone lying around (so it will look like it is cut into the mountain). Another idea was a partially built wall of grey blocks. Anybody interested? I will need the graphics for the civilopedia as well.

2. zbear

zbear Chieftain

The stone resource will be in which kinds of terrain (besides hills)?

3. zbear

zbear Chieftain

Here is a cubic quarry with some chunks carved out, on a mountain and a hill.

Please tell me how you want it changed. I could take out the dark back wall on the upper left.

Close view:

Attached Files:

• cle.gif
      cle.gif
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
  4. zbear

zbear Chieftain

Far view:

Attached Files:

• fsr.gif
      fsr.gif
      File size:
      13.1 KB
      Views:
  5. zbear

zbear Chieftain

More like your “unfinished wall” idea, here is an icon of nondescript stone blocks, inspired by Kal-el’s resources.pcx jade icon.

Close view:

Attached Files:

• cle.gif
      cle.gif
      File size:
      63.9 KB
      Views:
  6. zbear

zbear Chieftain

Far view:

Attached Files:

• fsr.gif
      fsr.gif
      File size:
      22.6 KB
      Views:
  7. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

I like them both! I think the nondescript stone blocks fit better with the game graphics. They seem a bit easier to identify as stone.

Currently stone is found only in mountains. Playtesting might move it to hills as well. This stone resource represents granite, marble, etc. High tectonic formed, dressable stone.

Thanks for the help. Can't wait for the finished product!

There's another one I need help on as well. I've also got the hardwoods resource and the in-game graphic is fine. It's the stack of rough-cut trunks from resource.pcx. I need a compatible graphic for the civilopedia. Can you help with that also?

8. ahenobarb

ahenobarb Chieftain

"More like your “unfinished wall” idea, here is an icon of nondescript stone blocks, inspired by Kal-el’s resources.pcx jade icon. "

Actually, Kal-el's graphic imposes a jade buddha graphic over my original "marble" graphic from the "mass culture" modpack. Just a minor point, alot of my stuff is being recycled now and others are getting credited for it, but its nice to see the ideas still flowing.

9. mizaq

mizaq Chieftain

here is what i use for the civilopedia entry for timber

students.washington.edu/mizaq/images/timbersmall.pcx
    students.washington.edu/mizaq/images/timberlarge.pcx

10. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Mizaq,

The small pic looks okay but the big one is very blocky. I tried manipulating it but without success. (Probably because I'm an absolutely horrible artist)

11. zbear

zbear Chieftain

Point taken, ahenobarb. I am going to check out your mod pack, I had read about it but never looked closely at its graphics. Your original “marble” graphic itself may be the best icon for Shaitan’s stone resource, without any modification.

12. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Ahenobarb, I'm unable to find the Mass Culture mod. From what I gather it was removed? Would you be willing to email it to me (or at least the marble graphics)? My email is jrpea@bellsouth.net. Like zbear said, this might be exactly what we need.

13. Shockwave

Shockwave Evil Decepticon

Are either of these two stones any good?

Top left and Bottom right for the graphics :)

14. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Both good and very recognizable as stone (and worlds better than what I have now) but I'm looking to convey dressed stone or a quarry.

15. Shockwave

Hows about this?

The JPEG compression has blurred it a bit, but you can get the rough idea.. IMO it's too dark if you want I can try and lighten it and see the effect...

And this is the Quarry I made in Bryce

16. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Fantastic! How does it look on a mountain? The darker color might be necessary for the grey mountain. Oops. Check that. Regular mountain is brown, isn't it? A bit lighter would probably work with both mountain colors, for those that are using off colored mountains. Can you check it against a grey and a brown mountain?

That is beautiful work!

17. Shockwave

Ok Shaitan, I'll have a play about after the weekend since I'm out of town until Sunday night, I'll post up some quarrys and a resources.pcx with them all on for you to look at

18. mizaq

mizaq Chieftain

shockwave, put up a pcx with those two that you've already shown would ya please? (hell, throw them in with the stuff you make over the weekend when you get back on sunday).

19. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Sweet. Could you go one step farther? I'd like to use your resources in the mod instead of the ones from the game. Could you use yours as a base and include the stack of wood logs from resource.pcx in position 23 (+1 shield, strategic resource) and the quarry in position 24 (+1 commerce, strategic resource)? That's assuming you don't mind if I include yours in the mod, of course.

20. Shockwave

How do these look?

mizaq, I'll add the two stones to the finished pcx for the British isles mod for you :)