Graphics that never made it into RaR

Schmiddie

Emperor
Hey folks,

It is great to see that there is activity and a new mod that continues the history of TAC and RAR.

I have some unit graphics and building graphics that never made it into the RaR mod. However, i like these models and it is a pitty that there was no opportunity to implement them. If you like to use one of these graphics please let me know:

Surgeon (more versions available)

Sappeur (more versions available)

Packhorse with settler

Pyrotechnist

Saline (3 versions, small, middle and big, available)

Roasting facility (3 versions available)

I have more graphics for units (pirates, sailors, military, settler) on my hard disk. Please let me know if you are searching for a new graphic for new units.

Kind regards

Schmiddie

Attachments

• surgeon.jpg
    surgeon.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,090
  • sappeur.jpg
    sappeur.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,046
  • packhorse.jpg
    packhorse.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,075
  • pyrotechnist.jpg
    pyrotechnist.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,110
  • saline1.png
    saline1.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 1,059
  • saline3.png
    saline3.png
    295.8 KB · Views: 990
  • roesterei_3.jpg
    roesterei_3.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,080
  • roesterei_2.jpg
    roesterei_2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,087
Don't know if you ever thought about pirates. I made these models some time ago for another mod that never has been finished...

If you ever played Pirates you may know these models :)

They all have Col2 animations and some have been improved as well.

I had thought maybe a solution to pirates being unbalanced as part of barbarian civ, making them a separate unique civ (like the barely used "archbishop" civ) and letting them raid settlements and be turned on/off separately from animals in setup? I'm sure it'd be a bit of work but could offer fun gameplay

I had once intended to implement a "real AI Pirat-Barbarian-Civ".

My issues with this however always was:

Implementing a well done, bugfree and interesting AI-bevahiour is an incredible amount of effort.
(raiding a ship OR raiding a city - retreating ot a "port city" - selling the goods OR slaves - raiding a ship OR ...)
It does sound very simple, but it isn't.

You also need to consider balancing according to game progress.
They need to be weak early on and get tougher later on.
Otherwise they are either totally overpowered or just cannon fodder - which is neither fun nor worth the effort to implement.

You also need to consider that other AI-Players need to be able to handle it as well.
(Of course there are easy ways to make them attack human players only. But do you want that ?)

If you keep it simple this is just another "Wild Animals on water".
There actually already is a simple DLL-event like this in RaR.
(It used to start at about round 100 and was using a simple spawning ship only.)

Of course, this "real AI Pirat-Barbarian-Civ" could be an interesting feature though.

Last edited:
letting them raid settlements and be turned on/off separately from animals in setup?
26:27 talks about why raiding settlements and blockades are bad, particularly if they feel like random events.

43:20 talks about setup options. We need the right number of options, not just as many as possible. I want to add a map option telling the colony catchment radius. Both 1 and 2 radius have a fanbase, meaning both are here to stay, but the pick and move DLL approach isn't working well. This makes perfect sense to add this as an option. Adding options for animal AI behavior will not add as much. The casual player might not even know what the options mean and will be drowned in unknown options.

If we are to make optional AI features like that, maybe the best approach is to not ask the player, but rather make them settings in the handicap xml file. This way we don't ask the player for each detail, but if the player picks a harder difficulty level, then the AI will learn new tricks. This means when new players start to play, they pick the easiest difficulty level and the AI is dumb. Once they figured out the game, learned the units etc, they pick a harder level and then the AI has more abilities. If a player will control the AI behavior specifically, that player can edit the xml file in question for complete control. This seems like a much better solution than presenting the player will all kinds of micro management options for the AI.

Last edited:
I just remembered me that I made these respectively imported these for Col2 some time ago...

Bandits/Marauders

Officer

Other

Attachments

• Marodeure.jpg
    Marodeure.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 481
  • Colonel.png
    Colonel.png
    314.8 KB · Views: 465
  • edelmann.png
    edelmann.png
    221 KB · Views: 401
  • man.jpg
    man.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
There seems to be a problem with the graphics. I can only see the placeholders.

Hm, nice. :thumbsup:

Most of those were of course made for "TAC Tortuga" - a pirate themed mod (which was never published).
But maybe we can do something with some of them in the future. :think:

Top Bottom