Great Admiral

Howard Mahler

Since Civ 1
Is possible to split off the great general points that are the result of naval battles into instead great admiral points?
Then great admirals would eventually appear, and have some abilities, depending on what it is possible to program.

Just an idea to consider, if it is at all possible.

Is possible to split off the great general points that are the result of naval battles into instead great admiral points?
Then great admirals would eventually appear, and have some abilities, depending on what it is possible to program.

This sounds like a good idea to me.

Whilst we are here, could a Harbour give +4XP to Naval vessels? As it is, it is a lot more difficult for naval vessels to traverse the promotions tree than it is for land units, and this makes for dull navies.

I would be surprised if it were possible to do this- also, you'd need a game with a LOT of naval combat for 'great admirals' to appear in noticeable numbers.

I would be surprised if it were possible to do this- also, you'd need a game with a LOT of naval combat for 'great admirals' to appear in noticeable numbers.

It might be possible but I can't imagine it would be easy to implement. I'd have to do some research. As Simon mentions, there'd probably need to be some other changes to naval engagement to make it worth the effort. I'll add it to the todo/research list but it'll be low priority.

This sounds like a good idea to me.

Whilst we are here, could a Harbour give +4XP to Naval vessels? As it is, it is a lot more difficult for naval vessels to traverse the promotions tree than it is for land units, and this makes for dull navies.

Early XP for ships has been mentioned a few times, I thought it was on my todo list but it seems to have fallen off at some point by accident. It's a good idea though I'm not sure that placing it on the Harbour is ideal. Seems like a new building candidate, I'll have a look at the available art and see if anything makes sense.

I think having the Harbor and/or Lighthouse grant +1 XP to naval units would be nice- it's not a big bonus, but it helps considerably given that a warship may only fight a few battles in its career. The "Venetian Arsenal" wonder should have a civilization-wide +2 XP or so to naval units, or a larger bonus to naval units built in that city (like a seafaring West Point) as well.

It might be desirable to take the Drydock bonus and split it up over two or three buildings, with a fully upgraded port 'establishment' (Harbor, Drydock, Lighthouse, ???) being able to grant as much as +5 XP to naval units, the same way that Barracks+Stables grants +5 XP to cavalry.

The number of naval battles obviously depends on the map type.

I like the idea of an early building such as a Shipyard to give some experience points to ships.
Maybe a small bonus to experience and a small bonus to speed of building ships.

One ability of an admiral could be an increase of withdrawal probability. Both when attacking-and-retreating and when defending-and-surviving. Either less damage is taken in a naval fight, but the involved ship remains on the same spot, or the ship moves (as a full grown Python retreat feature) with a certain amount of damage rearwards. In other words, the presence of an admiral in a stack possibly extends your fleet's life span. You could interpret that as a certain mastery in navigation, experience, caution, foresight, etc..

Wouldn't just 'warlording' a Great General onto a naval unit enable this? Give the ship Flanking I, II, and Tactics, and it's got a pretty good withdrawal chance.

Top Bottom