1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Artist: What should I do with this guy?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by todd_10, Jan 25, 2013.

1. todd_10

todd_10 Chieftain

Here's where I'm at:

Spoiler :

Being relatively new to this series, I don't really have any idea if he's of any use now, or if I should hold off on using him. I've had a bit of a look around, and alot of people are of the opinion of saving him for later in the game, incase I need to have him culture boost another city or something...

2. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

Well till right after a golden age and then spawn another golden age or build a landmark for culture. P.S what are mod are using.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Option 1: Start a Golden Age, which pumps up production, money, and culture. You can use that increase to build up your army, build buildings, settlers, or wonders.

Option 2: Make a tile Improvement. This will cause the city's borders to expand more quickly and also contribute to your Social Policies.

Personally, I'd do option 1, but not until your next Golden Age starts naturally, which looks like it will start in less than 6 turns or so. That way you end up with an extra long Golden Age.

4. Brichals

Brichals King

I'd do this too. That mod looks great!

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Looks like the SmoothPack mod.

6. ragan651

ragan651 High Regent of Candlewick

One of the ways I use great people is in the early game, I make the tile improvements. The long term benefits make up for the loss of the instant effect. Unless I have a particular need for something.

So if I have a great artist, and my economy is trashed, or I need a boost in production, or something, I'll do a golden age. Normally, I would rather have a landmark placed near my best culture producing city. Also (as people have said), increasing culture increases border growth.

Late in the game, however, the tile improvements aren't worth as much because there isn't as much time to gain from them (they are still useful, but not as useful). By then your natural golden ages will be harder to come by, and you'll want your great artists for that.

In the pic you posted, if it were me, I would put a landmark either on that empty space between the cities, or on that jungle tile (landmarks instantly remove marsh, forest, and jungle). Probably the jungle.

7. Civking5

Civking5 Prince

I use them for golden ages mostly. What is the mod you are using? Please tell.

8. Biologist

Biologist Researcher

It looks a bit like the Copasetic UI mod I used to use, but I haven't found a version compatible with G&K.

9. bagas12

bagas12 Chieftain

Its is R.E.D + GEM . I think

10. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Personally, I'd wait the 5 turns* the natural golden age will start and then use the Great Artist to extend the Golden Age.
    But if your going for a Cultural Victory instead, you'll probably want a landmark.

*That's at current rate; growth in cities might slow it down to 6, and if a city is founded before the Golden Age starts it would increase the threshold needed.

11. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

Use landmarck especialy early on it can get you a lot of social policies especialy useufll if you go honor.

There is no need for a golden age early on currently:

because you don't have to upgrade units and its usaly better if you have more cities

12. crazymarco

crazymarco Chieftain

Landmark as you have good glassland.

BTW, good mod! What's name it is?

13. todd_10

todd_10 Chieftain

Sorry for the late reply guys. It is R.E.D. + Unofficial Patch v2.4.1 + G&K Enhanced Mod v1.13.1 + Luxuty Resource Display.

So consensus seems to be to either use him to increase my upcoming Golden Age, or build a Landmark, possibly between my Capital and Sparta...

14. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

You don't need a golden age right now because :

1 you will get enough sociol policies because you currently only have 2 cities So extra culture is not needed

2 you don't need gold for upgrading units and pretty sure you don't have that many city states who you want to be ally with this early.

3 Golden age are far much better if you have more cities currently its wast . its olso more useufll if you expanded more because it increases sociol policies and at golden ages you get 20% culture so you can get more social policies

4 You are allready getting one pretty soon
    So setttle a landmarck

15. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Well, if your using the GEM mod, then this would be a better question for that forum; there's some different rules compared to base game.