Great Artists - Aren't So Great

lamaros

Warlord
So is it just me, or are great artists the worst of the lot when it comes to the Great People?

They're almost impossible to theme, so their bonuses are lower than others. Great Writers come in early and are easy to store their works without too much investment. Great Musicians come in late and have some handy bonuses and wonders to store their works in if you get a nice run at them.

As it is culture victories are more about wonders and seaside resort/natural park spam (or archeologist spam) than great works, but at least the other great works come in early with indicental commitment, or come in late with a good payoff. Great Artists require an earlier commitment which isn't insignificant, then sit around giving you very little.

Currently the Culture Victory game is a bit underwhelming. The mechanics are not explained or clear, even after looking at them for a while, and the winning strategies mostly seem to be based around combo pieces late game, which is not very interesting to play - or are just incidental to normal play.

I think the bones of the system could be fun, but it needs some work. Especially Great Artists, who could use some more interesting game elements beyond the very weak and uninspired "collect points and then stand around doing nothing as you realise the themeing bonuses are impossible to get". Giving them more interactive powers like the other great people would be a good move.

Last edited:
So is it just me, or are great artists the worst of the lot when it comes to the Great People?

They're almost impossible to theme, so their bonuses are lower than others. Great Writers come in early and are easy to store their works without too much investment. Great Musicians come in late and have some handy bonuses and wonders to store their works in if you get a nice run at them.

As it is culture victories are more about wonders and seaside resort/natural park spam (or archeologist spam) than great works, but at least the other great works come in early with indicental commitment, or come in late with a good payoff. Great Artists require an earlier commitment which isn't insignificant, then sit around giving you very little.
To theme trade with AI.
Or you can sell the great works to the AI if you don't need the culture.

To theme trade with AI.
Or you can sell the great works to the AI if you don't need the culture.

Theming artifacts can work this way, but its very difficult to do it with the artworks, because there are a few different types and often not all the great artists get taken, because the eras move too quickly. More often than not it's impossible to trade to theme, even if you could get the AI to agree. This is especially the case on the higher difficulties. In my last game only three great artists were generated all game - all to me.

I just wish we could store our works without the building. So like have a warehouse in a palace, the pay off would be that you can't get any bonuses (not even the base) from it unless it's on display.

Is there a way to trade Great Works with the AI? So far it seems the AI just refuse any offers for their Great Works (if they are cultural AI, which tend to be the only AI that have Great Works in the first place).

Great Work for another great work is ok for the AI (theming purpose only)

You can trade Great Works, but the AI needs to be willing to do the trade. If they think you've been naughty boy, or if they intend to come take all of your stuff anyway, they may demand an arm and a leg, or refuse to trade at all.

Top Bottom