great artists you would want in bnw.

I believe they've already said they're not using modern musicians because of licensing issues. They'll be going for music that's not under copyright.

Can you imagine the fleet of lawyers they would need to secure the rights to distribution of copyrighted music, not just in the US, but in every country where Civ is sold?

Aztec/Maya/Mexico: Frida Kahlo's "The Two Fridas"
Sor Inez de la Cruz's "La Respuesta"

"Mexico" is not the same as "Aztec" and/or "Maya". I don't think it matters, though, because I've seen nothing to indicate they're trying to make sure the artists match the civs available in the game.

Hmmmmm. Having real trouble naming great artists from Arabian and African civs.

Wole Soyinka. Or, if "no longer alive" is a prerequisite, then sadly Chinua Achebe has recently become eligible.

I would like Pachelbel's Canon in D, Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Smetana's Ma vlast, and many others.

It is unfortunate that Orff died in 1982, since we would have O Fortuna from his Carmina Burana. We will have to wait for 2052 to hear the epic music in perhaps Civilization XIII.

Fortunately, L. Frank Baum died in 1919. Cue the Wizard of Oz!

Tchaikovsky has to be in. I don't care for what, but he's got to be.
Puccini, but for Madame Butterfly and not what someone earlier said.
Hemingway for a Farewell to Arms.
Tolstoy for War and Peace.
Scheharezade for Arabian Nights. :)
Liszt for one of his famous piano concertos or something. (He's a phenomenal composer and one of the best pianists in history.
The Grimm brothers for their fairy tailes.
Does anyone know if they're including performers as well as composers? If so, Maria Callas and Jacqueline Du Pre should be in too.

Kurt Cobain

Mahler's 5th Symphony (a movement of which is already included in the game)

Stravinsky's Rite of Spring

Shostakovich's Leningrad symphony (very much tied into ideologies theme)

Provide some representation for 1900-1950

I really hope they'll put in Thomas Cole and use something from his Course of Empire series--particularly Consummation or Destruction. I'd also be very happy to see John William Waterhouse.

For writers, Rudyard Kipling.

I don't know, every great people will produce only one great work? And if so, we have no artists repeated and hence only one work for each? (Sorry by the english...)

I really hope they'll put in Thomas Cole and use something from his Course of Empire series--particularly Consummation or Destruction. I'd also be very happy to see John William Waterhouse.

Yes! I have a puzzle version of the Consummation and after finishing it I hung it because it's so cool, and it represents civ sort of. Think pastoral is the coolest though.

We're more than a little Western-centric here, aren't we? Let's go by region:

China: Zhang Zeduan's "Along the River During the Qingming Festival"
Tang Xianzu's "Peony Pavilion" (You can have a Chinese opera shot!)

Japan: Murasaki Shikibu's "The Tale of Genji"
Hokusai's "The Great Wave"

India: Valmiki's "Ramayana"
Satyajit Ray's "Apu Trilogy" (precursor to Bollywood!)

Aztec/Maya/Mexico: Frida Kahlo's "The Two Fridas"
Sor Inez de la Cruz's "La Respuesta"
Nezahualcoyotl's "The Flower Songs" (Aztec)
Ah Bam's "The Songs of Dzitbalche" (Maya)

Inca:
Pachacutec's "Sacred Hymns of the Situa"
Daniel Alomía Robles's "El Condor Pasa" (Peru)

Persia:
Jalaluddin Rumi's "Masnavi"
Faruddin-Attar's "The Conference of the Birds" (yeah, this would be a better picture)

Siam:
Sunthorn Phu's "Phra Aphai Mani" (a really trippy epic poem full of mermaids and winged horses)

Polynesia:
Queen Liliʻuokalani's "Aloha Oe"

Brazil:
Clarice Lispector's "The Hour of the Star"
Tarsila do Amaral's "Abaporu"

Hmmmmm. Having real trouble naming great artists from Arabian and African civs. Don't even know enough about Korean culture.

Brazil is Western, and you can certaily do better than Lispector with writers. I'd say Machado de Assis' "The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas" would be the perfect choice.

Can you imagine the fleet of lawyers they would need to secure the rights to distribution of copyrighted music, not just in the US, but in every country where Civ is sold?

I would suspect it would be similar to the fleet of lawyers Harmonix needed to get literally thousands of songs in Rock Band. Smaller, actually, since we're talking the name and maybe a five second cut rather than the full song.

It's certainly possible, the question is if Firaxis is willing to shell out that many resources for some neat flavor. I remember there being an interview that said that a theme bonus could be having every work be from the same era, which would imply that they would need at least some Great Artists (augh Artist is the generic term it would be so much easier if the Civ Great Artists were called Painters but that would exclude sculptors and the like and bluh) from later eras. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong, though.

Brazil is Western, and you can certaily do better than Lispector with writers. I'd say Machado de Assis' "The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas" would be the perfect choice.

Or João Guimarães Rosa's "The Devil to Pay in the Backlands"! (But it'd be easier to avoid copyright disputes with 19th century works.)

I remember there being an interview that said that a theme bonus could be having every work be from the same era, which would imply that they would need at least some Great Artists (augh Artist is the generic term it would be so much easier if the Civ Great Artists were called Painters but that would exclude sculptors and the like and bluh) from later eras. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong, though.

I think they meant "same era" in the sense that "it spawned in the same era in the game". Just as they said there'd be a theme bonus for works from the same civ, even as they were showing Edvard Grieg (a Norwegian) appearing in Poland--in other words, when you spawn a Great Artist/Musician/Writer, which one you get is chosen randomly, and if you use them to create a work, it counts as being from your civ in the era it appeared. So, for example, Shakespeare can spawn in Siam in the Atomic Age, and then Macbeth counts as an Atomic Age Siamese work. At least, that was how I understood it.

A larger version

Pierre Fritel’s 1892 Painting “The Conquerors”

A must have piece of art as one of the new Great Works, imho. :D

Some info about the painting and the artist, http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/the-conquerors.htm and http://aroyking.wordpress.com/2009/05/10/pierre-fritels-ominous-1892-painting-the-conquerors/

He also did many Native American pieces, like An Indian King, Young Toltec Girl and Cotton Spinning from The Ancient Cities of the New World.

The Conquerors

"In the centre of the van rides Julius Caesar, whom Shakespeare has pronounced “the foremost man of all this world.” On his right are the Egyptian called by the Greeks Sesostris, now known to be Rameses II, Attila “the Scourge of God”, Hannibal the Carthaginian, and Tamerlane the Tartar. On his left march Napoleon, the last world-conqueror, Alexander of Macedon, Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon, that “head of gold” in the great image seen in his vision as interpreted by the prophet Daniel, and Charlemagne, who restored the fallen Roman Empire."

This image is a sobering reminder of the harm that has been done during the ages of abusive human rule over the earth.

Top Bottom