Great Athletes

God of Kings

Ruler of all heads of state
I am proposing a new type of great person called "Great Athlete."

Great Athletes can only be recruited using gold or accumulating enough Great Athlete points.

Arenas and stadiums generate Great Athlete points. This would make Entertainment Complexes worth building.

Great Athletes are simply sacrificed for gold and amenities.

Examples of Great Athletes include Usain Bolt (track and field), Wayne Gretzky (ice hockey), Michael Jordan (basketball), Floyd Mayweather Jr. (boxing), Joe Montana (American football), Pele (association football), Michael Phelps (swimming), Babe Ruth (baseball), either Williams sister (tennis), and Tiger Woods (golf).

Please tell me what you think.

@Guandao @Kimiimaro @Phrozen @Xandinho

Last edited:
I mean you could look cross eye at a few of those into being Great Merchants like Jordan, Ruth, Muhammad Ali who basically turned athletic celebrity into a marketing tour de force.

I mean you could look cross eye at a few of those into being Great Merchants like Jordan, Ruth, Muhammad Ali who basically turned athletic celebrity into a marketing tour de force.
Great Athletes can be a sub-class of Great Merchants, albeit generated from Great Athlete points from Arenas and Stadiums in Entertainment Complexes rather than from Commercial Hub buildings for Great Merchants.

Policy cards for Great Athlete point generation could include Collegiate Sports (+2 Great Athlete points per turn) and Development League (+4 Great Athlete points per turn).

The Colosseum and the Maracana Stadium would also generate Great Athlete points. There can be more stadium wonders that primarily generate Great Athlete points, such as Wembley Stadium; a choice of Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, or Rogers Centre; or an Olympic Stadium.

Last edited:
I am in favor of more types of great people, such as Great Diplomat, Great Philosopher and Great Revolutionary. I like the idea of Great Athlete, a kind of great person who generates amenities, is a way to improve the end of the game, because they would probably come later.

I quite like this idea. That could give me a reason to build entertainment districts. Also, I'm not someone who usually goes for Colosseum or Estadio do Maracana, so this could give me a reason to do so.

Also, there are some Czech choices possible :mischief:

Just a sample list:

Jesse Owens
Babe Ruth
Jack Johnson
Jim Thorpe
Christy Mathewson
Joe Louis
Max Schmeling
Muhammad Ali
Johnny Unitas
Red Grange
Maurice 'Rocket' Richard
Gordie Howe
Honus Wagner
Walter Johnson
Lou Gehrig
Stan Musial
Jay 'Dizzy' Dean
Wilt Chamberlain

And here comes the Czech!

Emil Zátopek

(I'm not very interested in sports, so I don't know many great athletes.)

Don Bradman - dead set legend.
Walter Lindrum - they had to change the rules to stop his complete dominance of billiards.
Steve Bradbury - speed skating.

And The Bro of all Bros, John Landy, who achieved instant admiration for this remarkable performance.

Brazil can have +1 Great Athlete point per Street Carnival per turn.

The United States can have +1 Great Athlete point per Campus per turn (it's to reflect the popularity of collegiate sports).

Maradona (after Chemistry).

It's very difficult to find suitable female athletes, since most of them are still alive, but it's always good to find some.

Probably a doomed enterprise then.

It's very difficult to find suitable female athletes, since most of them are still alive, but it's always good to find some.

Unfortunately, Tonya Harding is still alive.
I wanted to propose Dana Zátopková - wife of Emil Zátopek, but I found out she's still alive. She's 95 years old.

I found a great deceased female athlete:

Fanny Durack (Australian swimmer, died in 1956)

Charlotte Dod - tennis, archery, golf, hockey. Possibly the most versatile
female athlete of all time.

Lionel Edmund Rose - the first Indigenous Australian to win a world title.
Johnny Weismuller - star of Tarzan movies and a top knotch swimmer.

Top Bottom