Great Athletes

I'm all for adding Great Athletes/Entertainers, it could lead to some fun late game additions like the Olympic Games, etc.

Well, the Modern Olympic Games is a late game 'event', but the original Olympic Games date (traditionally) to the 8th century BCE, so are Pre-Classical Era.
And I'm surprised nobody mentioned among female athletes, Cynisca of Sparta, a gold medal ('Titan') winner in the 4-horse chariot race in the original Greek Olympic Games. Also Leonidas of Rhodes, who won 12 Titans in various running events (including the foot race in full armor, which in Greek summer had to have been a grueling event!), a record not broken until 2016 by Michael Phelps.

With the new loyalty system the idea of "Great Entertainers" (including athletes) seems even better. In addition to amenities they could affect loyalty/disloyalty, Golden Ages, and maybe even a bit of culture. Since Dark Ages increase city disloyalty, Great Entertainers could help keep unhappy cities placated--the "circus" part of bread and circuses.

It could include gladiators, Olympians, and storytellers for the earlier eras; bards, jesters, and dancers for the middle ones; and actors, athletes, circus performers, and comedians for the late ones. Puppet show performers like those of Punch and Judy would be a good fit as well.

Last edited:
With the new loyalty system the idea of "Great Entertainers" (including athletes) seems even better. In addition the amenities they could affect loyalty/disloyalty, Golden Ages, and maybe even a bit of culture. Since Dark Ages increase city disloyalty, Great Entertainers could help keep unhappy cities placated--the "circus" part of bread and circuses.

It could include gladiators, Olympians, and storytellers for the earlier eras; bards, jesters, and dancers for the middle ones; and actors, athletes, circus performers, and comedians for the late ones. Puppet show performers like those of Punch and Judy would be a good fit as well.

Of course, since many early pieces of Great Writing was originally declaimed aloud in public by design, would Herodotus, Aesop, and Homer be Great Writers or Great Entertainers?

Of course, since many early pieces of Great Writing was originally declaimed aloud in public by design, would Herodotus, Aesop, and Homer be Great Writers or Great Entertainers?

Well considering there are only about 2-5 Great People an era and most civs have little need for amenity-increasing in the earliest ones, their progression could be a flip from some of the GWAMs (ie: writers go from 5 per era in the earliest ones to 2 and then only 1 in the latest), starting from 2 in the earliest and increasing in later eras.

Classical
1. A Roman gladiator, extending the reach of an Entertainment district (lighter version of the Colosseum with just the extension)
2. An Olympian, boosting Amenities from Entertainment District buildings
3. A performer from classical India or China, making Entertainment Districts provide Culture

Medieval
1. A bard, making a Great Work and providing +1 Amenities to the city it is created in (like how Joan of Arc creates a Relic despite being a General)
2. Someone that pioneered a style of dance (French or English?), increasing progress to a Golden Age
3. A jester, significantly reducing disloyalty in the city he/she is activated

Renaissance
1. An actor that reduces the threshold to a Dark Age (making you less likely to enter one)
2. A satirical performer that increases disloyalty when activated at the borders of another civ
3. A ballerina that provides a burst of culture based on a current city's amenities

Industrial
1. A circus ringleader (or P.T. Barnum if we're being specific) that allows some sort of circus building or project that boosts amenities
2. A circus act that boosts adjacency bonuses for ECs
3. A traveling show owner (wild-west?) that increases loyalty based on distance from the capital (farther cities get more loyalty)
4. A puppeteer that increases domestic tourism

Modern
1. A silent movie actor/tress that increases loyalty based on Great Works
2. A movie director that boosts GWAM points
3. An athlete that boosts amenities from stadiums and makes them provide tourism
4. A second athlete (there are lots of them) that immediately builds a stadium in an EC and provides an amenity

Atomic
1. A newspaper comic artist that allows amenities to spread to 5 cities instead of 4 (7 for the Aztecs, I guess)
2. A singer/dancer/performer (ala MJ or Cab Calloway) that makes Theater Districts provide an Amenity
3. An animated moviemaker that boosts progress to a Golden Age and creates a Great Work
4. An animal tamer that provides amenities from adjacent cattle/deer/whatever when activated
5. A radio entertainer that boosts Golden Age progress based on domestic tourism

Information
1. A comedian/enne that decreases disloyalty of all cities in a radius
2. A TV/soap opera actor that increases cultural pressure for tourism in the city he or she is activated in
3. A Broadway performer that gives progress to a Golden Age based on the number of Theater Districts
4. An athlete that boosts both domestic and foreign tourism when activated in a city with a stadium
5. A modern dancer that provides amenities when activated in a city based on its number of Great Works

Since there's plenty of speculation that Canada might become a civ, Terry Fox would be an interesting Great Entertainer: he can increase the loyalty of distant cities connected to the capital by road, as well as increasing science output.

Baseball Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett however is deceased, so he can be added in (and an achievement could be made called "Kirby Super Star" that involves retiring Kirby Puckett in an Entertainment Complex).

The problem with that is that most achievements pertaining to specific great people or wonders have to be absurdly hard to pull off for some arbitrary reason, to the point where you have to effectively engineer an entire game just to do them. This sounds too simple. I propose "Kirby's Epic Yarn", that involves recruiting Kirby Puckett on one continent, then expending him on a different continent in an entertainment complex adjacent to an improved cotton resource.

Last edited:
If you put in Babe Ruth and his ability is to build a stadium in an EC that also provides tourism, an achievement could be 'House that Ruth Built'. Use Babe Ruth to build a stadium in New York.

Ancient athletes could include Spartacus (even though he'd be closer in role to General) and the pankrationist referred to as "Fingertips" (I know he broke people's fingers, but I don't know any other ancient wrestlers XD).

As for more modern athletes, my first thoughts would be Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Jackie Robinson, Jesse Owens, Pelé (although he's still alive), André the Giant, and you might even include Secretariat and Ron Turcotte, represented onscreen like a cavalry unit.

The problem with that is that most achievements pertaining to specific great people or wonders have to be absurdly hard to pull off for some arbitrary reason, to the point where you have to effectively engineer an entire game just to do them. This sounds too simple. I propose "Kirby's Epic Yarn", that involves recruiting Kirby Puckett on one continent, then expending him on a different continent in an entertainment complex adjacent to an improved cotton resource.
...or an improved sheep resource. Yarn can also be made from wool.

I thought yarn had to be made from wool.

On the note of having "Great Entertainers" instead of "Great Athletes," I'd probably try to keep the number of athletes in the category to a minimum. That might not be an option in earlier eras, but if you can have it include actors, showmen, and Jim Henson, I'd prefer you made room for more unique stuff like that. I still personally don't feel attached to the idea though. I think a lot of these concepts still bleed over too much into the territory of other Great People types.

I thought yarn had to be made from wool.

A Yarn can also be spun out of thin air, but in that case the spinners are people like Ring Lardner or Samuel Clemens or Bret Harte - or Politicians, who might comprise another category of 'Great Entertainers' entirely...

I'd be quite excited to see Great Statesmen added. Presuming there were a bunch of Americans in that category, at least.

Top Bottom