1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great attention given to lore and sci-fi in civilopedia

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by marioflag, Oct 24, 2014.

1. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

One of the things which have most impressed me in Beyond Earth is the love and attention to details given to technology, buildings, wonders and civilizations descriptions in civilopedia. There are enough narrative elements and sci-fi lore which enhance the immersion in the game making the overall gaming experience better. In my opinion this is one of the elements which distinguishes a beautiful game from a good one.

What is your opinion about civilopedia descriptions?
    Do they improve your immersion and gaming experience?

2. jeremy0192

jeremy0192 Chieftain

Such as?

3. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Such as Civilizations background, Manticore description and a lot of other entries.

4. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

Yeah they do , the Ambiance is definitely one of the strong point of this game !

5. mnf

mnf King

Civilopedia is great but I've always wished it could actually be useful...

For example when I got my first orbital unit I opened up the Civilopedia to see what other nice Orbital Units I get. I ended up having to browse through the whole unit list to find the orbital units.

When I wanted to know what forests do in this game, and when I wanted to know what (if any) buildings are only available to a city on the coast/fresh water, I couldn't find an answer from the Civilopedia---unless I was to go through each and every single listed building and summarize the information my self.

It's great lore, but it's the worst possible reference material for a strategy game.

6. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

The civilopedia was heavy on lore details. It kept me busy for the first half of the game until I found out I went down the wrong path and ended up losing to SF.

PS emancipation purity vic has perhaps the most demanding conditions, make sure to tech properly or else

7. Magean

Magean Prince

I agree with that. The fact that the lore is so developed in the Civilopedia leads to believe that the devs really enjoyed designing that game, and didn't set out with the idea "hey, let's reskin Civ V for Sci-Fi !".

8. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

The problem is that all this lore should be in the game, not the CIVpedia.

Do I want to interrupt my game flow every few turns to read a page long snipped of lore? Not really, no.
    It's like that Destiny thing: "Go online, visit our home page and learn more about the story!" - No, thank you, I'd rather play your game.

9. 2000AD

2000AD Chieftain

Obviously it's very simular to Alpha Centauri in that respect, though one area that AC was better was that they had the multiple voice actors reading out the quotes from their respectice faction leaders. That allowed even new players to get a sense of each persons character, just through linking their voice to different things, whereas having just one narrator makes it so there's a disconect.
    They already had the actors doing the talking diplomacy heads, why not have them read out their Civlopedia quotes as well?