[GS] Great Baths worth it?

ubergeneral

Warlord
The big surprise is a new early game wonder. Great Baths are available almost on turn 1. I know some players don't like early wonders so I'm wondering how the veterans feel about this one.

What uses do you think it will have?

The AI prioritizes it especially on higher difficulties so I'll probably never be able to build it unless I'm China and go all in for it. The wonder itself is ok, probably better than Temple of Artemis most of the time, but it isn't worth the opportunity cost as it sucks up so much early game production.

yeah not sure about this one. i built it in 11 turns (quick) because i had a good spot to grow tall with floodplains farms and thought i wouldn't need food boosts from flooding. faith boosts came quite late compared to when i built it

I maxed out the disaster setting and 1 turn after I settled as the Maori, flooding killed my extra two population and smashed 7 tiles. So if you dial disasters to 11 and your starting city is along a river, get it. Otherwise I would ignore it.

I maxed out the disaster setting and 1 turn after I settled as the Maori, flooding killed my extra two population and smashed 7 tiles. So if you dial disasters to 11 and your starting city is along a river, get it. Otherwise I would ignore it.

You don't even have to 'dial up' disasters. Starting at standard (Disaster Level 2) with Hungary, got a start with a half-dozen Flood Plains tiles along a river. First Flood on Turn 4. Second Flood on Turn 20. Third Flood on Turn 45. By that time 2 of my three Flood Plain Farms were gone and one Warrior took 40% damage by being 'flooded out'. I would have eagerly built the Great Baths if I could have got them, but some Civ off in the Fog built it by Turn 22.

First Impression from playing a couple of 'familiarizing' game starts on 'standard' map settings: there are Flood Plains Everywhere and Flood Events are by far the most common 'natural disaster', at least in the early game. There was a volcano about 8 tiles from my Hungary start and up util Turn 60 it hadn't even belched a smoke puff: I suspect Volcanic Eruptions will be more destructive, but a lot less common while Floods will be common but only disturbing rather than dangerous, and then only after you've filled the flood plains with Flod-flimsy Improvements.

I can attest to the AI beeline for GB. They all gun for it as soon as possible. It makes sense, though, because floods are rampant, even at 2.

That said, looking at GB benefits, it would be a great wonder if the opportunity costs weren’t so high.

The AI definitely likes it. I've played 3-4 starts at this point. Built it once as Inca when I had lots of production just to see the video. Yields are pretty good, but I think the main thing is it will distract the AI from building other early wonders/ spamming units. Which opens up some possibilities.

Just a followup: On my current game as Mali, I actually had the time and ability to snag GB before the AI. I have had three floods since finishing it, and it really is a lifesaver. Not only does it cover the tiles in your city, but also the entire course of the river. Plus, there is a housing and amenities boost, which is a lovely perk.

If you’re in a neighborhood of a long, flood-prone river system, please don’t dismiss this guy. It’s quite beneficial.

In my current game (marathon), the GB is still up for grabs in the Medieval era. Although Artemis, Stonehenge, and Gardens have all been taken now.

It seems to me that Floodplain cities don't often have much production until fertilized. And the AI isn't smart enough to focus on productive tiles when there are high yield food tiles available to work.

Top Bottom