1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Beer Hall

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by 2metraninja, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

I think it is fair enough to specify the bet anyway you want if you just get someone to bet against you. We already have a precedent as I bet an ale, instead of just a lousy normal beer.

2. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

It is beer hall with a little additional thing in mind. Beer is generally cheaper and less alcoholic than vodka or whiskey, so you can easily can have a lot of those and betting a beer is not something you will mind losing to be afraid to bet. Also, it is alcoholic, because betting comes with bragging and taking not well thought risks. This is what I had in mind when I named it beer hall. Some betting, some bragging, etc.

3. 2metraninja

My bad, I went back and read that you actually bet beer on RB being ready to give us NAP. In this case:

Sommers, beware, buddy, you will lose this one!

4. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Murky was not the best word, I guess.

I meant it would be more reasonable to bet as of the time of last Scooter's talk with Yossa? Dare to take that bet, Sommers? :devil: Think about all the shipping costs, too, may be cheaper to deliver all these 24 bottles in person ;)

5. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

6. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

I think Sommers owes me 24 beers :D Although as a prudent lawyer, he was careful to leave the state of our bet not completely clear ;)

7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Sorry Maga just go back and read what bet I proposed (and you rejected). We couldn't settle the bet until after the game is over and we read the forums anyway, but since you rejected the bet there is nothing to settle.

8. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

I was afraid we would find our there was no posts on the arbitrary date you set and you could argue that even though RB posted they would offer us a NAP two days before the date you pick and two days afterwards you could argue we had no info on their state of mind on the date you picked :lol:

We both know that I have won that one :D - and I did not care for the beers anyway, it was not the reason I made that bet, I cannot even drink in any forseeable future :(

9. 2metraninja

Here I must agree with Maga. Turned out that RB indeed do desire NAP with us and as I understand it, this is what was the whole bet about.

10. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Thank you, 2metra - I appreciate your support :D Will share the beers with you, in case Sommers delivers ;)

11. Sommerswerd

You misunderstand the bet buddy;). RB desires a NAP with us now, but circumstances have changed since that bet was proposed (over 2 weeks ago). If I made a bet now that CivFr wants a NAP with us and then 20-30-50 turns later when they ask for a NAP I say "See! I told you they wanted a NAP!" :nono: You would rightly say that this does not count.

I was trying to bet on RB's state of mind at-the-time of the bet, but Maga rejected that... so sorry guys/gals... Well sorry to Maga, I already owe 2metra some beers.

12. Sommerswerd

Now THAT is how you accept a bet! :beer:

13. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Come on, Sommers - you know it is lame :lol:

OK, so what about this bet - that we will not find an indication in RB forums that they would not sincerely wanted to give us NAP between the time I proposed the bet and now?

14. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

@Sommers, I am very glad that you agree that that is an honorable way to take a bet :rotfl:

I could have, instead, e.g. said: "2metra, I bet you that on July 11th, 2013 in the very second of 11:27 am of the Central US time there existed at least one somewhat UCiv associated person that in their soul of souls harbored some doubts about razing RB's GT city :p". Of course, even if the RB's GT city would be razed, I could never pay 2metra his beers pointing out this deleted post from similar time and claiming that it was not proven "beyond any doubt" that all UCiv members were determined to raze RB's GT city at July 11th, 2013 11:27 am of the Central US time :p:lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. Sommerswerd

Don't worry Maga, there will be other opportunities to make more bets. But if your gonna accuse me of making lame excuses to get out of bets I don't see why you would want to make another bet with me? ;)

When I make a bet and I lose, I admit it, period. My track record is solid. Here, I proposed a bet, but the bet never materialized because you wanted to negotiate terms. Now the opportunity has passed, and you feel like you would have won so you want to go back and revive the bet... No thanks... I'll wait for the next one.;)

16. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

I agree that you are normally good at admitting you are wrong. But you seem to be blindsided by your dislike of RB.

We are talking about a serious matter here: you were convincing the team that we should not consider RB's NAP offer at all as it was not real. You were wrong. You refuse to admit it :(

And yes, I do not find an "empty" bets funny - betting what would RB did at a chosen time to the very second was silly - it is practically sure that we will never find a post from this very time. So you can bet 1,000,000s of beers for theatrical effect with no risk at all. Perhaps it was not you intention, but I do not consider it fair or reasonable, rather a cheap rhetoric.

Anyway, the whole purpose of the bet was my hope that you may realize your anti-RB bias - looks like I lost anyway :(.

17. Sommerswerd

This situation sounds like...
    Sommers- "I bet The Reds will win the next night-game against the Blues."
    Maga - "No the Reds can't beat the Blues. Make the bet that the Blues will win the next game."
    Sommers- "No I am betting the Reds will win the next night game against Blues which is on August 1"
    Maga - "Let's just make it the next game, day or night, whenever that is"

No answer... July games come, Reds lose every game against the Blues

Maga - "Hey! Reds lost, you owe me"
    Sommers - "We never bet"
    Maga - "OK lets bet that Reds lose the next game against the Blues"
    Sommers- "No Thanks"
    Maga - "Lame!"

:)

18. Sommerswerd

I am responding in RB thread as this is valid, important points you are making, not to be missed or trivialized in the beer-betting thread.:)

19. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Thank you - that was the whole idea :)

My last word on the trivial beer matter - your own best buddy, 2metra, is with me on that one - even though he admits that agreeing with me on anything is painful ;) Sapienti sat :p

I know you like to argue, so I hope they will be no hard feelings :love:

20. Sommerswerd

Hard feelings?:confused: Me?? About Civ?!? :lol:

:love: